How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-04-2004
front row

Other than chocolat, is there something that can take away the pms?

18-04-2004
seagreen serenades

I wish..

18-04-2004
scenester

Cinammon tea.... Basically boil a cup of water and mix in a tspn of cinammon powder....

18-04-2004
trendsetter

Yelling at the person sitting next to you

18-04-2004
V.I.P.

im the worst PMSer you could possibly come across... i (almost) faint from pain and a week before im a total horrible psychopath. i yell at anyone and anything!
i cry whenever i can and i literally cant MOVE

i live on nurofens (ibuprofen) and anything chocolatey :punk:

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
18-04-2004
tgp
fashion elite

Midol pms pills help some.

18-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by DressageChick@Apr 18th, 2004 - 10:52 am
Yelling at the person sitting next to you
yes that's the best cure.

fruit. fruit help me chill out..and i kinda avoid everyone around myself.

rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by leyla m.@Apr 18th, 2004 - 10:56 am
im the worst PMSer you could possibly come across... i (almost) faint from pain and a week before im a total horrible psychopath. i yell at anyone and anything!
i cry whenever i can and i literally cant MOVE

i live on nurofens (ibuprofen) and anything chocolatey :punk:
I thought I was the only one

18-04-2004
backstage pass

Noooo! Why does this keep happening to me? Just as I press the post button, my internet connection gets hungry and decides to eat the post--meaning that I get the dreaded 'Cannot find server' page. Grrr.

I'm not going to bother repeating everything that I said, but basically:
My period isn't so bad now, but I'm doomed to have a really heavy flow because my mom and all of her sisters do. My mom bleeds like...whoa. She's kind of incredible. Gee, I'm really looking forward to that.

Anyway, I looked up some cures online and found this. There are some that I had heard of (exercise, warmth, advil) and some that were quite new (calcium, mineral baths, ...orgasms?). Anyway, I hope that that helps. Good luck and feel better soon!

18-04-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Actually, sometimes it is better to ignore the cravings you get with PMS. The caffeine from chocolate and soda can make the irritability worse, and salt from things like crisps and pretzels can make water retention worse. Not fair, is it?

Other things that can make PMS worse are foods from the nightshade family, most commonly bell peppers and potatoes. Again, what a ripoff!

To help with the cramping, be sure to get plenty of potassium. Bananas, apples, and melons (especially cantaloupes, honeydews, casabas, and carary melons) are great sources for potassium.

Some fruits and vegetables have natural diuretic properties, especially melons and asparagus, so this might help with the water-retention/bloating issues, also.

Taking extra B-complex vitamins before your period helps with alleviating some of the irritability and stress, and I have heard that evening-primrose oil and St. John's Wort are also good for this, though if you are taking other medicines for depression or medication for seizures, do not take the St. John's Wort. It can react with certain prescriptions. I used to use St. John's Wort for PMS before I started taking "Sarafem" (diet-Prozac!) for generalized depression. My underlying and chronic depression always got a LOT worse, pretty much unmanageable around PMS time. PMS has been just an annoying little blip on the radar since my depression has been taken under control.

Your pm box is full buggy

There's a drug out there that your gynosaurus(my slang for gyno) can prescribe you. It's called Sarafen... It takes away the mood swings, eases cramps when you have your period... and makes you a little happier.. (there's like a very tiny percent of prozac in it) ... lol.. I know I get really bad mood swings around that time.. so my doctor suggested it..

18-04-2004
backstage pass

OR birth control, at least for me. im period and pms free for 9 months out of the year (once every 4 months) talk to your doctor or local clinic and free yourself from the misery!!!

18-04-2004
Your pm box is full buggy

Yes... the pill would help too.

I was on ortho(when i was having bad mood swings.. and loooong heavy periods) It sucked so hard.

Now I'm on a lower hormone pill.. 3 day periods, hardly any cramps...

EDIT: crap i just realized As You Like It.. mentioned sarafem. My bad.

19-04-2004
front row

Thanks for the info guys (especially As you like it).

My pms is bad. I have a bad temper and I can get very emotional. But that's nothing compared to what it does on my body. I always look tired. I'm bloated all the time. And zits! AHHHHHHHH lol

19-04-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Yeah, I still haven't come across anything that helps with the pimples. I'm al;most 27, but for the week or so before my period, and for the whole of Rag Week, I have the greasy, bumpy, erupted skin of a 14-year-old. I get lots of breakouts on my back and butt, too To cap off all of the misery, you know. I find that a dot of "Queen Helene" mud masque, worn overnight on each pimple, helps draw it to a head and end the drama a few days sooner.

Birth Control Pills don't do the job for some of us. I remember having even worse, raging PMS when I was on the pill, and over the course of a 3 year period, I cycled through five different prescriptions of varying dosage levels. Besides the super-fun-times emotional rollercoaster, I had damn near every other side effect you can mention, from all-day nausea to near continual "spotting". Ortho and I never managed an amicable working relationship.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
deal, pms