How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-01-2005
fashion insider

Glockengasse No. 4711 - Eau de Cologne

This is a classic cologne No. 4711 from Cologne, Germany that is made in Germany by Muelhens. It is very cheap, it comes it a very large bottle and costs around $25. When it comes to fragrances, I am quite a snob, if its cheap I don't go near it, but this one...it's a classic. Has anyone tried it, is it any good?

Thx,
Arturo

20-01-2005
spoilt victorian child

That is probably one of the oldest scents you can find. It's also called "Kölnische Wasser" which translates literally as "water from Cologne." In other words, it's the original eau de cologne.

Some interesting tidbits here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eau_de_Cologne

Anyway, it's indeed an überclassic scent, but I find it quite grannyish. I don't know any men who wear it, or women under the age of 50 for that matter.

Last edited by droogist; 20-01-2005 at 06:36 PM.
20-01-2005
etre soi-meme

here here, i used to wear it and i assure you, i'm UNDER 50..
its been fairly 'trendy' recently, i still have some left here...

love it because its
a-unisex
b-uncommon
c-very lemon-y
d-a real light eau de cologne
e-oldfashioned
f-great for spring -summer <only

btw, i wouldnt wear this in winter, it just dont feel right for winter months, its a spring summer smell , very proper , very eccentric , very kitch

20-01-2005
& b

^^ My grandfather has that bottle..I used to always spill it on the carpet when my cat peed on it

I actually liked the smell, but not that much, I prefer Cristalle from Chanel

Proponent of Plaid

My mom loves 4711! Her gran used to wear it and would let my mom and her sisters wear a drop when they were little kids, which of course made them feel very grown-up! So she likes it for the nostalgia value. It does have a very pleasant, subtle, and refreshing scent, though, so its longevity is well merited.

20-01-2005
spoilt victorian child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
here here, i used to wear it and i assure you, i'm UNDER 50..
Whoops! No offence meant. I suppose my opinion of 4711 has everything to do with the fact that my husband's grandmother wears it. And I just don't think it's very sexy to smell like my husband's grandmother.

20-01-2005
fashion insider

Apparently, almost everyone who knows about it here knows about it because of their grandparents...I highly doubt I would like it, as I'm very picky with fragrances and only like very few, more original fragrances.

Why is it so cheap though?

oh, thx droogist for the link!

20-01-2005
fashion insider

Oh, and the bottle is highly unnattractive, they could make it look more modern and classier, more sophisticated...right now it looks very grandma and grandpa...

20-01-2005
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo21
Oh, and the bottle is highly unnattractive, they could make it look more modern and classier, more sophisticated...right now it looks very grandma and grandpa...
No way! I adore the old-fashioned bottle. It is part of the attraction.

Anyway, before you write it off because it is inexpensive or because your grandparents liked it, or because it looks old-fashioned, try a sample of it at your local perfume shop and then decide.

It is a very soft, subtle, clean scent, quite suitable for young people, especially as a "first perfume" that you might want to give as a gift to your junior-high-aged niece.

Anyway, inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean awful. LUSH Cosmetics' Karma is an inexpensive scent which is very high quality and pleasant, as are essential oil blends. You can't get higher quality than a $8 bottle of unadulterated lavendar essential oil, which is also a pleasant perfume to wear.

21-01-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

yeah I agree with AYLI, I love the bottle! Never smelled it though! Haven't ever seen it around.

21-01-2005
fashion insider

The bottle is attractive in a way, but it really looks like a bottle for the elderly....I want to try it and since it is a classic I'll probably buy it. But really, when I'm buying a fragrance, I always consider the bottle, it adds to the experience, imo. A beautiful bottle is something that I admire in the cologne, it's just so nice to wake up in the morning and lighly spray cologne on yourself from a sleek, clean bottle or at night before going to an event. For bottles, these are the type that I like:

..You can see why I'm not particularly attracted to that bottle..actually, I find it repulsive..but that's just me.

21-01-2005
fashion insider

Oh, and AYLI...I wasn't writing it off because of the price just because I refuse to buy anything that is cheap just like that..no, it's only because I'm guessing if it's cheap it's lower quality, doesn't last long, etc.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
4711, cologne, eau, glockengasse