How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-01-2009
Storm & Sommer

Cado please credit your source

pinterest : hanneonpin

30-01-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cado View Post
Is this worth the price? About 30 $ I guess.

I.D concealer brush.
Oops, I forgot. Source; www.miamakeup.com

Last edited by miu_miu; 31-01-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: See tFS guidelines - quoting images
13-02-2009
backstage pass

Cado, that brush is quite popular over at MUA. But keep in mind that most people that have it, got it for free with the BE starter kit, and I don't think one demands as much of a brush when you didn't really pay for it. (That kit as a whole is a pretty good buy though.)

I use mine every day, but I can't really say if it would be worth buying separately. It's there, so I use it. I'm really much too lazy with brushes.

Speaking of which - I'm thinking of replacing my BE kabuki with something else, since all the reviews I've seen recently say there are much better things out there for applying mineral foundation. In fact most of MUA seems to hate this brush with a passion.

MAC's 182 seems like a good option. Any other suggestions?

(nordstrom.com)

13-02-2009
backstage pass

has anybody tried eco tools brushes? They're all natural and sustainable, which sounds really nice, but I don't know how the quality of the brushes are. And they're really cheap so I don't know if they're any good. I'm thinking of ordering the mineral brush set, but I'm just worried that they could potentially suck...

backstage pass

If you google it, you'll see that some beauty bloggers seem to be quite happy with them. But as for the "sustainability" angle - the difference between these and any other brush with a wooden handle is in all likelihood minimal. The best thing you can do, if you care about that sort of thing, is get a brush that is good enough to use for a long time and won't be in the garbage in a couple of months.

14-02-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by roisin View Post
has anybody tried eco tools brushes? They're all natural and sustainable, which sounds really nice, but I don't know how the quality of the brushes are. And they're really cheap so I don't know if they're any good. I'm thinking of ordering the mineral brush set, but I'm just worried that they could potentially suck...
I use eco tools, really because it was the only brand I could get in my town and I was in dire need.
Anyway,
I ended up really loving them.

Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondes View Post
Speaking of which - I'm thinking of replacing my BE kabuki with something else, since all the reviews I've seen recently say there are much better things out there for applying mineral foundation. In fact most of MUA seems to hate this brush with a passion.

MAC's 182 seems like a good option. Any other suggestions?

(nordstrom.com)
I don't have any suggestions of which ones you could buy (sorry ) but I can certainly suggest that you not buy the Bourjois kabuki. It's a good brush but it starts sheding bristles after you wash it for the first time (and also you must put a bit of hair conditioner on it otherwise it will irritate the skin once it's dry and ready to be used). The MAC kabuki seems like the perfect choice. I see many people praising the Everyday Minerals kabuki as well.

windowshopping

i just purchased the MAC 187 stippling brush last week due to great reviews on youtube, and it is hands down the BEST synthetic fiber brush that i've used to apply foundation. my foundation is "buffed" on, and the end result is flawless and AIRBRUSHED looking.

i dislike regular foundation brushes because i find that they don't blend very well, as well as the likeliness of leaving streaks.

Does anyone know of any great big and full brushes for applying loose powder? i've tried many different brands in the past, but i'm trying to find one to commit to.

Last edited by eli5e; 10-03-2009 at 12:55 AM.
10-03-2009
rising star

I have the MAC 182 brush, I don't think it's that good tbh, mind you I haven't really used it properly for applying my mineral foundation, I should give it a try really else it was just a waste of money.

Eli5e I have a dupe of the 187 and just wandering how you apply it? I've watched a few vids on Youtube but can't seem to get a flawless finish?

10-03-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

how does the stippling brush work? Do you use it with any regular foundation? I never got into using brushes for foundation or concealer and only occasionally use mine because I find it can make my skin look chalky/dry if it's not warmed up by my fingers.

For a powder brush, I simply use a Bobbi Brown basic blush brush I got years ago and to be honest, it works a dream. I don't know what you're looking for, but it's always done a great job in the past and I get loads of coverage with it (and it holds the powder well).

10-03-2009
little soul

I put foundation on my hand and dip the brush in, dab that all over my face and then start blending it all together by swirling and buffing until it's all smooth. I like using 187 compared to flat foundation brushes because you can blend more easily and you don't get streaks. However, in my experience it works better with a cream foundation as opposed to liquid and you have to keep it clean because it can get almost clogged up with product and that makes it harder to get a smooth finish. I don't think I use enough foundation to really get the benefits of this brush, but I probably wouldn't use anything else to apply foundation

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly.S View Post
I have the MAC 182 brush, I don't think it's that good tbh, mind you I haven't really used it properly for applying my mineral foundation, I should give it a try really else it was just a waste of money.

Eli5e I have a dupe of the 187 and just wandering how you apply it? I've watched a few vids on Youtube but can't seem to get a flawless finish?
I don't have the 182-just the 181-but I absolutely love it, and it's not just for mineral foundation. I use it for things such as the Beauty Powders (the pressed ones) or something like a Sheer Mystery powder-something that is very low shimmer, but meant for all over the face. Also you can use it in very small circles to buff out a harsher blush, like Devil or Azalea.

10-03-2009
windowshopping

The way that I use my 187 is by first dabbing foundation (i use MUFE HD) onto my face, and then i "stipple" it, or dab it using the brush to cover my face, and then i start buffing it in CIRCULAR motions so it's very well blended. when i buff it, it seems to work better if i hold the brush near the end, not so close to the ferrule so that i can have a more "natural" and flawless look (if that makes sense). i don't know how to describe it, but when i hold it close to the bristles, i end up w/ a more harshly applied look, similar to what a sponge might do, but this is all in my own opinion.

i've seen videos and tutorials at the MAC counter where people pump out some foundation onto the back of their hands, and stipple it on from their hands, similar to a palette.

i think it works great for liquid foundations, and the only creams that i have used it for is concealer. it does a terrific job in buffing in the concealer, a look that wouldn't be achieved just by using a concealer brush or your fingers. i have also tried it with the Smashbox O Glow (after seeing that on youtube ), and it just blends in perfectly after i buff it in circular motions.

i really want to invest in a separate brush for the blush though, preferably the smaller 188 brush, but we'll see. this is a terrific brush that does a great job in blending for a "natural" application. i have not used it for any powders though.

rising star

Thanks for the tips guys

I've done my foundation like you said and it does look better, I only used a cheapie one though just incase it didn't look right and I'd have to wash it off again.

13-03-2009
rising star

You can also use the skunk/stippling brush for very pigmented blushes or highlighters...It makes it looks so much better because it really buffs into the skin giving you that "glow from within" look.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brushes, makeup