How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

18-04-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzie stevens View Post
^ so you're a dermatologist? if so... i hope you don't mind if i bother you constantly for skin care advice. i like to be on top of my game when it comes to my face! if i ever see a pimple on my face, be sure, i will freak out. so in order to prevent that from ever happening, jesus, i will try anything and everything.
No I'm a licensed aesthetician, and also a medical aesthetician. I have diplomas from UCLA on nutrition and cosmetic chemistry and next will be getting the CIDESCO diploma, which is the world's most prestigious qualification in the field of esthetics and beauty therapy. There are requirements to even be accepted and you must go through very stressful tests. It's a very very difficult program and you do several practical exams but there is a part of one in particular where they make you do a manicure on your client while they have a mask on. You are given red nail polish and they come around with magnifying glasses to inspect.

Last edited by LetThemEatCake; 18-04-2008 at 09:27 PM.

18-04-2008
it's a hard-knock life.

^ well. in that case, do you mind if i bother you for skin care advice! i read a lot of books and such, but still, i am sure you would know more than half of the crap that i remember from the books i've read.

18-04-2008
fashion elite

okay, i bought some cetaphil like a month ago and now im going to go chuck it because i do NOT want sodium laurel sulfate on my skin. no way jose!

19-04-2008
backstage pass

I think I have some form of eczema (helloo random little spots and itchiness this morning!), as well as rosacea-prone, extremely reactive and sensitive skin sigh.
That said, when I'm not stressed, my skin looks quite good, since it's so fine, and the redness becomes pink cheeks, which people often say is really cute and pretty.
I take care of it using the Dr. Hauschka line mainly, as well as Bioderma Crealine H2O to remove makeup (when I wear it, which is rare), 100% rose oil from Weleda at night occasionally, and sunscreen from La Roche Posay.
I try to drink lots of water, and to sleep enough, but lately that hasn't been happening so regularly unfortunately...
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated

19-04-2008
windowshopping

I am adamant about using a cleanser that doesn't have sodium laurel (sp?) sulfate in it. And I have one 'product free day' per week where I cleanse but don't wear any moisturiser, sunscreen, make-up or exfoliate. This is pretty hard to stick to as I have to do it on a Sunday and sometimes I want to go somewhere that requires make up or sun screen- but I try to do it most weeks. It seriously makes a really, really big difference to how my skin (and especially my under eye area) looks

19-04-2008
V.I.P.

So what is the all-natural equivalent of a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil (at least, its always been super gentle and non irritating on me)?? I fear that most all natural products are too oily/heavy for acne prone skin.

19-04-2008
it's a hard-knock life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyes View Post
I think I have some form of eczema (helloo random little spots and itchiness this morning!), as well as rosacea-prone, extremely reactive and sensitive skin sigh.
That said, when I'm not stressed, my skin looks quite good, since it's so fine, and the redness becomes pink cheeks, which people often say is really cute and pretty.
I take care of it using the Dr. Hauschka line mainly, as well as Bioderma Crealine H2O to remove makeup (when I wear it, which is rare), 100% rose oil from Weleda at night occasionally, and sunscreen from La Roche Posay.
I try to drink lots of water, and to sleep enough, but lately that hasn't been happening so regularly unfortunately...
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated
my god-son is two years old and has had eczema on his face since he was a newborn, and so his pediatrician recommended this product, it's by california baby. i haven't personally used it, but i do know that it's been effective on him and that his mother also uses it on his twin sister and on her own face, and she says that she herself has also had amazing results by using it although she does not have eczema, simply dry skin.

19-04-2008
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
And I have one 'product free day' per week where I cleanse but don't wear any moisturiser, sunscreen, make-up or exfoliate. This is pretty hard to stick to as I have to do it on a Sunday and sometimes I want to go somewhere that requires make up or sun screen- but I try to do it most weeks. It seriously makes a really, really big difference to how my skin (and especially my under eye area) looks
i definately think that foundations/face makeups can interfere with having nice skin..
i dont wear any and my skin is soft and smooth,.
the idea of foundation is not very appealing to me.. clogged pores! (i know not all foundation clogs pores haha i just dont like to wear it)

19-04-2008
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndPout View Post
I was just checking on my own products, but it's in almost every cleaning product I use! It's in my cleanser, in my facewash...
Allthough, my facewash claims it doesn't effect the PH level of my skin, since it's PH0.
Ermm... It can't be pH 0. You would have no face left. Neutral pH is around 7...everything (every solution) above 7 is a base (14 is the strongest), and everything below 7 is an acid (0 is the strongest).

we were in love

21-04-2008
rising star

Do you think water is that important? I use a lot of products and do whatever my dermatology tell me and my skin is still awful. I don't drink water, basicly I don't drink anything at all.

21-04-2008
Deep Red Bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzie stevens View Post
my god-son is two years old and has had eczema on his face since he was a newborn, and so his pediatrician recommended this product, it's by california baby. i haven't personally used it, but i do know that it's been effective on him and that his mother also uses it on his twin sister and on her own face, and she says that she herself has also had amazing results by using it although she does not have eczema, simply dry skin.
I have eczema on my shin and was also using a calendula ointment.
I believe it was by Boiron.
It only helped clear it up a bit at first but I ended up having to get an RX cream from the doctor.

21-04-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajana View Post
Do you think water is that important? I use a lot of products and do whatever my dermatology tell me and my skin is still awful. I don't drink water, basicly I don't drink anything at all.
What products are you using? There is a new study I read that is stating that water intake does absolutely nothing for our complexion. I dont have it with me, I read it at college but what is your skin looking like? You say 'awful'. Details?

21-04-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
Ermm... It can't be pH 0. You would have no face left. Neutral pH is around 7...everything (every solution) above 7 is a base (14 is the strongest), and everything below 7 is an acid (0 is the strongest).
aka Alkalis.

Just some more info for PeaceandPout - The pH (potential hydrogen-hydrogen is colorless, odorless, and tastless gas and is the lightest of elements) of a substance is its relative degree of acidity or alkalinity, and is measured on a scale of 0 to 14. Acids are substances that have a pH below 7.0, taste sour, and turn litmus paper from blue to red (litmus paper is paper that chemists, aestheticians use for testing pH levels of cosmetics). The lower the pH number, the greater the degree of acidity. Alkalis, or bases, have a pH above 7.0, taste bitter, and turn litmus paper from red to blue. The higher the pH number, the greater the degree of alkalinity. Although the precise neutral point on the pH scale is 7.0, the neutral range is considered to extend from 6.5 to 7.5.

21-04-2008
V.I.P.

The description on my cleanser says the skin's pH is 5.5, which is true, I think. It also contains some ingredient called Cocotrimonium Methosulfate which is apparently also called Montaline C40. I assume this is different from the sulfate previously discussed? The cleanser has been working well for me and I really don't want to have to switch it.

21-04-2008
V.I.P.

I'd have to get out my Chemistry for Aestheticians book. I have a diploma in Cosmetic Chemistry from UCLA. I could tell you more about that ingredient if you want, but guaranteed the skin's pH level is not 5.5.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, flawless, make, skin, smooth