How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
03-04-2012
  721
barcode
 
Spike413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,411
Carnal Flower is definitely a gorgeous one, but that price tag is a little scary.

Diptyque
Oyedo

__________________
You need to move fashion forward when there's a reason to move fashion forward - Tom Ford

 
 
03-04-2012
  722
Soviet Camaro
 
tangerine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Barbary Coast
Gender: homme
Posts: 16,509
L'Artisan Al Oudh

Another Duchaufour classic.

__________________
after all, it was you and me
 
03-04-2012
  723
trendsetter
 
pavonine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
Carnal Flower is definitely a gorgeous one, but that price tag is a little scary.

Diptyque
Oyedo
Oh well, it turned out that it was indeed my body lotion (which lasted for about an hour ). The scent itself was too greenish for a tuberose, and slightly underwhelming. I mean, if I'm going to pay $320 for 100 ml (and if you're going to invest in a Malle, it makes more sense buying a 100 ml for $320 when the price of a 50 ml bottle is $215 ), then that scent has got to be extraordinary and distinctive and idiosyncratic and unmistakable. Carnal Flower isn't any of these things (on me, at least). Hell, it didn't even last for more than 3 hours. Besides, I already own Fracas and Nuit de Tubereuse and Tubereuse Criminelle, so there's no point investing in another tuberose, and an underwhelming one at that. Guess I'm in the minority.

Malle's Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices, on the other hand... I haven't worn them yet, but the glass vial does smell abso-bloody-lutely amazing.

__________________
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes
 
03-04-2012
  724
don't look down
 
tigerrouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Béal Feirste
Gender: femme
Posts: 12,206
YSL - Opium Vapeurs de Parfum

On me, this smells like a one-note version of the original, made of some mid-level ingredient reformulated to vanish within two hours of wearing it.

__________________
You're perfect, yes, it's true. But without me, you're only you.
 
03-04-2012
  725
V.I.P.
 
Street_a_Licious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vienna
Gender: homme
Posts: 10,584
Britney Spears - Midnight Fantasy

don't judge. i like fruity scents. on me.

 
03-04-2012
  726
V.I.P.
 
Street_a_Licious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Vienna
Gender: homme
Posts: 10,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
YSL - Opium Vapeurs de Parfum

On me, this smells like a one-note version of the original, made of some mid-level ingredient reformulated to vanish within two hours of wearing it.
i actually kinda like those lighter flankers. my favorite way of wearing those is layering them over the original. the original will stick around, but the lighter notes layered on top will lighten the entire thing, meaning you end up with a good medium between 'too strong' and 'too light'.

just my 2 cents

of course there's also flankers of fragrances like Kouros, where the Eau d'Ete is MUCH easier to wear but sticks around forever, just like the regular one. one of my best purchases imo. (then again, the list of fragrances i own is ridic)

 
03-04-2012
  727
barcode
 
Spike413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
Oh well, it turned out that it was indeed my body lotion (which lasted for about an hour ). The scent itself was too greenish for a tuberose, and slightly underwhelming. I mean, if I'm going to pay $320 for 100 ml (and if you're going to invest in a Malle, it makes more sense buying a 100 ml for $320 when the price of a 50 ml bottle is $215 ), then that scent has got to be extraordinary and distinctive and idiosyncratic and unmistakable. Carnal Flower isn't any of these things (on me, at least). Hell, it didn't even last for more than 3 hours. Besides, I already own Fracas and Nuit de Tubereuse and Tubereuse Criminelle, so there's no point investing in another tuberose, and an underwhelming one at that. Guess I'm in the minority.

Malle's Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices, on the other hand... I haven't worn them yet, but the glass vial does smell abso-bloody-lutely amazing.
Maybe it's just what I associate it with (my mother), or that it's the first tuberose-centered scent that I ever came into contact with, but nothing will ever beat Fracas for me.

__________________
You need to move fashion forward when there's a reason to move fashion forward - Tom Ford

 
04-04-2012
  728
trendsetter
 
pavonine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,366
Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud

Oud, by nature, smells a tad strange. It's not a terribly pleasant smell, and maybe an acquired taste. The oud in MFK Oud doesn't smell like those medicinal, Band-Aid like our scents that've inundated the market, but it doesn't smell very pleasant either. There's a persistent redolence of something rank and cheesy in the beginning along with a blast of saffron, but this smell quickly abates on the skin (it lingers for a while when applied on your shirt) to give way a less strident oud-y and more warm bouquet.

It's not a bad scent at all, but at $300 for 70ml, it isn't totally out of the world either, and as such not worth the price, unless, of course, it totally changes tack and turns into something heart-stoppingly beautiful after an hour or so.

Only I doubt it.




...

__________________
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes

Last edited by pavonine; 04-04-2012 at 12:14 PM.
 
04-04-2012
  729
Some Like It Hot
 
Chanelcouture09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Gender: homme
Posts: 9,823
Tom Ford Black Orchid

__________________
A few times in my life I've had moments of clarity where the silence drowns out the noise and I can feel rather than think. - Tom Ford
 
04-04-2012
  730
don't look down
 
tigerrouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Béal Feirste
Gender: femme
Posts: 12,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_a_Licious View Post
i actually kinda like those lighter flankers. my favorite way of wearing those is layering them over the original. the original will stick around, but the lighter notes layered on top will lighten the entire thing, meaning you end up with a good medium between 'too strong' and 'too light'.
The first time I wore it, I had it layered over the parfum original, but on me, there's a note in Vapeurs which tends to dominate even the original, not in depth or strength, but in hardness. It's not entirely unpleasant, but whatever it is, it's too one-dimensional and never develops, it just sits there on the skin.

For me, the best variation on Opium was Orchidee de Chine, it felt like the scent had emerged into the sunlight and found its power was undiminished.

__________________
You're perfect, yes, it's true. But without me, you're only you.
 
04-04-2012
  731
penniless sitar player
 
castorpollux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 'merica
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,017
dolce & gabbana pour homme

__________________
every flight begins with a fall
 
05-04-2012
  732
trendsetter
 
pavonine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavonine View Post
Maison Francis Kurkdjian Oud

It's not a bad scent at all, but at $300 for 70ml, it isn't totally out of the world either, and as such not worth the price, unless, of course, it totally changes tack and turns into something heart-stoppingly beautiful after an hour or so.
It didn't change drastically, but I found the scent growing on me, to the point that I actually quite liked it after about 3-4 hours.

I still think it's about $100-$120 overpriced, because at $300, a scent has got to be much, much more than just 'nice' or even 'really nice', because you get 'nice' and 'really nice' scents at one-fifth the price.

Today it's Frederic Malle Iris Poudre for me.

Crikey, an iris that I actually don't dislike! Maybe it's the iris note isn't prominent at all, but this is very pretty.

__________________
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes
 
05-04-2012
  733
rising star
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 126
Tom Ford "Lavender Palm"....Incredible, and smells perfect for men!! The scent of spring/summer this year for me!!!

 
05-04-2012
  734
Soviet Camaro
 
tangerine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Barbary Coast
Gender: homme
Posts: 16,509
^ my sample of Lavender Palm did not impress me that much, I will have to try it again.

Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque

__________________
after all, it was you and me
 
05-04-2012
  735
barcode
 
Spike413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,411
Etat Libre d'Orange Fils de Dieu du Riz des Agrumes

I'm lucky I was even able to type the name.

__________________
You need to move fashion forward when there's a reason to move fashion forward - Tom Ford

 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#3, smell, today
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.