How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-07-2009
boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijuyanah View Post
So, how often do you guys wash or clean your brushes? And is it enough to just wash them with water + soap? Or should I simply buy a new one? Because I'm really not fond of using a (more or less) dirty brush on my skin...

I try to wash my brushes once a week. I like to use Cinema Secrets brush cleaner because it just makes it so easy, all I have to do is dip my brushes in the cleaner and then wipe them off. Plus they dry very quickly this way.

I've been dying to get a set of Shu brushes. Most of my brushes right now are MAC and while I like them a great deal I think that some of the older ones could be replaced. I recently got a great brush for the crease from Laura Mercier and have branched out with some Nars brushes as well.

24-07-2009
fashion elite

What do you guys recommend for beginners, in terms of buying brushes? I usually just wear mascara and eyeliner on a day to day basis, but have recently wanted to start experiementing more with different shadows and other eye lining products. So basically, I think I'm just looking for useful eye brushes. I don't wear blush, foundation, etc so I don't need any brushes for that. I checked out the Sigma brushes that a few were talking about here and saw that they have a kit just with eye brushes. Has anyone used this, how is it?

24-07-2009
Rebaptising my badness

^If you want a good, lasting set, you should definitely go for the Sigma eye set. But if you want something cheaper just for starters, you should consider Coastal Scents.

scenester

What's the quality like on Lancome brushes? I'm really tempted by the Lancome blue brush set that Nordstrom has for their universe sale, mostly just because it's really cute...but I'm usually a MAC girl when it comes to brushes.

24-07-2009
front row

Me too I actually saw it today and got very tempted but I don't think the quality is good after touching the bristles they feel cheap.... not very soft.

25-07-2009
rising star

I always like to touch the bristles of brushes that have been on the stand for a while...you get an idea of how they hold up. The guerlain brushes cost more then mac but feel awful! really scratchy.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mod View Post
What's the quality like on Lancome brushes? I'm really tempted by the Lancome blue brush set that Nordstrom has for their universe sale, mostly just because it's really cute...but I'm usually a MAC girl when it comes to brushes.
Good thought Miss Mod, have you try Dior powder brush? You'll mad with that, its really soft.

17-11-2009
scenester

Make-Up Brushes
Not sure if this topic already exists, so if so, feel free to remove it.

Anyway, what are your favorite make-up brushes? I just started to recently build up my collection and so far have only bought MAC. However I've heard Louise Young is good, if not better, and that Crown is cheap but good quality.

18-11-2009
THE STRANGER

So far, I love the Giorgio Armani #22 Eye Contour Brush, it is one of my HG brushes and I use it every day!

saksfifth

For the shadow eyeliner look, I use the NARS #15 Smudge Brush, I think MAC has an alternative, but it's more expensive.

amazon

I also use a few cheap brushes that my friend got me from Sephora and they are the best.

Don't get the MAC 190 foundation brush. It is a bit streaky, and the hairs don't stay in place sometimes. Stay away from the NARS #1 Blush Brush, it is disgusting... when I wash it, the color of its hairs actually comes on, they do a poor job of dyeing the brush black.

18-11-2009
In Bloom

I do have some brushes from The Body Shop. A foundation brush that does what it's supposed to do - I use it for cream blushes. It isn't streaky, but it needs to be cleaned often, otherwise the hairs sort of clings together and the application goes streaky. I also have an slanted eye brush that I use for my brows. BRILLIANT. Too big for eye liner/the lash line IMO. It's very broad and dense, and doing my brows takes 30 seconds with this one. I also have one of those line softener brushes - verrrry good for kohl!

thebodyshop.com

I also have a MAC 208, my one and only MAC brush until I get the 109 and 187. It is FANTASTIC for gel liners! Holy moly! You have so much control of it, it's super easy to clean and not a hair ever falls out of place.
I'm getting the 109 because it's amazing for foundation - and blush of course You can get really high coverage out of any crap foundation with that brush and some toner. Spritz your face and the brush, then buff the foundation in - brilliant. I'm getting the 187 for pigmented blushes/bronzers and if I get bored with the 109 for foundation application.

208, 109 and 187

maccosmetics.com

I have a Shiseido concealer brush - how would I ever live without this? Concealer is everything to me because I have dark circles. It is really really good.

I really wanted the MAC 217/224 for blending concealer (yes, it does work) but MAC is super expensive here and I'm trying the ELF blending eye brush instead. It's being shipped from the UK so it takes a while to get here...it has gotten great reviews along with the 239 dupe that ELF does (I also got that one).

eyelipsface.co.uk | maccosmetics.com

we were in love

Last edited by The_Ida; 18-11-2009 at 07:48 AM.
18-11-2009
THE STRANGER

^OMG I used to have the 208, but I lost it in a hotel. I miss it so much You have a lovely collection of brushes!

18-11-2009
V.I.P.

I have some from brushes from the body shop, they're not something you want to waist your money on...they hurt my eyelids..also the Sephora brand ones aren't that good..

front row

my favorite brushes are all from MAC: the 214, 217, 239 and 187!

18-11-2009
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonaka View Post
I have some from brushes from the body shop, they're not something you want to waist your money on...they hurt my eyelids..also the Sephora brand ones aren't that good..
I think they're very good, actually

we were in love

18-11-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
I also have a MAC 208, my one and only MAC brush until I get the 109 and 187. It is FANTASTIC for gel liners! Holy moly! You have so much control of it, it's super easy to clean and not a hair ever falls out of place.
I'm getting the 109 because it's amazing for foundation - and blush of course You can get really high coverage out of any crap foundation with that brush and some toner. Spritz your face and the brush, then buff the foundation in - brilliant. I'm getting the 187 for pigmented blushes/bronzers and if I get bored with the 109 for foundation application.

208, 109 and 187

***Please do not quote images***

maccosmetics.com

the 187 is yum! i have it and i am oh so in love. it makes your make-up look airbrushed.

Last edited by classicalbang; 18-11-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brushes, makeup