How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-02-2004
offline.

Quote:
Originally posted by tgp@Feb 24th, 2004 - 9:49 am
and the Shimmerbrick in bronze is one of my all time favs.
I love my bronze shimmer brick so much! It's so versatile.. and it seems as if It hasn't even worn down at all.. and i've had it since november!

25-02-2004
tgp
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally posted by luna+Feb 24th, 2004 - 11:14 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luna @ Feb 24th, 2004 - 11:14 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-tgp@Feb 24th, 2004 - 9:49 am
and the Shimmerbrick in bronze is one of my all time favs.
I love my bronze shimmer brick so much! It's so versatile.. and it seems as if It hasn't even worn down at all.. and i've had it since november! [/b][/quote]
I love the pink one,too! There is a limited edition beige Shimmerbrick at Neiman's(or Nordstrom?) right now.

08-04-2004
The mod squad

Hi everyone...
Just thought wud b so nice if everyone could share like websites or links
where u can find useful tips about make up,as it can be soooo confusing
sometimes

Here's one i found,and might i say,all of these looks are amazing!

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/...5&cmCat=beauty4

V.I.P.

Here's my first tip for achieving those looks: organize airbrushing 24/7.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tealady@Apr 8th, 2004 - 5:24 pm
*gasp*
Those women have no facial lines at all...

08-04-2004
The mod squad

I jus meant for inspiration

elementary.

i'm liking the 'awake' one lovely fresh use of colour
i'm always a fan of simple natural looks with sculpted cheekbones . . NARS/chantecaille/YSL are great but it does help that the models have fab cheekbones to start off with

front row

Quote:
Originally posted by tealady@Apr 8th, 2004 - 5:24 pm
haha excatly!

rising star

Hi every one!

Would somebody give me some hints about basic makeup?
I mean covering imperfections+zits+undereye shadows...

Ive read something about this but maybe you can give me some interesting links about this, or magazine articles I can read in the internet.
I have some books (aucoin/brown) but Im searching for new ideas on minimal makeup...

My main questions are:

Foundation (for every day) yes or not?
Concealers....liquid or creamy?
Setting powder yes or not?

I really like the basic faces I see in models and actresses (What journalists naively call bare-face in interviews HAHAHAHA) but I somehow end up applying too much...or looking made up instead of fresh faced!!!!

Thanks in advance to all the glorious souls who can help me in this...

28-04-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

I don't know much (I'm sure Ale does...he has a magic lanta full of information)...

However, if your boyfriend wears white shirts then use mascara that sets dry onto the lashes...because if it goes on shirts it's a **** to get off...

tgp
fashion elite

You can use foundation every day if you keep your skin healthy and use the proper formula for your skin type. I use less during the day and always use a foundation brush for a natual, even application with out the bacteria that lives in sponges

concealers-creamy for under eyes. Formulas that are good for covering blemishes, etc, are usually to dry looking under the eyes. I always use two different formulas.

powder to set-always unless your skin is really dry. I like loose powder with a brush to set, pressed powder for touch ups.

I love to answer these questions, so ask away!

28-04-2004
rising star

Thanks T!

My main problem is with MINIMUM makeup...The one you use for weekends or just to have a coffee with a friend without looking like a corpse (with pimples Yuck!)

I seem to never get right minimalistic makeup, or the makeup you use to just cover imperfections and fake good skin. When I paint my face (foundation+eyeliner+mascara...the full monty) it looks very good, but when its only the basics I always get lost. I put concealer, and then a little setting powder and then I look weird...!

Is it the amount Im wearing?
Is it the products?
Is it the tools?

I dont have dry skin but powder seems to look funny on me withour foundation...
How should I apply it if I still want a dewy look on my face (more natural than a matte face at 9.00 am)

Thanks again to let me vent my existential deepest problems....

28-04-2004
backstage pass

Try mixing your foundation with moisturizer. I hate to look like I have makeup on, but my face is sometimes a bit pinker than I want it (stupid adolescence...). Just be sure that you don't use something that will leave your face oily. I use Olay Complete with UV defense (unscented) every day because it makes my skin feel nice without any residue. I feel cleaner and softer with it on. Only when I need a bit of coverage do I add some foundation. It kind of makes my skin look glowy and nice rather than powdery. The idea is also to keep the foundation from getting too thick and masklike.

You can also get tinted moisturizers. I've never tried them, but I've heard that they work nicely. If you have lots of wrinkles (as in, you look over fifty or sixty, I think, not just the little ones of your thirties and forties) and you use foundation, do not use powders because they emphasize lines. I just read that somewhere and it makes sense.

After the foundation (if you do use some--not too much, though), you might want to add a hint of blush (if you feel that you need it) and perhaps a stroke of mascara (depending on your eyes). A very subtle lip balm or maybe a tint could be nice on your lips--the bare minimum to make them look fresh and healthy (not dry), but not overdone. I like to put on a little balm so that they aren't dry, but I don't like anything shiny. I think it depends on your look, though. You may want more color (especially if you're older).

What is your coloring like? What kind of makeup looks best on you? My stepmother, for example, puts on a bit of blush and some mascara and looks fabulous because she has really high cheekbones and eyes that mascara really opens up. The look is light, but stunning. She also uses lipstick, but you really notice her eyes and her coloring. My mom's staples, on the other hand, are lipstick and a little blush. Her eyes don't look very different with mascara, so she never bothers.

When the two of them get dressed up, they may use more makeup in different ways, but their slightly lighter looks show which products show off their faces best. They're also both way older than I am, though (in their forties, but both very young-looking), so certain things that they do are more important than they would be for me. My mom likes to use lipstick because she thinks her lips have gotten thinner and less colorful with her age, but I never use lipstick because it makes me look really old.

I haven't made my point very clear. Not that that's typical or anything... The point of talking about my mom and stepmom is that different things look best on different ages, colors, and general face structures. If you have a darker complection and, say, really dark eyelashes naturally, maybe lipstick looks smashing (but in a natural way for this look). Maybe a touch of mascara opens up your face. Maybe you're pale and just a hint of blush makes you glow.

You probably know what type of product looks really good on you. Experiment with very light product use in a couple of areas (aside from your skin) and see what looks best and most natural with your face. I would advise you to avoid eyeliner and to keep anything else extremely light.

I almost never use make-up other than to cover skin blemishes, though, so you might not want to pay attention to any of what I said aside from the skin advice. I kind of went on a tangent. Sorry about the novel!

28-04-2004
rising star

So sweeeeeeet and very educational eloes! Thanks a looooot!

Im 37 and I dont have wrinkles...but I still break out frequently (what a drag!)
Im gonna try some of the hints you gave me tomorrow...Yeah I gotta be braver with a little blush and mascara...It really makes a difference lin people my age (lets say Sarah Jessica Parker).

Thanks again!

28-04-2004
tgp
fashion elite

What do you use for your breakouts? I used to have them and now it is almost never thanks to the Murad Acne kit on Sephora. Proactive is good too, but this is the best I have ever tried.

The suggestion to mix foundation with moisturizer is good-I like Mac Strobe Cream b/c it has light reflective particles in it that perfect the look of the skin and it doesn't feel oily. When I go really light on makeup I only use under eye concealer, a little foundation on nose and cheeks, and Strobe everywhere else. Set with a touch of powder.

as far as tools go:

*again, the foundation brush is fantastic for blending everything.

*use a big, fluffy brush to dust a light amount of loose powder on to set makeup without looking cakey.

if you still need help, let me know what products you use

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makeup, thread, tips