How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-04-2006
crossed wires.

Good idea...I'd love to hear too, I love red lipstick!

27-04-2006
Storm & Sommer

The Red Lipstick..

If someone posts their favorite red lipstick could they also post their skintone / undertones ? Imo skintone and undertones really go hand in hand with wether a red lipstick looks great or just plain wrong..

From www.easylivingmagazine.com
Quote:
Skin tone Pout make-up artist, Dee McMahon says, "The single most important thing to be aware of when wearing red lipstick is your skin tone. Are you a warm red or a cool red?"
If your skin has pink undertones you should stick to reds that have a pink base whereas, if you have warm yellow tones, you will best suit a red with a golden or tawny base (also great for bringing out green eyes). If you're pale and pink, lipsticks that have a touch of blue will be the best match for you. Berry tone reds (plum, raspberry, and cherry) are best suited to Asian skin.
Dee adds, "If you come across a true primary red the colour of a London bus, grab it. This colour suits everyone."
Red is My Love"
By Elke Von Freudenberg
from www.make-upusa.com
Quote:
The color red is hotter than ever. And what better way to incorporate red than in your makeup? Red is one of the most dramatic makeup colors you can wear. It gets attention, you stand out in the crowd, and it's also the most misused, misunderstood color in the makeup field.
Let's take the mystery out of red.

LIPS: The first thing we think of is red lips. Yet, it can either look great, or horrible. What red works for you? An easy way to tell is to really look at that shade of lipstick.
All lipsticks have an undertone, or a color that is seen underneath the red. In red lipsticks, it can only be an undertone of:
yellow/orange (warm)
pink/blue/purple (cool)
or brown (neutral)
Yellow and orange undertones make red lipstick warm in tone, and work great for nearly all skin tones. It warms up the complexion, makes the skin tone look clear!
Pink, blue and purple undertones make the tone cool, and look best on those with light skin and cool undertones to their hair and skin.
Brown undertones are considered universal, because they look great on everyone.
What would look best on you?
Look at your skin tone, but ignore any red in your skin. Red is considered a discoloration, not a skin tone. The more yellow or brown you see in your skin, the more likely you'll like the warmer tones.
Is there an absence of yellow, or are you fairly pale? You'll like the cool undertones.
Still not sure? Then decide on the characteristic of the color you like better.
Warm colors always look softer, lighter, more romantic.
Cool colors will always look dramatic, sharp, clear.
What kind of a look are you looking for?
The newest way to wear red lipstick? Dabbed on as a tint with a slick of gloss over it, and without that precision lip line. More natural, and more real looking.
*still looking for that perfect red lipstick..*

Last edited by Hanne; 27-04-2006 at 10:55 AM.
27-04-2006
trendsetter

yeah hanne good point and good idea^^..they should descibe their skin tone along with their fav red lipstick that way people can get an idea of what shades would work

Last edited by *Hypnotic*; 27-04-2006 at 10:57 AM.
27-04-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab_fifties_fille
Good idea...I'd love to hear too, I love red lipstick!
Thanks fab fifties fille Can't wait for responses!

27-04-2006
trendsetter

Right now i'm using MAC Pro Longwear Lipcolour B75
It comes with a gloss application also...it stays on pretty
well and lasts up to eight hours...i like it...
it's a beautiful lipstick but it's not "the one" and i don't love it

27-04-2006
Fashionably Late

Lola Cosmetics makes a very red Gwen Stefani type lipstick. I got a mini tube once as a sample and really liked it.

27-04-2006
backstage pass

i love red lipstick!
i used to live for anna sui's 404 it's a darker red, but it went on so smooth and had a gorgeous color...i think it was just a little too dark..i still use it sometimes...but i don't prefer it anymore..

actually as i type this, i'm wearing MAC lipstick 'vinyl'..it's discontinued..sadly..but i do find it doesn't stay very well...so understandable that it's been d/c'd..
i also use 'ruby woo' by mac, but it's a matte, and not very smooth, i've found...i love the color though, and it stays like there's no tomorrow...
i didn't actually think of it until now..but i wanna try ruby woo with vinyl on top!

i'm definately still looking for the perfect red ... it's a HARD search!

btw, i'm pale skinned, with pink-ish undertones

trendsetter

Julie Hewett specializes in red lipsticks http://www.juliehewett.net/whichredareyou.htm

28-04-2006
trendsetter

Not exactly a lipstick, but Stila Strawberry lipglaze is the only red I've ever been able to pull off. I've very fair and have delicate features, so any other red I've ever tried - even if it was the right shade - was too overpowering.

28-04-2006
fashion icon

i wish i could carry off red lipstick

28-04-2006
leave me with your Borneo

i'm pale with warm undertones, and i've tried a ridiculous number of red lipsticks and for some reason, NARS sheer ones work best for me. they are not moisturizing and have a more dry texture... but because of this they don't slide around and i don't have to worry so much about it ending up where it shouldn't. i wear 'flaming dust' (which is a sheer cherry red with subtle gold shimmer) when i feel more outgoing, and 'gipsy' (which is a darker but still sheer red) for a more subdued look. i love both and they're the only NARS products i ever spring for.

28-04-2006
trendsetter

^^ hi ragtag...welcome to tfs!
yeah...i'm olive complexed and most of the reds
i've tried so far are beautiful but just so empowering
on me...later on this week i'm gonna hit the makeup counters!
Hey...does anyone know of the red christina aguilera has
been wearing? I love that red and she looks so good with it!...
btw....ragtag....hope u have fun on here!

06-11-2006
fashion elite

Red Lips...Tips, Recommendations, Experience - everything that has to do with Red
Red lips, are very cliche yet amazingly sexy if you get the right tone that compliments your skin tone...I dont know how Chrisitan Agulieria does it, nor Marlyin Moonore, Madonna, and many more actress...they some how get it right...I would love to get the right red...but its a bit diffcuilt...i am tanned with black hair...any recommendations? or shall i just stick with nude and light pink glosses?
Thanks...

little soul

Like finding any lipstick colour, finding the right red is a matter of trial and error. Do you have a favourite make-up brand? If so, go to their counter and just try out every colour on your hand, or ask an SA to try it out on your lips, or for a recommendation. MAC has tons of colours, so that might be a good place to start.

Red is never just red, there are so many different variations on it and it can give a totally different look. Some have more blue undertones, some more orange...if you have a tan, you can go for a warmer red.

I was lucky in finding my perfect red lipstick. I wanted just a splash of colour, something dramatic for going out whilst keeping the rest of my makeup very neutral. I went to Armani and had an amazing SA who picked out my perfect colour in one go. I was very skeptical because I'm really pale, I thought it might look too shocking. Also, beware, the colour of the stick is not the colour that goes on your lips, so don't pass something up until you've tried it. My lipstick is very dark but when it goes on, it's the perfect ruby red...and it isGiorgio Armani Lipstick Mania number 9

Good luck in finding your perfect colour, it's really worth it when you do

07-11-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu_miu
Like finding any lipstick colour, finding the right red is a matter of trial and error. Do you have a favourite make-up brand? If so, go to their counter and just try out every colour on your hand, or ask an SA to try it out on your lips, or for a recommendation. MAC has tons of colours, so that might be a good place to start.

Red is never just red, there are so many different variations on it and it can give a totally different look. Some have more blue undertones, some more orange...if you have a tan, you can go for a warmer red.

I was lucky in finding my perfect red lipstick. I wanted just a splash of colour, something dramatic for going out whilst keeping the rest of my makeup very neutral. I went to Armani and had an amazing SA who picked out my perfect colour in one go. I was very skeptical because I'm really pale, I thought it might look too shocking. Also, beware, the colour of the stick is not the colour that goes on your lips, so don't pass something up until you've tried it. My lipstick is very dark but when it goes on, it's the perfect ruby red...and it isGiorgio Armani Lipstick Mania number 9

Good luck in finding your perfect colour, it's really worth it when you do
MiuMiu thank you for sharing your experince Karma...I am really looking for some sort of glossy red, i am thinking shall i get a lipstick or red gloss...I just want the focus to be on my lips...i have kinda small lips...i dont wear much of eye make up....and for some reason i am just yearning red lips...i have no idea why...!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
finding, lipstick, perfect, red