How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-03-2007
trendsetter

Does anyone have any suggestions for really dark lipsticks?

I'm begining to greatly prefer them over lighter colors. I got NARS Shanghai Express today--if you just put on a little, it looks light red, but if you lather it on it looks much darker. :Wub: But I would still like something deeper, and more wine colored.

05-04-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavement
Does anyone have any suggestions for really dark lipsticks?

I'm begining to greatly prefer them over lighter colors. I got NARS Shanghai Express today--if you just put on a little, it looks light red, but if you lather it on it looks much darker. :Wub: But I would still like something deeper, and more wine colored.
Philosophy's Word of Mouth Lipstick in "Graduation." It's an elegant, dark, classic color reminiscent of the 1940's era and the glamorous movie stars. Amazon.com has it in stock. I'm on my third tube. It has great staying power and one application lasts a long time.

In the tube it looks very dark, however you can put it on as light or heavy as you'd like. There are no blue undertones and it will not turn fuchsia.

I believe this will fit your criteria for both darkness and the color you would like.

Last edited by Lisa314; 05-04-2007 at 01:31 AM.
05-04-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa314
Philosophy's Word of Mouth Lipstick in "Graduation." It's an elegant, dark, classic color reminiscent of the 1940's era and the glamorous movie stars...
Is the picture on Amazon a good representation of the real thing? The picture looks pretty light to me.

Salvation looks really very luscious to me. ..but that's more wine, and this is a red lipstick thread.

05-04-2007
rising star

Red lipstick is my thing, has been since I was old enough to wear it. I don't do heavy eye makeup at all but I do like my red lipsticks.

I have and like:

MAC Russian Red- just recently bought this after wanting it for ages, and it's everything I wanted in a red lipstick and more. It's blue-red on me.

Chanel Hydrabase 22 Rouge Star- was originally my sister's but she gave it to me. A very nice, medium neutral red.

MAC Powerhouse- discontinued I think (I bought it four years ago and it still looks brand new). It is BRIGHT. A loud orangey-red.

MAC New York Apple- it's not a vibrant red - more like a slightly frosty raspberry - but works well with red lipliner underneath for night or can be worn more subtly during the day.

For reference, I have fair-to-medium slightly pink-toned skin that tans easily, blonde hair, and blue eyes.

06-04-2007
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavement
Is the picture on Amazon a good representation of the real thing? The picture looks pretty light to me.

Salvation looks really very luscious to me. ..but that's more wine, and this is a red lipstick thread.
No...it is not a good representation of the color unfortunately. Colors on computers are dependant on so many different factors. It's a lot darker than the sample showed. I get a lot of compliments when I wear it and it is not a garish look at all. It's worth a try IMHO.

07-04-2007
trendsetter

how to wear a red lip stick with out look too overwhleming on the face?
every time i try like a dark (simply more pigmantated colour), i look like a lil girl trying to wear her mom's lipstick o.o

trendsetter

does anyone wear red lipstick in the daytime? I'm a brunette with fairly pale skin but yellow undertones.. would the Mac ruby woo be good?

24-04-2007
rising star

just_me, I am a fan of wearing red lipstick during the day, especially in the cooler months and especially a deep red. If you snag the right red for your complexion then it should be able to be worn all the time.

Re Ruby Woo: Check out makeupalley.com for reviews. Hopefully that will give you an idea of whether it would suit your colouring.

24-04-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_me
does anyone wear red lipstick in the daytime?
I'll wear it during the day when the weather is cool, but in the summertime I just feel like a ghost. I'll tone it down if I'm feeling this way.

But most of the time I figure, not all women feel they can wear red, so since it suits me I'm going to wear it out.

25-04-2007
tfs star

I wear it too in the daytime, but I generally mix it with different amounts of beige for a more natural look

27-04-2007
trendsetter

Thanks for the reply's and joie thanks for the tip! <3

01-05-2007
front row

For red toned lip colors, I think Lacome always has some great deep shades that are matte but can be juicy too. They've always lasted a long time for me. My favorite right now is

Jezabel

I dont know why it looks so berry toned on the site. It definitely is a dark red once on your lips. I always use a lip liner because the color will bleed into my skin, it's not noticeable to other eyes, but I see it in the mirror.

MAC has this really cool thick red gloss that has a high shine, this is definitely not for wearing during the day.

Fanplastico Lacquer
(the swatch wont show up, they have their images protected. just follow the link.)
Same with the lip liner on this one.

I will wear different shades or red depending on the time of day. I have a more sheer berry variation for day time, but also a very deep dark red, almost purple for special weird ocassions.

I read a lot about not pairing the dramatic eye with the dramatic red lip, but sometimes, unless you do it, it wont look good. I think a good smoky eye or dewy lids looks good with red lips.

Last edited by PerfectPerfect; 01-05-2007 at 12:29 PM.
07-05-2007
trendsetter

nars in cruella.
it's a bit too red for me.
so i put on another red on top of it and they blend well.
i don't know the name.
it's by revlon though.
the lipstick isn't on me at the moment.

07-05-2007
trendsetter

I found a new favorite color. It's Penelope's Red by L'oreal. I like it because of my warm complexion and this is on the orange side. It also goes on sheer at first but is buildable.

I feel like buying more NARS lipsticks. I love their semi-matte formula.

08-05-2007
backstage pass

I am a red lipstick whore I like Dior's Trés Trés Dior and Holiday Red.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
finding, lipstick, perfect, red