How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-01-2005
windowshopping

How to put on perfume effectively
Hey everyone

When i put on perfume, it never lasts long. within a few minutes the scent will be all gone. i heard that you're not supposed to rub your pulse points on the arm together cause something happens and the perfume will not be as effective.

so how can i make my perfume last longer? does it help when i layer the lotion and then spray the perfume?

Thanks.

26-01-2005
Storm & Sommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulia
Hey everyone

When i put on perfume, it never lasts long. within a few minutes the scent will be all gone. i heard that you're not supposed to rub your pulse points on the arm together cause something happens and the perfume will not be as effective.

so how can i make my perfume last longer? does it help when i layer the lotion and then spray the perfume?

Thanks.
You are supposed to apply the perfume to your pulse points..those are the warmest spots on your body (with the excepting of your head). I've also heard that rubbing the perfume is bad..it "breaks" the perfume.

Scent rises up..so an idea would be to apply the perfume in the hollow of your knees, on your chest as well as the more common place : the wrist.

Yes, applying a lotion, talc, using bodyshampoo etc along with the same serie perfume will intensify the perfume.

I don't know if you are aware that perfume comes in different concentrations/strengths stongest is parfume, then eau de parfume, and last eau de toilette.

Could it be that you have become immune to the perfume you use ? ..it happends to quiet a few.
I suggest you ask your friends if they think you could use a higher dosis..or if you wear enough

pinterest : hanneonpin

Last edited by Hanne; 26-01-2005 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling
26-01-2005
V.I.P.

Also depends on the skin type. Some skins (like mine) just don't hold perfume, and that's all there is to it.

One more spot people apply perfume to is behind the ears. Not sure why, probably for the same reason Hanne state.

26-01-2005
fashion insider

I was wondering, so far, for men's fragrances, I've only seen Eau de Toilette, the weakest or one of the weakest concentrations. Do they not come in stronger concentrations, (ex. the elixir, undiluted form) for men?

26-01-2005
V.I.P.

One must take into consideration the concentration of the scent, Paulia.

EDC - Eau de cologne is the least concentrated form of a fragrance
(2 - 5% perfume oil dissolved in water and alcohol), then comes...
EDT - Eau de toilette (4 - 10%), followed by....
EDP - Eau de parfum (8 - 15%), and finally the most concentrated....
PARFUM or Perfume (15 - 25%)

Also, sometimes when you have worn the same scent for some time, one ceases to smell it. Beware, as it is tempting to keep piling it on when everyone else can smell it rather easily.

Procrastinator.

Faust is right about skin types. Generally oiler skins tend to hold scent for longer than drier skins. I've also read that people with oiler skins (often brunettes) tend to choose warmer, spicier scents, while people with drier skins (often blondes) tend to go for crisper, cooler scents--but that could be a load of bosh.

I find that perfume lasts longer on the insides of my elbows than on my wrists. Also, I think perfume tends to cling to hair (not that you should spray it directly on your hair, but misting it in the air and walking through works, as does spritzing some on your brush).

26-01-2005
Hoppity Hop

Maybe this provides some guidance. In the December 2004 Elle (p. 233), perfumer Lyn Harris does it this way:

Quote:
"Before I get dressed, I spritz my fragrance below my collarbone area and between my breasts. I also mist my hair because hair is extremely pourous and retains the aroma well. The same is true of dry skin. I spray a bit on the insides of my elbows and the backs of my knees. In the winter, dabbing perfume on your scarf and the lining of your coat is a nice touch. For people who pass you on the street, it's very sensual. And when you remove your jacket, you'll release another little burst of fragrance."

27-01-2005
trendsetter

Yeah, as said by Lyn Harris, its nice putting it in your hair as its subtle. And like you said, don't rub the perfume in, let it dry naturally, or else you bruise the scent.

And ditto what everyone else said

30-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealady
Also, sometimes when you have worn the same scent for some time, one ceases to smell it. Beware, as it is tempting to keep piling it on when everyone else can smell it rather easily.

This is so true! My friend once nearly killed the rest of us with Body Shop's Dewberry when she got into the car but she couldn't smell it at all!!!

30-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar07
This is so true! My friend once nearly killed the rest of us with Body Shop's Dewberry when she got into the car but she couldn't smell it at all!!!
I did the same thing when I was 13 (long time ago ) with Body Shop's Dewberry. They sent me home from my Saturday job as I was killing all the staff and customers!! I couldn't smell it at all......It's evil, concentrated, crazy stuff!!

30-01-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealady
One must take into consideration the concentration of the scent, Paulia.

EDC - Eau de cologne is the least concentrated form of a fragrance
(2 - 5% perfume oil dissolved in water and alcohol), then comes...
EDT - Eau de toilette (4 - 10%), followed by....
EDP - Eau de parfum (8 - 15%), and finally the most concentrated....
PARFUM or Perfume (15 - 25%)

When that happens, meaning you have olfactory fatique, you should place the fragrance in the refrigerator and move on for a few months, trying new ones, and then later on take it out again.

Do men's fragrances come in Eau de Parfum and Parfum? I wish I could find the more concentrated versions, and so far I've only found one which was an oil from biotherm, called Aqua Relax for men.

What does Eau de Soins mean? One of my Clarins fragrances that I used to sleep with and use when in the house called Eau Dynamisante didn't sap EDT or EDC, it said Eau de Soins.

30-01-2005
front row

For perfume, I've heard that you're suppose to apply it on the warmest parts of your body -- where your skin is the thinnest. So behind the ears, your wrists and your neck. But I guess from what everyone has posted, it depends on your skin type. I always just put it behind my ears and my neck and it lasts pretty long for me.

30-01-2005
within an embrace

Someone told me that if you spray a bit on your clothes (er, the top only) that the scent lingers longer. Or maybe that really only works really well if you're wearing a jacket...(he was)...but he did smell reallllllly nice for the rest of the day...he put some on the inside of his jacket...who knows.

Sometimes perfume lasts long on me, sometimes it doesn't...

it really does depend on the type...EdT, EdP....Parfum...

31-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar07
That's so funny and so true!!! I used to wear Body Shop's Peach Nectar and I would use the entire line and still couldn't smell it and my sisters and friends would all smell it except me. It smelled good but I just hate when I can't smell my own scents.

25-08-2005
trendsetter

Good post! I know it's a bit old now, but I just found it, and it was so helpful. I'm 14, and I just recently started wearing perfume (Givenchy Simply Irrisistible). I love the scent, but I could never get the perfume scent to stay. Now I know why: Someone once told me that to invigorate the scent more that you have to rub your wrists together after you apply it. I was starting to think that was total bull, because it wasn't doing any good, and now I know it was doing the exact opposite Someone got their facts mixed up. I should try putting it on the inside of my elbows, too.
Does anyone know if it matters how dark your skin tone is to how long it lasts?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
effectively, perfume