How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-12-2007
backstage pass

How Do You Measure Up?
I was curious to know if I cannot find clothes and accessories because my sizes really are so rare and which place would be best for me to do my shopping in. So, I decided to make a questionnaire on various clothing and accessory sizes. Perhaps all of us who have problems size-wise can find out where to go shopping from each others' experiences.

Maybe it will be biased because this is a fashion forum, but this place is probably the only one I go to with a large number of people on it. I hope lots of you are bored enough to whip out a tape measure and fill this in.

Here's what I would like to know:

What country and state/province/county/prefecture/whatever-else-you-call-it are you living in?

What is your height?

Give your size for the following items AND rate them from 1 to 5 on how easy it is to find that item in your size (with 1 being near impossible and 5 being as easy as pie)...

Hats: (You measure this by placing a tape measure tightly around the widest part of your head with it touching both of your ears and resting one inch above your eyebrows.)

Gloves: (Excluding your thumb you measure your dominant hand around the widest part. The tape measure should lie just above your thumb. Your size is the number of inches.)

Bracelets: (Measure between the base of your hand and the wrist bone. Your size is the number of inches.)

Rings: (Measure around the base of your fingers.)

Tops: (You don't have to do this if it makes you feel uncomfortable.)

Trousers/Dresses/Skirts and Inseam: (Ditto what it says for tops.)

Shoes:

If you want to convert sizes or aren't sure what you are it is easy to find charts on google.

----------

Here are my answers (you don't have to bother putting all UK and EU measurements if you're too lazy; I just did that so non-US people don't have to copy and paste everything to converters to know the sizes):

What country and state/province/county/prefecture/whatever-else-you-call-it are you living in?
Canada, Ontario.

What is your height?
5'2" and a bit/158cm.

Give your size for the following items AND rate them from 1 to 5 on how easy it is to find that item in your size (with 1 being near impossible and 5 being as easy as pie)...

Hats:
US6 3/4, UK6 5/8, EU54. Rating: 1 unless I buy toddlers' hats.

Gloves:
6 1/2. Rating: 2.

Bracelets:
5 1/2. Rating: 1.

Rings:
I haven't found any international converters that correlate with each other so this is in a US size. I also cannot find a reliable calculator and have only had my ring finger size determined. If you know several of your ring sizes, feel free to post them.
Ring: 3 1/4. Rating: 1.

Tops:
I am usually a US2, UK8, EU34. Depending on the store I can also wear a US0 and US4. Rating: Can range from 1 to 4, so I give it an average of 2.5.

Trousers/Dresses/Skirts and Inseam:
Same sizing as above. Inseam: 29 1/2 inches. Rating: 1.

Shoes:
US5-5 1/2, UK3, EU36. Rating: 2. They do exist, but there is a very small selection.

11-12-2007
trendsetter

I'm really average for an American.
And all my answers are for US sizing.

Sorry for hacking up the questions.
I usually just buy medium in hats, gloves, etc.

What country and state are you living in? Minnesota, USA.
What is your height? 5'7"
Rings: 7; 5.
Tops: 8; 4
Trousers/Dresses/Skirts: 8; 4.
Shoes: 9; 4.

I would say 5 for everything, but they're not always in stock.
Especially shoes. I guess 9 is kind of big, so they sell out quicker than 8s.

11-12-2007
V.I.P.

I didn't have measuring tape handy, however I did my best.

Height: 5'6
Hats: 7 3/8" to 7.5", a 3 because a lot of hats are too small for me but I can get baseball hats that fit perfectly.
Gloves: Probably 6-6.5", and I usually just wear the cheapo $2 gloves from the store so no rating really applies.
Rings: 6.75-7 on my index, 6 on my ring-5 because it's easy having small fingers.
Bracelets: 5.75", definitely a 1 because most bracelets start at 7".
Tops: It honestly depends on the store-I can be a medium/8 at some places (Express) but a large at others (A&F, Hollister, mainly juniors stores). It's definitely a 4 because many of the tops I want don't work with my ahem, chest.
Bottoms: Usually a large, it honestly depends on the store though. Jeans, I am anywhere from a 29-31. Usually a 9/10 all the way up to a 13/14, depending on the store, because I do have a booty Skirts is a 4 but pants are a definite 1 because I have a 27.5" inseam and large thighs so I stick to skirts most of the time, and then go shorts in the summer.
Shoes: 8.5 to 9.5, a definite 3 because while I can find stuff, I will not wear any animal products so that cuts into what I can wear.

12-12-2007
Fashionably Late

Height: 5'4
Hats: No idea and do not have a measuring tape handy.
Gloves: Don't wear gloves too often, but when I do, they are usually a small. I have tiny hands.
Rings: 5
Tops: Usually a small or an extra small. I don't have much going on up top.
Bottoms: Size 0 or 2 usually. In some brnads, I can get away with a 4 in pants. I wear a 25 or 26 in jeans. I can also usually get away with wearing petite sizes (though sometimes the pants end up being too short).
Shoes: It varies lately. It used to be an 8 and then I guess my feet shrunk! Now I can fit into some 6.5 shoes but usually am more of a 7 or 7.5.

Last edited by cosmogrl5; 12-12-2007 at 09:07 AM.
12-12-2007
backstage pass

Thanks for the replies so far! Keep them coming.

Don't forget to rate from 1 to 5 how easy it is to find things in your size.

19-02-2013
V.I.P.

San Francisco, California

What is your height?
6'1" or 185 cm

Tops:
I am usually a US4-6, UK8-10, EU34-36. I like to wear baggier clothes however, so I usually size up.

Trousers/Dresses/Skirts and Inseam:
I can range anywhere form US2-6 in women's. Jil Sander I'm a size US4, and others are typically the same. Inseam: 34 inches.

Shoes:
US10-11womens or 9-10 mens.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
measure