How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tgp@Apr 28th, 2004 - 8:42 pm
What do you use for your breakouts? I used to have them and now it is almost never thanks to the Murad Acne kit on Sephora. Proactive is good too, but this is the best I have ever tried.

The suggestion to mix foundation with moisturizer is good-I like Mac Strobe Cream b/c it has light reflective particles in it that perfect the look of the skin and it doesn't feel oily. When I go really light on makeup I only use under eye concealer, a little foundation on nose and cheeks, and Strobe everywhere else. Set with a touch of powder.

as far as tools go:

*again, the foundation brush is fantastic for blending everything.

*use a big, fluffy brush to dust a light amount of loose powder on to set makeup without looking cakey.

if you still need help, let me know what products you use
Where can you find Murad Acne Kit? This may sound stupid but ever since the agency's model apartment was moved to Broad st. in downtown Manhatten Ali has been having trouble with her skin breaking out. The weird part is it's not just her but some of the other model's too. Do you think it's possible that the enviroment in that area is somehow polluted. I know how crazy this sounds,but we are at a loss to explain it. She's never had problems before and when she comes home it clears up.

28-04-2004
tgp
fashion elite

They have it on sephora.com. It comes in a little can for around $30. I swear by it, esp. the exfoliating acne gel.

I just looked and it is the Acne Complex Starter Kit-$30

28-04-2004
front row

Honestly, what I would do is find a salon or a make up store and ask if they have make up lessons there. I'm taking some make up lessons really soon at a salon or a make up store(which ever one is easier/better for me). Its easier that way.

29-04-2004
fashion insider

for minimum makeup, try tinted moisturizer, or a light powder foundation over illuminating primer --- this is what I do and I don't use liquid foundation.
I use a liquid concealer which is rather creamy, the runny ones tend to be too sheer and dry for my undereye while the cream ones are not easy enough for me to blend, and also crease.
anyway, it always depends on your own skin condition. my problem is my dark circles so I need a nice undereye concealer with decent coverage, other than that, my skin is absolutely fine with no need of coverage from liquid foundations.

02-05-2004
backstage pass

books you should get:

Bobby Brown Beauty and Kevyn Aucoin Making Faces...these are great books. Bobby Brown rights in an accessible way and understands the everyday woman. Aucoin was such a great spirit and it shows in his book. He offers great tips for everyday and also amazing tips for dramatically changing your look.

Check these books out! you can get them really cheap on amazon.com used section if you are concerned about buying makeup books that you wont use often

Don't blame me: I'm From Massachusetts

At least It Ain't Bush '08
02-05-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by sugarpea@May 2nd, 2004 - 7:44 pm
Bobby Brown rights in an accessible way and understands the everyday woman.
please excuse my grammatical mistake (rights instead of writes) ugh...thats bad

Don't blame me: I'm From Massachusetts

At least It Ain't Bush '08
09-05-2004
windowshopping

I have very fair skin (almost completely white), blue eyes and blonde hair (I recently died it blonde from my original brown). Everytime I put on makeup it looks awful. i like to wear black around my eyes but I don't know how. Can anyone help me?

09-05-2004
elementary.

go for bronzey gold shadows if you want a classic look.
but i think you sound like you could pull off some brighter bolder colors, pinks, greens, purples will all look gorgeous on you.
i would really recommend finding an orange shadow b/c orange shadow makes blue eyes POP!?
if you think black looks too harsh try a smokey grey eye paired with a nude lip. then as you get more confident you can start using black.
i'd just recommend that if you line with black only line the upper lid as if you line all the way round it looks racoonish

hope that helps

backstage pass

I know your situation. I'm so light that they don't have my shade of concealer in the stores and have to get it specially ordered. I have blue eyes as well. My hair is naturally a dirty blonde with red in it but I dye it to a pretty much platinum color.

Might I suggest going to one of the counters in the mall? Its free and they usually do a pretty good job, and you can get some ideas.

In regards to black around your eyes, maybe a dark brown eyeliner and mascara would be better. Regarding other things, it all depends on the undertones of your skin. If they're more brown, go for light pinks, greens, and blues. Nothing too bright or you'll look too harsh and it'll bring out any imperfections in your skin. If you have pink undertones, go for the bronzey shadows they mentioned below and maybe a gold/brown lipstick (I recommend Wet Shine).

If you could post a picture of yourself we could better tell what type of undertones you have, etc.

09-05-2004
backstage pass

Or is the problem in your make-up application?

For that I just recommend practice, practice, practice!

One tip I have for eyeliner is to go as close to the eye as you can but with a thick line. I then put contact solution on a q-tip and go back and fix any errors. The contact solution is sensitive so it won't hurt your eyes and it does a great job taking off the eyeliner.

10-05-2004
front row

You sound like you have a similar complexion as I do. What I recommend is using dark grey pencil around eyes instead of black, I like clinique almost black. I use bronzing powder, mostly on the cheeks but also a little bit on the rest of my face. Blush can make very light skin look too made up, like a doll or an 18th century lady. But if you really want to use blush instead of sunpowder I would recommend something with a slight purpleish undertone. I use a lot of thickening mascara to bring out my eyes. If you want to use foundation I would try to use something that catches a lot of light, I think that's especially important on lighter skintones.

Hope that helps

10-05-2004
windowshopping

Thank you so much for all the helpfull advice. I will definitely try bronzing powder instead of blush, which really does make me look like a doll!! The grey on my eyes also seems like a great idea. Thanks!

10-05-2004
windowshopping

oh and here's a picture of me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mat.JPG (43.1 KB, 34 views)

10-05-2004
elementary.

Quote:
Originally posted by lancelot@May 10th, 2004 - 1:50 pm
oh and here's a picture of me...
awww. you're pretty.
you look like you have good skin so just a bit of tinted moisturiser should be good.
& for blush try peachy pink tones. maybe some bronzey/gold tones in summer
eye i think you can get away with most colors. you aren't pale at all!
i think you would look gorgeous with a bronzey smokey eye. with a nude lip.
maybe try & stay away from sage greens//mossy greens. they might make you look sallow.
purples would look gorgeous too. try lilacs. MAC's parfait amour is fab. & aubergines MAC's beauty marked // nocturnelle.
it's hard to say exactly what would look good & what wouldn't. the best way is to just experiment loads. try out all your existing makeup, put looks together that you don't usually 'do' & that way you'll def. some up with some new looks.
once you've gone through all your collection you can figure out what you need.

front row

You are very pretty lancelot

I think Chanel's advice is solid! Just experiment and take your time doing your make-up a few times and you'll be off.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makeup, thread, tips