How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-02-2010
V.I.P.

I can't wait to get my hands on some new brushes. Has anyone tried the Shu Uemura ones?

06-03-2010
V.I.P.

How do you guys clean your brushes?

scenester

I just use shampoo since I can't be bothered to buy a separate brush cleanser.

08-03-2010
front row

To be honest I think blush cleansers are a waste of money. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with washing your brushes with gentle shampoo. Sometimes I even use hair conditioner to make the hairs on my brushes nice and soft (brushes with natural hairs that is). As long as you cleanse them properly and don't leave any residue behind, your brushes should be fine! This thread reminds me that my blush brush is overdue for a cleaning

08-03-2010
THE STRANGER

^That's not exactly true. Our makeup brushes can get infested with bacteria accumulated over time, and shampoos are not anti-bacterial agents, at best they're mild anti-septics. The thing about brush cleansers is that they contain a high concentration of isopropyl alcohol or ethanol to ensure that the brush is properly sanitized and bacteria is actually killed.
That's why you always see makeup counters sanitizing their brushes with professional brush cleansers. If they were to use shampoo... Well I'd never step foot in their store again.

That being said, yes, they are a waste of money because most of them are just high concentrations of isopropyl alcohol and negligible amounts of other cleansing/anti-bacterial agents. What I do is just buy myself a large, cheap bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean my brushes and sanitize my makeup. It doesn't dry out the brushes at all.

08-03-2010
THE STRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonaka View Post
I can't wait to get my hands on some new brushes. Has anyone tried the Shu Uemura ones?
Yes, I have! I'm using the Shu Uemura one right now. To be honest, most of it is just Isopropyl Alcohol anyway. I suspect the concentration is really strong - maybe 60%? You're better off buying a bottle of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol from the market and watering it down a bit to clean your brushes with!

13-03-2010
backstage pass

I get my make up brushes from Smashbox. Well worth their price and they do an amazing job.

15-03-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonaka View Post
How do you guys clean your brushes?
I use Fancl's Cleansing Liquid. I squeeze a bit in my hand then wipe my brush around my hand in the liquid in circular motions. I then wet it and do it again till it is all clear. The colour of the soap on my hand afterwards..

15-03-2010
V.I.P.

seriousley the cleanser I got with my beauty blender sucks...I have to use so frigging much to get it a little clean.

windowshopping

Shampoo can be fine for casual cleaning but it is important to use an antibacterial product especially for the eye brushes. Remember, too, never let them dry brush side up to prevent water from dripping and tarnishing/rusting/damaging the wand. It's best to let them lay flat on a clean cloth or paper towel in sunlight.

18-03-2010
windowshopping

I'm really happy with e.l.f brushes. You can buy them for a song (more like a hum actually) and they work great for everyday applications. More sophisticated/artistic looks would best be achieved with other products...but even that would depend on your own skills. So I definitely recommended e.l.f.

18-03-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Remember, too, never let them dry brush side up to prevent water from dripping and tarnishing/rusting/damaging the wand.
Very much agree. In doing so, the water will loosen the adhesive, resulting in the wand being detached and/or bristles shedding

Also, don't forget to clean the handles as they accumulate dirt and oil from our hands. Depending on how you store your brushes, the handles often touch the bristles of other brushes, thus transferring all that gook. You can use rubbing alcohol/surgical spirit to either spray the handles directly or use paper towel and wipe them down.

18-03-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndayMae View Post
Very much agree. In doing so, the water will loosen the adhesive, resulting in the wand being detached and/or bristles shedding

Also, don't forget to clean the handles as they accumulate dirt and oil from our hands. Depending on how you store your brushes, the handles often touch the bristles of other brushes, thus transferring all that gook. You can use rubbing alcohol/surgical spirit to either spray the handles directly or use paper towel and wipe them down.
Thank you all so much for the tips..I'm such a noob even tho I've been using makeup for almost 10 years now..(wow I'm old) I really really appreciate you sharing you knowledge and experience with me

In Bloom

I just ordered some more ELF brushes...two concealer brushes and another eye blending brush (my fave eye brush EVER). And they are so cheap!

we were in love

15-06-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
Has anyone tried Japonesque brushes? I have my eyes on this one

hqhair.com
I love my Japonesque brushes! I haven't tried the one in your link, but I have a cuople of concealer brushes and the small detailer eyeshadow brush, and the quality is great, especially considering the modest price.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brushes, makeup