How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
04-02-2010
  31
you set the scene
 
cestmagique's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 11,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post

The other thing, Scott, is that often-repeated recommendation to use meat as a 'condiment' ... for some reason I find that word in relation to meat annoying

But recently I bought about half a pound of ground bison and split it in half. Half I cooked & put into several servings of macaroni & cheese, and the other half I cooked & used to doctor bottled spaghetti sauce, which went over several servings of stuffed shells. At a restaurant, all of that could easily have gone into one burger ...
I sort of do too, even though I still use it. It's a good way to communicate how big a portion you mean, though.

__________________
"Marriage is for singles who are quitters."
NTSF: SD: SUV
  Reply With Quote
 
04-02-2010
  32
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
At a little farm shop not too far away I've bought some fantastic local (from my state) raw cheese--I wish it were convenient to buy that.

Aside from its tasting great, one thing I like about artisan cheese is that the makers tend to treat their animals well. Some chose the business just so they could be close to the animals all day every day ...
.
that makes me think back speaking of dairy...i can recall as far back as a 4 and five years old and my uber-southern grandmother churning real butter! there was a highly productive dairy farm not very far from her and this is what she did every few months. not to mention where she got her milk and other dairy products. and i'm not saying i would or anybody else should churn their own butter or anything like that but i think the natural product of a readily available farm has pretty much gone obsolete today,thanks to mass market and big business. and i'm talking about the south too where it used to be everybody lived and swore by almost everything from farm/garden to kitchen. it was what i grew up seeing quite a lot of. none of this exists anymore where i'm at.

i checked that link and found there is a market in the larger neighboring town held twice a week. i will certainly try to get there when they have it and see(and hopefully buy)what their selection is.

  Reply With Quote
04-02-2010
  33
oh! darling
 
papa_levante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: at the bottom of everything
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,373
Thanks fashionista-ta for the localharvest.org link.

But the only thing close to me is a rhubarb farm! I don't know if I wanna eat that.

__________________
i'd rather live it 'cause dreamers always chase but never get it............................... sam ypma
  Reply With Quote
04-02-2010
  34
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,670
^ I'm glad they had something, Scott I'm hopeful that we're headed back in that direction ...

papa, have you ever had rhubarb? Where I grew up, a lot of people had gardens, and there was always rhubarb growing in the corner for some reason! Actually I guess that was because it's perennial, to keep it out of the way of the rototiller. It's good, but it sucks up a lot of sugar because it's totally sour.

I saw your post about white sugar ... no idea whether that's true (sounds like an urban legend in the making to me ), but what I use, in addition to brown sugar, is organic evaporated cane syrup, which is a pale beige color. It's perfectly fine to substitute for refined sugar in any recipe ... I bake with it, etc.

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
04-02-2010
  35
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
 
Belowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 25,858
You could try Agave Nectar as a substitute for sugar also

__________________
  Reply With Quote
05-02-2010
  36
oh! darling
 
papa_levante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: at the bottom of everything
Gender: femme
Posts: 18,373
^ I like the idea of a nectar as a sugar substitute. I need a way to sweeten my teas and I've always used white sugar. I tried brown sugar today and I don't think it did anything. Just made it browner.

__________________
i'd rather live it 'cause dreamers always chase but never get it............................... sam ypma
  Reply With Quote
05-02-2010
  37
front row
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: London
Gender: homme
Posts: 444
^I love how brown sugar makes it look even more tasty! But I think that's just me. Definitely stay away from white sugar. It's the worst.

  Reply With Quote
05-02-2010
  38
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
 
Belowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 25,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
^ I like the idea of a nectar as a sugar substitute. I need a way to sweeten my teas and I've always used white sugar. I tried brown sugar today and I don't think it did anything. Just made it browner.
Agave is a great vegan alternative to honey - you can use it in cooking, as a sweetner, or just drizzle it over slices of fuji apple like I do. Delicious! You could also substitute 'raw sugar' for the brown sugar you're using. I use raw sugar instead of white (and over processed sugar) and it's fine.

__________________
  Reply With Quote
05-02-2010
  39
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,670
^ Raw sugar is yummy too ... I like it in coffee, but it's slow to dissolve because the crystals are so big.

Brown sugar is more flavorful than white because it also has molasses ... I would suggest buying a natural brand, though, because I have heard that brown sugar is sometimes made by spraying white sugar with molasses. Also an urban legend? Who knows ... but it sounds like the kind of stupid thing that would be done :p

I bought bison stew meat for the first time yesterday, and made barley soup ... it turned out well.

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
06-02-2010
  40
V.I.P.
 
BerlinRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MilkyWay-Pluto-Earth
Gender: homme
Posts: 11,200
^isn't raw sugar and brown sugar the same ? in France, we just say "sucre roux" (roux because of the colour) ...

how can you from "how to eat less meat" to butter and sugar ? is that a pie thread ?

anyway, i'm not a big eater of meat (i don't really like that) and the only meat i eat are steack (horse or beaf), chicken, rabbit and duck ... that's a lot actually ...
lol

but as i have already eat meat from USA, I know where the big deal is about your meat ... it's FULL of hormones !!!!!! I remember after 2 weeks of eating meat full of hormones, i looked like a balloon (and i'm not the tiny type, so that was horrible !!!!). then go back to France, and everything was fine.

  Reply With Quote
06-02-2010
  41
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,670
^ How interesting! Of course all our meat isn't like that, but you have to specifically shop for meat that isn't.

Wait a second ... horse??? That's generally illegal for human consumption here. I've tried various exotic things, but I won't be trying that It's commonly thought of as dog food, but since I cook human food for my dogs, they don't eat that ...

Raw and brown sugars are different here. Raw sugar is large crystals. Brown sugar is the same size as white. It also comes in light (same color as raw) and dark, and different recipes call for them that way. The sugar discussion started in the vegetarian and vegan thread ...

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
06-02-2010
  42
windowshopping
 
CinnamonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Providence, USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
Meat is super expensive, so I rarely eat it... I only buy organic chicken (they have to be free range in order to be organic...at least here), but I'm not a big fan of chicken in general. Mainly because of the risk of salmonella, but also because I only like chicken in stews and such. And I'd rather have lamb anyway. I only buy halal as well...the main reason is that I live in the ghetto and we only have halal butchers here, but I think the meat is much better and fresher than what you get in supermarkets.
Yeah totally agree with you there. I like to eat meat, but buying lots of it is just so expensive - especially for the urban dwellers. I disagree that eating meat is unhealthy - I've heard lots of different arguments and honestly I think moderation is key to diet. The Moosewood Cookbook has some great and yummy recipes, all meatless. I'm Guatemalan, so I always end up eating alot of black beans - they are like my childhood comfort food. They are full of fiber and protein, and they have a very nice flavor.

  Reply With Quote
06-02-2010
  43
windowshopping
 
CinnamonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Providence, USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 38
Yeah Agave Nectar is delicious! And its low glycemic too, so it wont spike your blood sugar like the normal stuff

  Reply With Quote
06-02-2010
  44
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonGirl View Post
Yeah totally agree with you there. I like to eat meat, but buying lots of it is just so expensive - especially for the urban dwellers. I disagree that eating meat is unhealthy - I've heard lots of different arguments and honestly I think moderation is key to diet. The Moosewood Cookbook has some great and yummy recipes, all meatless. I'm Guatemalan, so I always end up eating alot of black beans - they are like my childhood comfort food. They are full of fiber and protein, and they have a very nice flavor.
I agree that eating meat isn't inherently unhealthy ... but there are ways of eating meat that I believe are There are also diets that have been shown to cure heart disease, and there is no meat involved as I recall. If you're healthy, I agree that moderation is fine ... and good meat and fish can even be advantageous to your health.

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
15-02-2010
  45
front row
 
Marjon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Amsterdam
Gender: femme
Posts: 405
Just don't buy it and be creative with your food.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
eat, meat
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.