How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-02-2006
Fat Karl

how do you do Pat McGrath make up?
What do you use and how do you create a signiture crazy Pat McGrath make up look like these?

25-02-2006
|/mirror queen\|

You have to have lots, and i do mean lots of years of practice and have lots of knowlege on products and application techniques.

rising star

do you really even want to?

25-02-2006
offline.

Get Pat McGrath to come and do your makeup... I dunno.. the stuff she does is crazy most of the time. I assume she's famous for a reason and probably wouldn't share many of her secrets... they're the reason for her fame.

25-02-2006
V.I.P.

I don't think it's easily learned, why do you ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynicepants
do you really even want to?
Well I don't think this is for an everyday look.

|/mirror queen\|

Maybe diorcouture wanted to know because it´s carnival

Fat Karl

Well...I'm going to a really fancy costume party and my friend and I are gong as an egyptian couple.....

So, what I need to know are several things

In this picture, what is used for the eyebrows and outer half of the eye? It looks like a glossy, very thin piece of cardstock....if not that, what is it? Secondly, I know she uses large metallic eyelashes...but all the glitter...? What is she using to put the glitter on the girl's face and how does she keep it from getting in their eyes?

Also...for the colored makeup, what make up does she use for faces like these?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm a guy...I know nothing about make up!

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 26-06-2009 at 11:23 PM.
27-02-2006
V.I.P.

Sorry but you'll fail miserably(especially if you "know nothing about makeup"). That is why Pat McGrath is the most in demand makeup artist, only she can accomplish such feats as those pictured above!

27-02-2006
Fat Karl

Well....
If I were to get some help, I mean, I'm not doing this on my own, but I'd like to get some idea of what she is using to create this look. I know I'll probably never get something that is exactly perfect, like Pat's, but I would really like to create a similar look.

Honestly guys, I'm pretty creative...given the right materials, I believe I can replicate these looks...if I could get a few tips on the glitter....that's what I think I'm going to have problems with. Is she using a special glitter, is it glittered paper? Also, what make up...well, it looks more like paint...does she use for the white and black lines on the inside of the eye to create an enhanced large eye here-?

27-02-2006
|/mirror queen\|

Sorry to tell you this, but even if you are handy with materials, it would be so hard to achieve a look like this...

Anyway, the glossy thing is glossy black paper glued with a special glue for skin purposes.
The glitter was maybe added over some golden paint. You have to have your eyes closed, so it´s not something you can really do to yourself, it will have to be someone doing it for you.

As for the drawn line, you can use a regular black eye pencil and then paint the interior of the line with white paint.
The lashes will go last, and it would also be very hard for you to glue them over if you are doing all this by yourself.

As for keeping the glitter out of your eyes, once more, it´s NOT something you can do to yourself, someone will have to do this for you.....

Fat Karl

Thanks sofialuv....
OK....that's it...that's all I needed to know.

25-05-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna
Get Pat McGrath to come and do your makeup... I dunno.. the stuff she does is crazy most of the time. I assume she's famous for a reason and probably wouldn't share many of her secrets... they're the reason for her fame.
on the contrary, i think she wouldn't mind sharing the techniques on how to achieve certain looks. you can copy the look but not her creativity, and that is her secret.

29-05-2006
Fierce Flava

I recently did that Dior gold glitter eye for a party. I first put white mascara on brows so they can more easily take color, then gold over it....then wax to flatten my eyebrows down (look at a theater/costume store for it). I put more gold on the lid and then set everything with She Laq. Then all purpose makeup glue in a very very thin layer and gently tap glitter on no where past the eyelid fold. (If little pieces get on cheeks I actually use scotch tape to get rid of it).I use MAC gold leaf paper on the lid under the fold then I set it with Ben Nye Final Seal. I keep opening and closing my eyes and slowly applying this so that the heavy makeup still moves with my lid. I've done this before without opening and it was like my lid was sealed shut. For the black and white lines I just use creme based makeup. The white was a Ben Nye creme and the black was YSL liquid eyeliner in combo with Mac fluidline. For the shiny part I actually cut out this shiny, picnic table cover like material from a craft store and I just held in place with some makeup glue.

That colorful makeup I would use some sort of high pigment like Ben Nye, Kryolan or Mac Pigment, maybe MacPro Bodysticks for bigger areas.

Seriously...where are the dragqueens when you need them? They'll know this, unfortunately my drag friends don't do glitter so theyre no help.

Last edited by Sephora_Socialite; 29-05-2006 at 01:47 AM.
16-09-2006
fashion insider

I really really admire her work, I wish before she dies, she can publish a book or at least have her assistances carry on her techniques forever.

unknown
01-06-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna View Post
Hi,
I dont think she doesnt spill out her secrets.She keeps on talking about makeup all the time.
But sometimes it becomes difficult for a junior artist to deciper what she is telling him.She has an immense creative aura and it can be seen when she conjures different looks all the time.
But yes, the price that she charges for getting all the makeup tips is to high for even celebs to pay sometimes.
Ciao

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
make, mcgrath, pat