How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-03-2012
Making a Mess

^ I'm 23 and use the Estee Lauder Idealist serum - the pore minimizer one - and swear by it. I wasn't in the market for a serum but when I was at the Estee counter buying a new tube of foundation the sales associate gave me 2 deluxe samples of it and now I can't live without it.

Full disclosure here I would describe it more as a primer serum. Meaning that it makes my skin baby soft because of the silicones and it does wonders for my skin when I use it but haven't noticed any long term effects. Although I've only been using it since the fall so it may take a bit longer to see results.

One other thing I will add is the reason the SA suggested I try it is because I was explaining to her that even though my T-zone is oily, it also can get really dry and I tend to get flaky skin on my nose and forehead - not such a great look with foundation. But the idealist contains chestnut extract which is a miracle worker. My skin never flakes - even in the driest weather.

I would recommend trying it out first. Some people's skin can breakout from silicone based products (mine usually does but not with the idealist). Ask your SA for a couple samples so you can try it out for a few weeks. And I guarantee that you will notice a considerable difference once you stop and will run out to buy the full-size. Or at least that's what happened to me :p.

03-03-2012
V.I.P.

I stoped using birthcontrol pills and after that my skin is a mess. i get huge pimpless and dont know how to get rid of them! i dont want to start using the pill again. i think i get blemishes because of the hormonal change??? right? does anyone know any help?i am 27 and with pimpled face, not attractive one!

03-03-2012
backstage pass

^^ I've heard that fish oils can help balance hormone levels.

03-03-2012
windowshopping

Nita-karoliina, it is likely you can control the hormonal acne by adjusting your diet. Some big contributors can include too much omega-6 oils (actually, too high of a ratio of o-6-3), indigestion (due to gluten, fructose, and/or lactose), and/or glycemic load (too many sugars, not enough protein or fat). I suffered from severe cystic acne for 16 years and used birth control to manage it. But 6 months ago I went off birth control, made some drastic changes in my diet, and have absolutely no acne. I suggest doing some research and experimenting, but given my own experience and that of others I've talked to, I believe diet really does have a huge effect on skin.

04-03-2012
backstage pass

Evening Primrose oil in capsules + zinc helped me a lot with my hormonal acne

scenester

I think it REALLY depends on the person. I'll share my secrets. I had terrible skin a month ago, and I would always break out persistently. I always misattributed it to cigarettes and alcohol (not implying that you should smoke/drink). But recently I started on the Paleo diet (to sum it up, no carbs or artificial sugars) and my skin has gotten so flawless! I only use a thin layer of foundation now because my face is paler than the rest of my body. My concealer has just been rotting away in my drawer...

04-03-2012
rising star

Kini, can you elaborate on the ratio b/w omega 6 and 3 oils? I've been having skin problems lately and realized I do consume quite a bit of omega 6 foods (avocados, nuts, etc). Thanks, very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kini View Post
Nita-karoliina, it is likely you can control the hormonal acne by adjusting your diet. Some big contributors can include too much omega-6 oils (actually, too high of a ratio of o-6-3), indigestion (due to gluten, fructose, and/or lactose), and/or glycemic load (too many sugars, not enough protein or fat). I suffered from severe cystic acne for 16 years and used birth control to manage it. But 6 months ago I went off birth control, made some drastic changes in my diet, and have absolutely no acne. I suggest doing some research and experimenting, but given my own experience and that of others I've talked to, I believe diet really does have a huge effect on skin.

05-03-2012
V.I.P.

thanks so much for your help! i eat omega-3 capsules every day. so could it really worsen my skin? i am also vegetarian plus i am a poor cook. I think i do eat too much sugars..

05-03-2012
backstage pass

How does omega make it worse?
I'm also a vegetarian and since I started taking omega 3-6-9 my skin has got a lot better!?
I agree it has something to do with a poor diet to, cause when I cut out sugar i don't break out at much.
I'm going to try that Paleo diet thing!

05-03-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita-karoliina View Post
thanks so much for your help! i eat omega-3 capsules every day. so could it really worsen my skin? i am also vegetarian plus i am a poor cook. I think i do eat too much sugars..
Eating too much sugar can be a b*itch to your skin. I cut off sugar 2 years ago and when I tried rice cookies with a bit of sugar I got dramatic pimples. After so many years! Try to narrow your diet first and then try to get rid of sugar. One, nasty killer.

Hope your skin gets better

05-03-2012
rising star

I've been reading online about the ratio since mentioned here, really interesting. I think I've been consuming too much Omega 6 - almonds, other nuts, some processed gluten free foods that are high in oils with omega 6, and not enough Omega 3 sources like fish. I'm going to up my intake of the latter and eliminate the heavy Omega 6 sources for awhile.

05-03-2012
scenester

Oh no... I think eating meat is a large part of the Paleo diet though - animal fats are actually essential to your "survival" on the Paleolithic diet. I'm not sure how healthy a combination of cutting meat, carbs, and artificial sugars might be for your health. You also have to avoid all soy products... I'm definitely no nutrition expert, but I'd seek one before you think about starting Paleo as a vegetarian. (And also, I know there's no weight talk allowed, but I think I should warn you that this diet also constitutes weight loss - just in case this is something you'd rather not have)

My skin has gotten so flawless though!

06-03-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riskki View Post
How does omega make it worse?
I'm also a vegetarian and since I started taking omega 3-6-9 my skin has got a lot better!?....
I don't know the specific mechanism of why it would or wouldn't. It would depend on how one's body assimilates it. Everyone's different.
However, yes, I am one of those people that gets instantaneous eruptions w/ fish oil. Other omega's like flaxseed are not that bad for me. I am, however, not sensitive/allergic to fish. Weird.

"...insanity is thinking that you need something you don't have. The mere fact that you exist right now without that which you think you need is proof that you don't need it."-Byron Katie (<-DOESNT APPLY to SHOES) TheFitChick.com *~* TWITTER me
06-03-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gian-franco View Post
Plese advise me. I have an average skin, not-too anything. A bit reddish, have occasional pimples, a bit dull, not radiant enough, used to be combination skin, but now I started working in a boutique so from the dry air my skin is getting dry. And when you touch it it's not so soft anymore.
I occassionaly take better care of myself, and maybe my sking gets slightly softer, but there is nothing i can do with it being reddish, not radiant and with uneven skin tone. I started thinking that maybe I should start using some sort of serum? But I am only 24 and it seems to me like they all are more for a bit older skin. Idealist from Estee Lauder seems just what I need from the description, but I am not sure if I am not too young for it. The sales assistant of course tell me I am not, but being a sales assistant myself I dont 100% trust them.
So, I would love to hear your advices on what should I chose for my skin or if you think that using a normal serum is not too early for me.
but I really need to do smth, because my skin may look fine, but never perfect
100% Pure Cold Pressed Sweet Almond Oil has considerably reduced redness on my face. It's approx £2.50 on amazon, so it's not going to be much of a loss for you even if it doesn't work on your skin

07-03-2012
fashion elite

Witch Hazel has been the best thing I've ever incorporated into my regimine. It clears out my pores so intensely I'd assume I was using beta hydroxy acids or something. I use the 100% alcohol free (so it's not drying at all) and keeps my acne at bay.

I also use Emu Oil a lot and it is wonderful. I apply my serums + witch hazel on my face (I pat it on) and then apply a thin layer of Emu Oil on top of it. Emu Oil is one of the few oils that actually sinks super deep into your skin, so whatever is under it, it will take with it on the ride. But yes, it is actually from an Emu so if you're vegetarian/vegan, I'd avoid it.

As for redness, green tea / cucumber is great for keeping redness at bay. I unfortunately don't have a product to recommend since I make my own anti-redness facial spray for day usage (i'd list it, but it isn't easy to put together), but I believe there is a witch hazel out there that is 100% alcohol free that does have cucumber extract in it, it's name just eludes me at the moment.

Tags
#3, flawless, make, skin, smooth