How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-02-2010
In Bloom

Meat is super expensive, so I rarely eat it... I only buy organic chicken (they have to be free range in order to be organic...at least here), but I'm not a big fan of chicken in general. Mainly because of the risk of salmonella, but also because I only like chicken in stews and such. And I'd rather have lamb anyway. I only buy halal as well...the main reason is that I live in the ghetto and we only have halal butchers here, but I think the meat is much better and fresher than what you get in supermarkets.

we were in love

03-02-2010
flaunt the imperfection

i think that the whole foods website does a weekly/monthly? newsletter called 'the whole deal' and they always do meat-free mondays recipes if i recall...

i think portion control is a good simple idea...
ie- don't eat the whole steak at dinner...
save 1/2 and make a steak salad for lunch the next day...
yummy!..and you only have to cook once for two meals!

Last edited by softgrey; 03-02-2010 at 01:58 PM.
03-02-2010
rising star

Lately if I eat meat I highly prefer local meat, but that doesn't just go for meat, I like local produce as well. My diet is largely non-meat but when I do eat it I want it to be something that I really like, and of high quality.

Power to the 99%

^ Indeed! I am far too old to be eating crummy food :p I want everything to be delicious ... and no frozen, salty slabs of anything. (Nothing better, btw, for making you feel like an utter human slug than to shop in the frozen food section. I don't care if it's Amy's or what it is ...)

Luckily I can get a lot of good stuff here without a lot of food miles on it (Pederson's is fairly local for me), and without having to work too hard for it ... but I'm imagining that some people may not be able to buy anything but, say, Hormel ... which I can only assume is factory-farmed in the worst way.

03-02-2010
flaunt the imperfection

actually- costco has some really amazing cuts of meat and at very good prices...
many manhattan restaurants get some of their ingredients there...

but- i also heard that not all costco's are created equal...
meaning...they don't all carry the more 'gourmet' ingredients...
so- i can only speak for the one i am familiar with, which has really good products...

i will say that the steaks i get there are not totally cheap...but they are thick and tender and really delicious...a very good value, imo
:p
i'm making one tonight...

03-02-2010
Stitch:the Hand

and that's really the biggest problem....just not enough access. where i reside there is only one dinky farmer's market and i'm not even sure what they have is actually local. and supermarkets.....we have one whole foods in the entirety of this particular state and it's 100 miles from where i'm at.

i miss the european way that i had grown accustomed to...there were green grocer's on almost every main street and i often bought my produce that way. in fact,i never even bought meat except for the odd shrimp or fish once a week from real fish mongers. mostly i ate veggie dishes or pasta dishes with veggies in it. and i cannot begin to tell you what a great affect it had on me either....more energy and i lost a considerable amount of weight,healthily.

Last edited by Scott; 03-02-2010 at 07:29 PM.
03-02-2010
oh! darling

^

As far as the "American" culture, I see meat at almost every meal: sausage patties, turkey sandwich, meatloaf. I think rarely do many of us consider fish as a main course unless it's sushi. I hardly see anyone preparing a salmon. I think Meatless Mondays that Belowen and fashionista-ta have been discussing in the Vegetarian/Vegan thread would be incredibly difficult for many Americans.

backstage pass

Re: Costco. We get our meat there too! Their beef cuts & salmon are amazing, as is the fresh king crab & jumbo shrimp. Most of the meat our family buys, we get from Costco, Whole Foods, local farms or halal stores.

I'm kind of surprised not more people eat fish as their daily entrees. We eat seafood every other day whether it be tilapia, salmon, kingfish, shrimp, you name it. Then again, part of my culture's cuisine is very international & less so "American" for lack of a better description, lol.

That being said, I could never ever eat meat from a fast food restaurant. I do not trust the sources of their processed meats. Processed meats </3.

03-02-2010
oh! darling

^ I love that "broken heart."

fashionsita-ta mentioned eating at Wing Stop, and let's just say the quality of the meat was obvious to spot with the naked eye. Um, sick.

I tried to steer clear from fast food when I didn't go vegan, but most of your options for food fast was through drive-thru's. And people know that fast food means food-that'll-kill-you-as-soon-as-you-sink-your-teeth-into-it.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
and that's really the biggest problem....just not enough access. where i reside there is only one dinky farmer's market and i'm not even sure what they have is actually local. and supermarkets.....we have one whole foods in the entirety of this particular state and it's 100 miles from where i'm at.

i miss the european way that i had grown accustomed to...there were green grocer's on almost every main street and i often bought my produce that way. in fact,i never even bought meat except for the odd shrimp or fish once a week from real fish mongers. mostly i ate veggie dishes or pasta dishes with veggies in it. and i cannot begin to tell you what a great affect it had on me either....more energy and i lost a considerable amount of weight,healthily.
Are there any farms that offer CSAs in your area? There are some good websites for looking up this stuff by zipcode ... but I'm not sure where at the moment. I'm thinking there may be some other 'hidden' sources. I am lucky to have a really great grocery store that is very thoughtful about where it sources meat, has its own organics line, etc. But it's also amazing the huge variety of things that are available from small farmers here, from rare heirloom turkeys to raw milk to CSAs and everything in between.

At a little farm shop not too far away I've bought some fantastic local (from my state) raw cheese--I wish it were convenient to buy that.

Aside from its tasting great, one thing I like about artisan cheese is that the makers tend to treat their animals well. Some chose the business just so they could be close to the animals all day every day ...

PS Is there a chapter of Slow Food in your state? They would be in the know about all the good local stuff.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 03-02-2010 at 08:21 PM.
03-02-2010
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
^ I love that "broken heart."

fashionsita-ta mentioned eating at Wing Stop, and let's just say the quality of the meat was obvious to spot with the naked eye. Um, sick.

I tried to steer clear from fast food when I didn't go vegan, but most of your options for food fast was through drive-thru's. And people know that fast food means food-that'll-kill-you-as-soon-as-you-sink-your-teeth-into-it.
I haven't seen the stats here lately, but over the past few decades the percentage US households spend on food has gone down significantly. And IMO that has largely happened by reducing the quality of the food ... using artificial means to grow both plants and animals faster and cheaper, cutting every possible corner, etc.

It always completely galls me when I see people saying, Oh, buy pork shoulder, what a bargain, you can find it on sale for .65/lb (or whatever).

At what cost?? Both to us and the animals. (Nina Planck's book, Real Food, does a great job explaining exactly how & why 'real' food is better for us than factory farmed food.) I have great doubts whether a happy pig has ever ended up at .65/lb. Which is why I think the best way to spend less on meat is to eat less of it. And, I think it's very worthwhile to support farmers, producers, stores, etc. who care about producing meat in the best way possible.

04-02-2010
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I guess I am lucky that in Australia there is a big focus on fresh food, and especially as I live in Western Australia there is a big call for people to support local farmers and local produce. We are also lucky in that we have access to a lot of fresh seafood and seasonal fruit and vegies. The culture here is very much about eating meat, (or seafood) but I wouldn't say it's meat for every meal. I couldn't even imagine eating meat for breakfast every day. I maybe have bacon with breakfast once a fortnight on a Sunday.

Power to the 99%

^ I agree, it's more than a bit heavy first thing in the morning! But I suspect most people going through the drive-thru for breakfast are having some meat ... lots of sausage biscuits, chicken biscuits ...

04-02-2010
Power to the 99%

You can search by zipcode at localharvest.org. If you just put in your zip, it will show you everything in the area ...

04-02-2010
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i have severe nutritional deficiencies, so i can't stop eating meat.
Me too. I'm borderline anaemic and extremely protein, and therefore iron, deficient. I've never really been into red meat, but my nutritionist is really strict about it. If you aren't deficient, though, and need protein, you could always try quinoa. It's kind of like rice or cous cous, but it's a complete protein and you can use it just like you'd use rice. Quinoa pudding (like rice pudding) mixed with dried fruit is great!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
eat, meat