How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
18-04-2008
  136
V.I.P.
 
LetThemEatCake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: L.A./Massachussets/Zόrich
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzie stevens View Post
^ so you're a dermatologist? if so... i hope you don't mind if i bother you constantly for skin care advice. i like to be on top of my game when it comes to my face! if i ever see a pimple on my face, be sure, i will freak out. so in order to prevent that from ever happening, jesus, i will try anything and everything.
No I'm a licensed aesthetician, and also a medical aesthetician. I have diplomas from UCLA on nutrition and cosmetic chemistry and next will be getting the CIDESCO diploma, which is the world's most prestigious qualification in the field of esthetics and beauty therapy. There are requirements to even be accepted and you must go through very stressful tests. It's a very very difficult program and you do several practical exams but there is a part of one in particular where they make you do a manicure on your client while they have a mask on. You are given red nail polish and they come around with magnifying glasses to inspect.


Last edited by LetThemEatCake; 18-04-2008 at 09:27 PM.
 
 
18-04-2008
  137
it's a hard-knock life.
 
izzie stevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: N.Y.C./FL
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,060
^ well. in that case, do you mind if i bother you for skin care advice! i read a lot of books and such, but still, i am sure you would know more than half of the crap that i remember from the books i've read.

__________________
ROCHA • BEHA • CLICK • CLARK • PIVOVAROVA • LINCHUK • PEREZ • KOCIANOVA • MELNIK
ELLINGSON • STIEKEMA • DONALDSON • KLOSS • BUTANE • POLY • SHERER • KASS • STONE
 
18-04-2008
  138
fashion elite
 
DandyWarhol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,686
okay, i bought some cetaphil like a month ago and now im going to go chuck it because i do NOT want sodium laurel sulfate on my skin. no way jose!

__________________
BLOG
I'll be dancing with myself.
 
19-04-2008
  139
backstage pass
 
Browneyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: a suitcase
Gender: femme
Posts: 709
I think I have some form of eczema (helloo random little spots and itchiness this morning!), as well as rosacea-prone, extremely reactive and sensitive skin sigh.
That said, when I'm not stressed, my skin looks quite good, since it's so fine, and the redness becomes pink cheeks, which people often say is really cute and pretty.
I take care of it using the Dr. Hauschka line mainly, as well as Bioderma Crealine H2O to remove makeup (when I wear it, which is rare), 100% rose oil from Weleda at night occasionally, and sunscreen from La Roche Posay.
I try to drink lots of water, and to sleep enough, but lately that hasn't been happening so regularly unfortunately...
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated

__________________
Didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.
 
19-04-2008
  140
windowshopping
 
oriana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 4
I am adamant about using a cleanser that doesn't have sodium laurel (sp?) sulfate in it. And I have one 'product free day' per week where I cleanse but don't wear any moisturiser, sunscreen, make-up or exfoliate. This is pretty hard to stick to as I have to do it on a Sunday and sometimes I want to go somewhere that requires make up or sun screen- but I try to do it most weeks. It seriously makes a really, really big difference to how my skin (and especially my under eye area) looks

 
19-04-2008
  141
V.I.P.
 
Fabulyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,529
So what is the all-natural equivalent of a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil (at least, its always been super gentle and non irritating on me)?? I fear that most all natural products are too oily/heavy for acne prone skin.

 
19-04-2008
  142
it's a hard-knock life.
 
izzie stevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: N.Y.C./FL
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneyes View Post
I think I have some form of eczema (helloo random little spots and itchiness this morning!), as well as rosacea-prone, extremely reactive and sensitive skin sigh.
That said, when I'm not stressed, my skin looks quite good, since it's so fine, and the redness becomes pink cheeks, which people often say is really cute and pretty.
I take care of it using the Dr. Hauschka line mainly, as well as Bioderma Crealine H2O to remove makeup (when I wear it, which is rare), 100% rose oil from Weleda at night occasionally, and sunscreen from La Roche Posay.
I try to drink lots of water, and to sleep enough, but lately that hasn't been happening so regularly unfortunately...
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated
my god-son is two years old and has had eczema on his face since he was a newborn, and so his pediatrician recommended this product, it's by california baby. i haven't personally used it, but i do know that it's been effective on him and that his mother also uses it on his twin sister and on her own face, and she says that she herself has also had amazing results by using it although she does not have eczema, simply dry skin.

__________________
ROCHA • BEHA • CLICK • CLARK • PIVOVAROVA • LINCHUK • PEREZ • KOCIANOVA • MELNIK
ELLINGSON • STIEKEMA • DONALDSON • KLOSS • BUTANE • POLY • SHERER • KASS • STONE
 
19-04-2008
  143
fashion elite
 
DandyWarhol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
And I have one 'product free day' per week where I cleanse but don't wear any moisturiser, sunscreen, make-up or exfoliate. This is pretty hard to stick to as I have to do it on a Sunday and sometimes I want to go somewhere that requires make up or sun screen- but I try to do it most weeks. It seriously makes a really, really big difference to how my skin (and especially my under eye area) looks
i definately think that foundations/face makeups can interfere with having nice skin..
i dont wear any and my skin is soft and smooth,.
the idea of foundation is not very appealing to me.. clogged pores! (i know not all foundation clogs pores haha i just dont like to wear it)

__________________
BLOG
I'll be dancing with myself.
 
19-04-2008
  144
In Bloom
 
The_Ida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denmark
Gender: femme
Posts: 9,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndPout View Post
I was just checking on my own products, but it's in almost every cleaning product I use! It's in my cleanser, in my facewash...
Allthough, my facewash claims it doesn't effect the PH level of my skin, since it's PH0.
Ermm... It can't be pH 0. You would have no face left. Neutral pH is around 7...everything (every solution) above 7 is a base (14 is the strongest), and everything below 7 is an acid (0 is the strongest).

__________________
ten days of perfect tunes
the colors red and blue
we had a promise made

we were in love


 
21-04-2008
  145
rising star
 
Dajana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Serbia
Gender: femme
Posts: 118
Do you think water is that important? I use a lot of products and do whatever my dermatology tell me and my skin is still awful. I don't drink water, basicly I don't drink anything at all.

__________________

 
21-04-2008
  146
Deep Red Bells
 
brokenenglish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: stuck here
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzie stevens View Post
my god-son is two years old and has had eczema on his face since he was a newborn, and so his pediatrician recommended this product, it's by california baby. i haven't personally used it, but i do know that it's been effective on him and that his mother also uses it on his twin sister and on her own face, and she says that she herself has also had amazing results by using it although she does not have eczema, simply dry skin.
I have eczema on my shin and was also using a calendula ointment.
I believe it was by Boiron.
It only helped clear it up a bit at first but I ended up having to get an RX cream from the doctor.

 
21-04-2008
  147
V.I.P.
 
LetThemEatCake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: L.A./Massachussets/Zόrich
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajana View Post
Do you think water is that important? I use a lot of products and do whatever my dermatology tell me and my skin is still awful. I don't drink water, basicly I don't drink anything at all.
What products are you using? There is a new study I read that is stating that water intake does absolutely nothing for our complexion. I dont have it with me, I read it at college but what is your skin looking like? You say 'awful'. Details?

 
21-04-2008
  148
V.I.P.
 
LetThemEatCake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: L.A./Massachussets/Zόrich
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
Ermm... It can't be pH 0. You would have no face left. Neutral pH is around 7...everything (every solution) above 7 is a base (14 is the strongest), and everything below 7 is an acid (0 is the strongest).
aka Alkalis.

Just some more info for PeaceandPout - The pH (potential hydrogen-hydrogen is colorless, odorless, and tastless gas and is the lightest of elements) of a substance is its relative degree of acidity or alkalinity, and is measured on a scale of 0 to 14. Acids are substances that have a pH below 7.0, taste sour, and turn litmus paper from blue to red (litmus paper is paper that chemists, aestheticians use for testing pH levels of cosmetics). The lower the pH number, the greater the degree of acidity. Alkalis, or bases, have a pH above 7.0, taste bitter, and turn litmus paper from red to blue. The higher the pH number, the greater the degree of alkalinity. Although the precise neutral point on the pH scale is 7.0, the neutral range is considered to extend from 6.5 to 7.5.

 
21-04-2008
  149
V.I.P.
 
satin chic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Germany
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,168
The description on my cleanser says the skin's pH is 5.5, which is true, I think. It also contains some ingredient called Cocotrimonium Methosulfate which is apparently also called Montaline C40. I assume this is different from the sulfate previously discussed? The cleanser has been working well for me and I really don't want to have to switch it.

__________________
 
21-04-2008
  150
V.I.P.
 
LetThemEatCake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: L.A./Massachussets/Zόrich
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,196
I'd have to get out my Chemistry for Aestheticians book. I have a diploma in Cosmetic Chemistry from UCLA. I could tell you more about that ingredient if you want, but guaranteed the skin's pH level is not 5.5.

 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, flawless, make, skin, smooth
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.