How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-01-2013
Making a Mess

^ I swear by AHA (glycolic acid) gel. I use a 10% formulation and I swear it keeps my skin clear and helps fade existing marks.

04-01-2013
V.I.P.

How about scars as in 'dents' in your skin? Any advice on getting rid/reducing the appearance of that?

Last edited by emailme.; 04-01-2013 at 01:36 AM.
04-01-2013
fashion elite

^1 or 2 Fraxel procedures would improve them significantly.

04-01-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party_Vixen View Post
^ I swear by AHA (glycolic acid) gel. I use a 10% formulation and I swear it keeps my skin clear and helps fade existing marks.
Me too! I'm using Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant. It does wonders! But I want to try the BHA 2% too, so I'll probably pass the AHA one to my mom.

I'm also about to order the Antipodes Aura Manuka Honey mask. From what I've heard it's amazing.

06-01-2013
tfs star

I have tried few serums, more and less expensive ones (Oriflame, Lumene, Clinique, Elizabeth Arden etc.) and seems that L`Oreal Youth Code Luminizer Serum serves me the best at the moment. It makes and keeps my skin smooth looking throughout the day, the make up stays better, too.

Biotherm Aquasource moisturizer is the and only creme for me, after trying other brands I have never been as satisfied with the formula and results as I am with Aquasource.

I haven`t much experience from make up primers, but my first was Lòreal, and it worked beautifully. Anyway, I love to try new things so now I have Smashbox Photo Finish, and it is little... blah after L`Oreal. Can`t wait it to end so I can get back to my old one. Shouldn`t fix something which isn`t broken

06-01-2013
V.I.P.

Any cheaper alternatives to scar "denting"? Fraxel is really expensive.

fashion elite

Where i live in Australia it is 800-1200 per session which is considered overpriced. If you're not willing to pay that then i guess you're fortunate that it doesn't bother you too much.

Dermal peels are a cheaper option.

07-01-2013
V.I.P.

Well bothered enough to ask, look into, say hell no, and ask for another option.

V.I.P.

Lately I've become really interested in making my own skin-care. I don't have enough knowledge yet and way too little experience to make any real successions, but I've found that unrefined, organic Shea butter is amazing for sensitive, easily irritated, blemished skin. I use it over night because it's quite heavy but despite its greasiness it doesn't clog my pores at all. I've woken up to way more relaxed, clearer and softer skin than I have in a long time. Apparently, some studies proved it's anti-inflammatory (got this from wikipedia so don't ask for any further sources :p) and so far, it's working fine for me. I've also made a body-balm with it, melting it in coco-nut-oil first and then adding broccoli-seed-oil and cranberry-seed-oil and I really love this mixture. It spreads well and is absorbed easily and makes my skin really soft and smooth. I'll definitely experiment some more, it's great fun.

Last edited by diesanni; 07-01-2013 at 04:13 PM.
22-02-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwennaliann View Post
I take really good care of my skin (really!) for years, I eat healthy food, drink a lot of water and green tea, clean my face twice a day, moisterize, use good products (Avène, usually) and still, I have spots and redness, especially around the chin and on the right cheek. I have no idea why they are here, it's been a few months and I can't get rid of them.
Yesterday, I ws talking with a Russian friend who has the most amazing skin and she was telling me how people often think her mum is actually her sister. I've met her mother, and it's true she looks incredibly young and has a perfect, radiant skin. They both told me they think it's because they clean, moisterize, and never use makeup except lipstick or mascara (but nothing on the skin) !
What do you think? Do they have amazing genes or do you think that not using any makeup on the skin (no foundation, no concealer, no powder...) is helping??
I feel tempted to try but I feel very little confident without foundation if I have to go somewhere, even if it's to the shop.
If their not wearing any form of makeup other than lip and mascara were the reason than all the plain faced women that make up the United States would have great skin. That is clearly not true I think it probably has more to do with genetics and/or diet and lifestyle.

22-02-2013
windowshopping

^I have to agree - I think good skin has more to do with genes and diet/lifestyle. I don't think that simply wearing or not wearing make up has much of an impact on the overall health of your skin. I think that some people are just blessed with lovely skin and of course, things like wearing sunscreen, not smoking, eating healthy, etc. is advantageous.

22-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionHappy View Post
^I have to agree - I think good skin has more to do with genes and diet/lifestyle. I don't think that simply wearing or not wearing make up has much of an impact on the overall health of your skin. I think that some people are just blessed with lovely skin and of course, things like wearing sunscreen, not smoking, eating healthy, etc. is advantageous.
I disagree. I think technology has progressed to the point that we don't have to live with the skin 'genes and diet/lifestyle' has given us. That sounds archaically hopeless. There are ingredients clinically proven to have certain effects on your skin and consequently change how it looks.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailme. View Post
I disagree. I think technology has progressed to the point that we don't have to live with the skin 'genes and diet/lifestyle' has given us. That sounds archaically hopeless. There are ingredients clinically proven to have certain effects on your skin and consequently change how it looks.
i disagree with the fact that all these 'miracle' creams and technology we have in society today make genetics and diet/lifestyle almost irrelevant in determining the smoothness of your skin. Perhaps all these treatments can help lessen discolouration/pimples, etc., but they definitely can't erase them.

for example, i have a friend who since we were 16 was always stressing about her rather pimply skin. in an effort to improve her skin, she:
1) went on birth control to control her hormones/stress
2) completely eliminated all fast food/greasy dishes, even home-made
3) eliminated dairy out of her diet
She also tried out a bunch of heavy chemical creams that are specialized in the treatment of problematic skin, which only aggravated any imperfections even more.

and she STILL has the exact same skin issues, 5 years later.
i, on the other hand, go for a run 2 times a week tops, eat chinese food for dinner 3-4 times a week, eat cheese and other dairy products as i please, and am lucky enough to get at most a pimple every 2 weeks or so.

So what i'm trying to say is, yes, technology and all the treatments we have today for those with skin issues are great at lessening any acne, discolouration, etc., i really doubt anyone being treated with them have results even close to those born with good skin genetics.

rising star

Quote:
Well bothered enough to ask, look into, say hell no, and ask for another option.
I know me and a few others have already said it, but give Vitamin C serums a go! the Kiehls one is brilliant and does fade marks. I had loads of red marks and know others who have found this to work too.

a lot of dermatologists will also give you retinol cream - in the US you can buy a high strength one (dr brandt) without prescription! should also get rid of marks but stay out of the sun (not an option in Australia! )

Certainly costs not a few hundred dollars

23-02-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
I didn't say that technology doesn't make a difference. I was commenting on the member who said that wearing or not wearing make up was what contributed to the overall health and/or condition of our skin (in other words, it was said that if you don't wear make up, then your skin will be flawless/perfect).
I actually agree with you that technology can make a difference in our skin, but overall, I'd say that it is more likely about seeing improvements and not dynamic changes. If technology was that good, we'd all look eternally 25:p

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, flawless, make, skin, smooth