How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-07-2006
windowshopping

i think there r products that can bleach ur hair to make it lighter
its for facial hair tho, heard its not bad.

veet was the first hair removal method i ever tried, i didnt like the smell and it doesnt work that well, at least to me.
i'd rather shave.

12-07-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene_A
Well, there's laser and wax . They don't hurt so much, it's just a matter of getting used to it.
Does it grow back darker when you wax?
When you shave, it does (not that I shave my legs)

13-07-2006
backstage pass

For anyone who uses electric shavers; men's shavers with the round things on the end are much better than women's shavers and there is much less risk of cutting yourself. I discovered this after my shaver ran out of batteries and I needed to shave under my arms, so I asked my boyfriend if I could borrow his. Anyway, with my normal shaver it usually leaves hair long enough to be visible no matter how many times I try to shave it, but with my boyfriend's shaver it was completely smooth! No tiny hairs or stubble at all. I just thought some of you would like to know.

13-07-2006
V.I.P.

^What brand of shaver?

13-07-2006
fashion icon

Eurasian Mélange ~ thank you so much for sharing this!!

13-07-2006
backstage pass

Irene_A - Thanks. I guess I will try another brand of waxing stuff, then. Laser is too expensive right now. I did try waxing once but it was messy and didn't remove the hair at all.

gius - It's a Philip's Philishaver. Kind of looks like this.

Midori - You're welcome.

13-07-2006
V.I.P.

Thank you! It looks great

15-07-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius
Does it grow back darker when you wax?
When you shave, it does (not that I shave my legs)
I've been waxing since I was 12 and my hair is not darker than then, and best of all, there are areas in my legs where there's no hair at all, and I'm 19. You just have to exfoliate your legs rather often because if you don't, as hair gets thinner and weaker, it keeps under your skin and doesn't get out (and it looks very bad then).

15-07-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurasian Mélange
Irene_A - Thanks. I guess I will try another brand of waxing stuff, then. Laser is too expensive right now. I did try waxing once but it was messy and didn't remove the hair at all.
Did you do it yourself? What kind of wax did you use? Cold, hot? I've always had it done with hot wax.

15-07-2006
V.I.P.

Irene_A Hot wax? That sounds painful. I was thinking of trying cold wax...
Is exfoliating when you use a cleanser that's a bit gritty? Or is it when you brush your skin with a hard-bristle brush?

15-07-2006
trendsetter

I think both things are exfoliating, I use a special cleanser once a week because I like it better, it's fun. Cold wax doesn't work for me, it just breaks my hair, hot wax opens your pores so that the whole hair is pulled out. It hurts at the beginning but now I don't feel anything, and I use wax in very sensitive parts of my body.

15-07-2006
scenester

I have an epilator as well. I dont think it hurts that much. I wish I didnt get ingrown hairs in my legs. I get a lot of them I also get a lot of red dots.
The epilator works great in my armpits though, and I dont get ingrown hairs there. I think it depends on the type of skin you have.
I think I am going to try shaving now and see how that goes.
Ive tried waxing but I dont like waiting for the hair to be long enough to wax and my hair grows back fast.

15-07-2006
front row

I used to shave and wax, but I've been epilating for about two and a half years now and won't ever go back. Hopefully I can answer some of the questions asked in this thread

1. I think regrowth times for epilating/waxing are the same -both rip the hair out from the root -waxing just does a strip at a time by trapping hairs in the wax that then get ripped out, whilst epilating has a row of rotating tweezers, which pluck the hairs out. Hair takes longer to grow back after epilating and waxing than shaving because of this -shaving merely cuts the hair shorter, leaving the root below skin level.

2. Ingrown hairs happen when hair grows back but doesn't grow through the outer layer of skin, so it grows under the skin. It's particularly likely to happen if your hair is curly (as it grows back on itself). I've heard that waxing and epilating make the hair that grows back thinner, which is good in one sense (as I know people who swear that decades of waxing/epilating have stopped their hair growing back), but bad as it makes the hair weaker and thus makes it more likely it won't 'push through' the upper layer of skin.

Dry-brushing and exfoliating help prevent/treat ingrowns. A friend of mine was told not to have a warm bath/shower or moisturise for 24hrs after a wax and says it has made a huge difference to ingrowns -but I couldn't do this, I need to shower and moisturise after epilating!

You can get products that treat and prevent ingrown hairs -I currently use Tendskin, which is good but expensive. When my bottle runs out I'm planning on using some of the anti-ingrown solutions sold at black beauty supplies (to treat black men's ingrowns from shaving) which are cheaper and have the same active ingredient (aspirin). On makeupalley.com they have a recipie for a homemade solution from alcohol and aspirin to treat ingrowns.

Btw, Tendskin and the like also helps treat those red dots (not ingrowns) you get after waxing or epilating (I also used to get them from shaving my bikini line). I think they're just from the shock of ripping the hair roots out. The aspirin calms them down.

3. I've heard lots of different things about whether or not waxing/epilating actually does make your hair grow back finer. Some say it does as it demoralises the hair follicle, some say it just appears finer, as the new hair grows back with a 'point', as opposed to the thick 'blunt' shape you get after shaving (like when you cut your hair in a straight line; it looks thicker). My personal experience is that epilating has gotten easier with time, although regrowth times haven't decreased, and my hair seems sparser (although the hair that remains doesn't itself seem thinner).

4. I far prefer epilating to waxing. I don't have the money to go to a waxer as often as I would need to (being both a poor student, and a hairy one) and epilating is just much easier to do yourself. Even though initially it hurts more, you soon get used to it and there's none of the hassle of waxing: the dread before you rip the strip off, the struggling with messy wax, the waiting until all of your hair reaches a length long enough to wax, the accidental ripping off of skin, realising you missed a little patch after you've finally put all of the waxing stuff away, et cetera. With epilating you can just plug it in and do as little or as large area as you like, and I've found that all of my 'visible' hair is long enough to remove with an epilator. Also, although it hurts, the machine does most of the work so you can distract yourself by watching tv. Plus, I find it much more economical -I've had the same £50 epilator for two and a half years.

5. I feel 'smoother' after waxing/epilating than shaving -although sometimes, when all the hair hasn't grown long enough you can't get the closeness of a shave with an epilator. When that happens and I need really smooth legs, I just shave -it doesn't affect the effectivenes of epilating.

Hope some of that helps someone -I really am an epilator convert and would recommend EVERYONE who has hair removal issues to at least give it a go

15-07-2006
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberwench
I used to shave and wax, but I've been epilating for about two and a half years now and won't ever go back. Hopefully I can answer some of the questions asked in this thread
thank you for the answers!
Ive tried to look for the recipie for the homemade solution at makeupalley but I can't find it. Can you post it please?

19-07-2006
tfs star

I'd like a little information about laser hair removal. I am TERMINALY lazy about shaving. Is it permanent? How much does it cost? Does it hurt? What are the potential bad effects, I've heard some pretty scary stories about it..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hair, legs, removal