How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-09-2003
front row

Make up on men is fine just as long as it is gender appropriate. Make up such as bronzers, khol pencil in black (to accentuate eyes for a sexy smoldering look*johnny depp*) concealor for blemishes or imperfections(no powder)is fine. But nothing is worse than passing the MAC counter in a local Macys seeing the beauty advisors guys wearing rasberry gloss, cheeks flushed in pink and shimmery eyeshadow!! It is distasteful and unappropriate.

25-09-2003
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by TrailerCouture@Sep 25th, 2003 - 9:19 pm
But nothing is worse than passing the MAC counter in a local Macys seeing the beauty advisors guys wearing rasberry gloss, cheeks flushed in pink and shimmery eyeshadow!! It is distasteful and unappropriate.
I agree!

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by TrailerCouture@Sep 25th, 2003 - 9:19 pm
Make up on men is fine just as long as it is gender appropriate. Make up such as bronzers, khol pencil in black (to accentuate eyes for a sexy smoldering look*johnny depp*) concealor for blemishes or imperfections(no powder)is fine. But nothing is worse than passing the MAC counter in a local Macys seeing the beauty advisors guys wearing rasberry gloss, cheeks flushed in pink and shimmery eyeshadow!! It is distasteful and unappropriate.
OK, look not to be THAT rude or anything, but who are you to criticize guys for wearing maleup? Im gay yes, so im biased, and I personally don't find men that wear blush and lip gloss attractive, but its not unappropriate. What's the difference between this and a woman wishing to do a typical "man" thing (job, ownership of something, etc.)?

Nothing.

All you (not necessarially you personally) are doing is being hypocritical and causing even more barriers in social equality. If you want females to be equal, maybe you shoudn't descriminate yourself.

What it all comes down to is this is a horribly pathetic double standard, and really none of your business what other people wear.

11-12-2003
& b

Sofia *ribes*, got me the JPG lipbalm, and I simply adore it. I wear makeup, in huge loads, if you are good at it, it will look totally natural. In my photos, im wearing everything, of course, the photographer wanted something more androginous for the first photo with the hat, so, I added extra liner and skintone eyeshadow. Im not against men wearing makeup in every sense, but again, there is a thin line between looking natural or making a fool of yourself looking like Bozo

Stitch:the Hand

Again,like the skirt debate,this is yet another centuries old custom many people may not realize. Its actually done very simple-just a pale powdered foundation that gave a sense of drama especially combined with the long vestments and tunics adorned sometimes with ribbons and lace and sometimes in satin fabrics. Personally,its not something I would try out myself(as I already am pale in the face enough and skirts are as far as I will go)but I see no harm nor any rules that its merely just for women.

Btw,doesn't Smashbox have a special make-up line for men?

11-12-2003
yes

this is another good example of double standards......

why are men expected to pay the bills?

12-12-2003
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by AlmostFamous@Aug 15th, 2003 - 9:05 pm
I'm all for guys using make up. Girls can cover up their imperfections, guys should have that luxury as well. Guys that wear eyeliner are... SEXAY!
Frankly, I don't think eyeliner could ever look natural. And I don't *care* what gender you are. I'm applying this statement to boys and girls alike.

Of course, I acknowlege the possibility that my statement about it never-looking-natural could be in-error.

12-12-2003
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by lele@Sep 16th, 2003 - 8:04 pm
... just like as a woman i enjoy sweating, tennis shoes, getting dirty, sports but you wont find me scratching my crotch or shaving my face (not that there is ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT) and NOT THAT EVERY MAN DOES THAT.....you know what though as I was writhing this thinking of “MALE” things to do it was sort of hard for me….
Frankly, your analogy of scratching your crotch or shaving your face I don't believe are applicable to whether or not men wear makeup, as there is a fundamental difference. What difference? Simple: the male things that you describe yourself as staying-away from are not things that were determined to be "masculine" by some abstract rule. Rather, they are things that are determinedly male for anatomical reasons.

Wearing makeup on the other hand is only considered gender-specific because of some rule someone made, and is therefore like sweating and wearing tennis shoes, and is *not* like scratching your crotch or shaving your face.

Your analogy of scratching your crotch or shaving your face would be applicable if we were talking about something that's considered gender-specific for identifiable anatomical reasons: such-as whether or not it is appropriate for a man to wear a bra.

In determining what is a double-standard and what isn't, it's important to keep remember what gender-specific rules are for identifiable anatomical reasons and which ones are not.

13-12-2003
etre soi-meme

here a very cool example of men's make up and extracts to match the picture from NYT Magazine :

Quote:
....the arrival of Jean Paul Gaultier's Tout Beau seems a cultural inevitability. Tout Beau is the first line of makeup specifically aimed at men. According to a Gaultier press release, the Tout Beau line -- including a powder bronzer, a concealer and kohl liner for eyes and lip balm in three shades: natural, fair skin and tawny -- is a ''bold, virile line of revolutionary tools'' designed to ''enhance masculinity'' and ''offer each and every man the right to be naturally handsome.''

Gaultier has proclaimed that 90 percent of the sales of his men's makeup in France have been to straight men. And since Tout Beau was introduced in the United States last month, sales have been brisk -- Macy's moved $13,000 worth of men's makeup in the week after its debut. Fashion-world observers say they're not surprised that regular guys would be reaching for the mascara. ''With people living longer and longer,'' says Pete Born, vice president of Women's Wear Daily, ''they are expected to remain productive for a lot longer. All of a sudden, appearance is an integral part of one's ability to make money.'' Who knows? By this time next year, perhaps the innocuous corporate badinage of men across the country will have morphed from ''Hot enough for you?'' and ''Don't work too hard'' to ''Dude, where's my concealer?''

for the full article try thislink

13-12-2003
V.I.P.

Sorry, I think it looks

etre soi-meme

its so discreet, it's not even obvious
but yes, why not, people are entitled not to like this my dear tea

13-12-2003

He really doesn't look that different to me. Just a bit darker round the eyes...

13-12-2003

What's the difference in doing this than a man wearing self-tanning products and bronzers? Some seem not to mind that so why is this sickening?

14-12-2003
V.I.P.

To me, he simply looks more unattactive in the photo with make-up than without.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally posted by Voodoo Doll+Aug 29th, 2003 - 8:14 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Voodoo Doll @ Aug 29th, 2003 - 8:14 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-BabyAnimal@Jul 22nd, 2003 - 11:36 pm
If you are my beloved gay boys, it's fine with me.
You look gorgeous and why not?

But it's the whole other different story when it comes to straight men,imo.
I would NOT go out or fall for any straight man who wears makeup.
Men have to be somewhat rugged and nonchallant about their appearances, which I find more appealing than plain "trying too hard" attitude.

Moisturizers and after-shave creams are ok though.
well said, i second you.

straight guys? makeup?
can you see your man walking up to you saying "do I look okay? is my blusher too pink? how's my powder looking? i just bought the new christian dior matt finish foundation, the silicon makes it sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide & gliiiide smoothly on my skin!

[/b][/quote]
so agree!
anyway, if some guys just love to have makeup on and love the feeling and result, sure, go for it, and I wouldn't say anything as long as my guy is totally makeup-free.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makeup, men