How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-03-2008
fashion elite

I really like the french manicure. It sounds cliche but I think it looks really very chic and pretty , the american manicure was exactly what I thought the french manicure was Looks the same to me

17-03-2008
tfs star

Neither I prefer just one colour. Actually that said I like that nails in post #4 but its still not really a french/american manicure.

17-03-2008
backstage pass

I remember reading somewhere that the "french" manicure was invented in Hollywood, to make actresses nails look fresh but "natural" when making costume dramas, because colored polish wouldn't have been appropriate for the time period in question. But that's probably just another beauty myth..

I used to do the lighter tips sometimes when I had longer nails. Now I like them short and in a solid, darker color.

17-03-2008
front row

I have false nails..i get a clear set and have the white airbrushed on....white tips are far too low and make your hands/fingers look stumpy.

I get the tip quite high and my extensions are only about 5mm long.

I cannot grow them long as they just break.

My faves nails to have are painted blood red....unfortunatly due to my job im not allowed this due to strict uniform regulations. So a clean french mani/set is my only option!

17-03-2008
it's a hard-knock life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by December_25th View Post
I have never heard of the American either. I always assumed the way I did my manicures was "French", although they tend to look more like the American version now that I've seen the pictures. I put a clear base coat, do the white tips, then paint over it with one or two coats of Essie's Mademoiselle. It makes my nails look a little bit pinker, yet still natural looking enough. Does that make it French or American? :p
i love essie polishes.

17-03-2008
fashion elite

i dont see a difference in the pictures in #1

17-03-2008
front row

the nail bed is supposed to appear longer...hence giving the illusion of a longer, more slender finger

Last edited by Juicy; 17-03-2008 at 05:45 PM.
20-04-2008
rising star

American mani...french looks cheap and trashy

26-02-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanne View Post
The file name of this picture actually says french manicure... so maybe it's not american?
http://www.beautynewsnyc.com/home/up...h_manicure.jpg

ETA: as does the caption "A classic French manicure."

Last edited by *Bianca*; 26-02-2009 at 12:58 AM.
26-02-2009
V.I.P.

Ugh neither, they're both tacky to me. Most people that I know here in Seattle do the French or American manicure-it is very rare that I see somebody who has an all-over colour on their nails, aside from a red or the occasional nude. Then you have me...who has an obsession with Essie's Aruba Blue and OPI's Lemonade Stand by Your Man.

26-02-2009
Storm & Sommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Bianca* View Post
The file name of this picture actually says french manicure... so maybe it's not american?
http://www.beautynewsnyc.com/home/up...h_manicure.jpg

ETA: as does the caption "A classic French manicure."
A lot of ppl call all manicures with a light tip for 'french manicure'.. I'm not aware if the distinction is 'officially' recognized in salon circles.. but when the distinction is made.. it's between offwhite(american) and white(french).

pinterest : hanneonpin
03-05-2009
windowshopping

i had no clue it was called american..i assumed it was french.
for american nails in history i liked the 50s and earlier curved nails with polish and the 70s long natural nails with or without polish the most. or short nails with polish.

i dont get the obsession with certain french tips mostly the razor sharp edges on the long versions where it looks as though you will hurt yourself and has no color polish on it. it seems pinup models love this look still.

07-05-2009
Fashion Designer

i dont get the diffrence between american and french manicure. honestly i did the french thing for quite some time, but never ever with fake nails.

i always had long nails, well not that long just long enough, and they always gre thick and nice but i got over them and started to do a solid color with shorter nails, then i entered fashion school and longer than just above the tip of my finger are a pain to work with.

i dont think ill go back to do french anytime soon, because the fakeness of nails around me right now is insane, not to mention the horrendous applications and glitter, rhinestones and whatnot they put on these days. i want to get away from that as much as i can.

i specially love bright bold colors like midnight blue, black and red
Veracruz3 003.jpg

and what about these? i dont think they can be called either french nor american lol
mitiendafavorita

Last edited by daniellat; 07-05-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: pic url
07-05-2009
Storm & Sommer

^ekk no I don't 'get' those embellished nails at all..

pinterest : hanneonpin
07-05-2009
Fashion Designer

oh the atrocities ive seen. spiral nails, pierced nails, filshbowl tank nails with a tiny fish in there floating around, but the worst sure is the ones that has a litte toy in them is like a crystal ball attached and it moves...its horrible

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, french, manicure