How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmereldagrubb
Hmmm, maybe your metabolism slowed and you should eat little substantial meals every few hours....dont worry , 4 pounds is nothing....it could be water weight as your weight fluctuates throughout the month. Dont get mad at yourself, just try something different if its not working for you.
Thank you so very much for your gentle words, hopefully it is just waterweight you gave me hope

06-08-2005
front row

Fashionista-ta I would LOVE your spaghetti recipe, I'm obsessed with pastas (which is probably what gets me in trouble sometimes) so your diet recipe is exactly what I need! You're amazing!

06-08-2005
front row

Cheepmunk I had no idea artificial sweeteners were so bad for you. Thanks for the heads-up article. Question though, I only use "Splenda" is that bad for me too? Thanks again for the awesome information
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheepmunk
Even though it apparently has more calories, a bottle of water and a handful of nuts or trail mix would be much healthier for you and would go a long way to keeping your body happy. It will also help keep your metabolism up between meals.

Artificial sweeteners, as a whole, are very bad for the body, and WebMD suggests that artificial sweeteners may actually sabotage weight gain. This article goes into slightly more depth, actually mentioning the results of the study. Either way, the upshot is that artificial sweeteners (and most processed foods) are something your body is not well-equipped to handle.

06-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
One of my favorite meals (dinners) when I'm on a diet is spaghetti with parmesan. Sounds decadent, but if you make the sauce yourself with low-fat ground sirloin, add very little fat, tons of veggies, and use thick pasta (glycemic index), the sauce is less than a calorie a gram and no snack needed. (I can give you what passes for a recipe at my house if anyone's interested )

Another snack idea--cottage cheese with a bit of pure fruit (from a jar) or fresh fruit on top. Fresh raspberries this time of year are so wonderful ... Good breakfast too.
Great ideas! And yes, please post your recipe for the pasta. Another pasta lover here! :p Pasta has been given quite a bad rep due to the low carb craze but I think home cooked pasta as fashionista-ta pointed out can be low fat and fills you. My favourite recipe:-

cook however much pasta you want (tri-colored fusulli makes my dish colorful)

saute some garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil, throw in loads of mushrooms [my choices - chinese white fungus (adds crunch to the dish), straw mushrooms and white abalone mushrooms (has a meat-like texture)], add any type of veg available in your fridge (or mix veg from a bag), stirfry everything until fragrant and dump in as much low fat pasta sauce (I get mine from Tesco's) as you like. Scatter fresh / dried herbs herbs (I love thyme and rosemary and oregano) and slosh over the fusilli.

07-08-2005
V.I.P.

No one's mentioned shrimps/sea food. Not exactly a snack..but..I love them shrimps (not fried) and crab meat.

Also, low-calorie yoghurt. I usually have one that's around 75 - 100 calories, and it keeps me full for a couple of hours, especially if I have tea with it.

front row

Bluestar07 that sounds like a delicious recipie! I can't wait to try it this weekend. If you've got anymore yummy recepies I would certainly be grateful, as I'm sure would everyone else in this thread. You sound like quite the chef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar07
Great ideas! And yes, please post your recipe for the pasta. Another pasta lover here! :p Pasta has been given quite a bad rep due to the low carb craze but I think home cooked pasta as fashionista-ta pointed out can be low fat and fills you. My favourite recipe:-

cook however much pasta you want (tri-colored fusulli makes my dish colorful)

saute some garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil, throw in loads of mushrooms [my choices - chinese white fungus (adds crunch to the dish), straw mushrooms and white abalone mushrooms (has a meat-like texture)], add any type of veg available in your fridge (or mix veg from a bag), stirfry everything until fragrant and dump in as much low fat pasta sauce (I get mine from Tesco's) as you like. Scatter fresh / dried herbs herbs (I love thyme and rosemary and oregano) and slosh over the fusilli.

07-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight fairy
No one's mentioned shrimps/sea food. Not exactly a snack..but..I love them shrimps (not fried) and crab meat.

Also, low-calorie yoghurt. I usually have one that's around 75 - 100 calories, and it keeps me full for a couple of hours, especially if I have tea with it.
Twilight Fairy the yogurt idea is really good. I love yogurt! Usually for a good meal (like breakfast or something) I will have some low calorie yogurt, cut up a banana in it, and occasionally toss in some other fresh fruit. It's extremely healthy, filling, and not to mention sweet!! I definitely recommend the fruit&yogurt idea to others, you'll be pleased with how much you like it

07-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaballerina
Bluestar07 that sounds like a delicious recipie! I can't wait to try it this weekend. If you've got anymore yummy recepies I would certainly be grateful, as I'm sure would everyone else in this thread. You sound like quite the chef
Actually contrary to what a lot of people think, pasta dishes are darned easy to whip up.

07-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Fashionista-ta I would LOVE your spaghetti recipe, I'm obsessed with pastas (which is probably what gets me in trouble sometimes) so your diet recipe is exactly what I need! You're amazing!
OK, here it is guys ... I just made it today so I still have all the spices out

My grocery store is kind enough to often have packages of chopped onions, sliced mushrooms of a variety of types, and minced garlic (several cloves' worth) prepared.

So I start by sauteing the mushrooms in about a T or so of olive oil or butter (margarine--partially hydrogenated fat--is another very, very bad thing). Unfairly, olive oil has a few more calories (about 20) per T than butter, but obviously it has health benefits as well. If you need more moisture as you're sauteing, add some wine. You could probably do this instead of any added fat ... I try to keep it to 2T added fat or less overall. (Remember the calories in wine are in the alcohol which will mostly evaporate during the cooking process, but will leave flavor behind. It's really a good idea to add a bit of alcohol to anything you're cooking for awhile--vodka works too if you don't have wine in the house--some flavors are only alcohol-soluble so you simply won't taste them otherwise.)

When mushrooms are done, set aside in a bowl and saute the onions, garlic, and celery (most or all of a bunch--make sure you get one with a big heart and lots of leaves--those have the best flavor) till onions start to brown. When done, add to bowl.

You could make this vegetarian, but if you like meat, saute .75-1.5 lb 96% non-fat ground sirloin. There's so little fat that I don't drain it, but you can. While the meat is still in a big lump, season with salt, ground black pepper, freshly-ground white pepper, cayenne pepper, and Worcestershire or soy sauce. Then break up and cook the pink out. When pink is gone, add veggies and the juice from a can of San Marzano tomatoes immediately (this preserves the tenderness of the meat). (Yes, the tomato brand really matters.) Chop the tomatoes in chunks (cutting the stem part out), or if you were lucky enough to find them pre-chopped (Williams-Sonoma carries them), pour it all in. Add tomato puree and paste to achieve desired thickness.

Season with (all these are Spice Islands) garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, oregano, cracked California bay laurel leaves, parsley, fines herbes, and spaghetti sauce seasoning. Also brown sugar (for diet purposes, a T or two--or skip, but I really like it). Alternatively you could try a bit of molasses.

Let simmer for 10 minutes or so, taste, and correct seasoning.

Let simmer while you cook your spaghetti. I like De Cecco spaghettini, but you'd be better off going even thicker. Top with fresh grated Parmegianno-Regianno.

Tip: you may want to weigh your pasta and parmesan till you can judge the portion you want. I generally do 2 oz of pasta per serving (100 calories per oz).

Enjoy

07-08-2005
trendsetter

Fruits, porridge, soup etc. are all really good low cal. snacks.

07-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Thought of a few other things for ya ...

So the no-fat melba I was talking about, it's 15 calories a piece and I basically ditch all bread while I'm on my diet and use this instead. So: boiled egg with melba toast for breakfast (or lunch or dinner :p ). Melba toast with peanut butter and jelly or pure fruit (very filling for when you have that hunger that you know a carrot is not going to take care of). Tuna salad with melba (I sub pickle juice for most of the mayo--it has calories of course but less).

I had never been on a diet until a few years ago. When I finally decided it was necessary, my deal with myself was that I didn't have to give up wine or chocolate. I would have about 2 oz of wine (not that many calories and very good for your frame of mind) with dinner, and for chocolate, the best thing I have found is Bahlsen Afrika wafers coated in dark chocolate, a bit more than 20 calories per. These are a good snack or dessert. And they're German so most people reading this should be able to get them! Dove Promises are about 44 or so calories per as I recall for when you just really have to sink your teeth into some chocolate ...

I also drink a lot of hot tea. Good for you, satisfying, comforting, and no calories. Lots of different flavors to be collected ...

07-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by *EllaH
Fruits, porridge, soup etc. are all really good low cal. snacks.
This reminded me ... I got this from Oprah. Good lunch or dinner.

Cook stone-cut oatmeal (a whole different animal from rolled oats). Add fresh blueberries, a few toasted almonds, and a bit of real maple syrup. Good for you, tastes totally decadent, and really fills you up. Most of the ingredients are on a lot of top 10 foods that are good for you lists.

07-08-2005
front row

Thanks fashionista-ta for that wonderful recepie. You were so detailed and careful to explain everything. I appreciate your effort and advice. I can't wait to cook it up tonight!!!

07-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Question for anyone who might know: will sugar-free Jello make you put on weight? does it have any hidden chemicals that might make you add a few pounds? i ask this because I've been snacking on this sugar-free Jello lately (10 cals per serving, 40 for whole thing) to help me stay full in between meals while I've been watching my weight, and I've actually gained about 4 pounds recently. what's up with that? do you think it's this new snack or something else i'm doing wrong
You're most welcome for the recipe, Prima, I hope you enjoy it!

Forgot to mention about the 4 pounds ... I think I know what that is. I'm pretty sure there's no fiber in sugar-free Jello :p One thing you have to be careful of when you diet is that you maintain the same level of fiber from good stuff like fruits and veggies and whole grains. There are also fiber supplements you can take--just a capsule with a glass of water, and actually these are good for filling you up too (and absorbing fat). So anyway, sometimes when you go on a diet and your fiber intake changes, your whole system can kinda grind to a halt.

If the solutions mentioned above don't do the trick, one natural way to get it moving again is an herbal supplement called Cascara Compound. This is not something you want to take 24/7 probably (although some people do), but it's far more gentle than anything at the drugstore.

I definitely experience some water weight issues during the course of the month, but it's more like a max of maybe 2.5 lbs (your mileage may vary). A good thing to do is to weigh yourself every morning before breakfast and note the results down so you can see the arc over the month. I usually experience a "sudden" loss after my period when the water retention "breaks." The most important thing is not to beat yourself up if there's a gain. There's a natural give and take and you've got several variable pounds at any given time whether you notice or not.

Good luck

07-08-2005
front row

Fashiionista-ta you are the absolute BEST! You have been supportive throughout my whole sudden weight-gain experience, and your kind advice has been so encouraging. Thank you for your continuous tips and gentle ways- you don't know how much it means to me

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fave, healthy, snack