How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-03-2011
front row

When I want light coverage, I use Boots No 7 Tinted Moisturizer with a setting powder. Works pretty good for me, although my oily skin tends to eventually make my matte look dewy. I think I am going to try the aura Mercier Tinter Moisturizer when this runs out. I heard excellent reviews.

And a cheap primer fix is Monistat Chafing Gel lol. I know it sounds hilarious but it's pretty reputable for being a good, efficient, and inexpensive primer. I just cant fathom how someone figured that out..... Google it for more info on it.

01-03-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair View Post
i swear by smashbox photo finish light...
it's oil free and doesn't clog my pores and gives a smooth finish for my foundation...

my go-to drugstore foundation is maybelline dream mousse in caramel...
and i'm still loving chanel mat lumiere...
Which shade are you in the mat lumiere?
Posted via Mobile Device

01-03-2011
Aby
V.I.P.

Marni: Maybe keeping the foundation or tinted cream in the freezer would prevent its deterioration... Just a thought.

Kimair : you make me want to try that primer!

tailored

marchessa, i wear chestnut...

tailored

Quote:
Amy Sall, NY Editor, Lurve Magazine
“I’m growing my hair out right now so I keep it in a little bun. I wash it every week at the hair salon. African American hair, it’s a process—you have to wash it once a week; if I washed it every day, it would fall out! So I go every week and get it washed, conditioned, and blown out. I go to a salon in the Bronx called Doris*—my hairdresser’s Doris—she is amazing. She’s been recommended to me by a ton of people. She assesses the situation and treats it from there. I get it relaxed every two to three months, otherwise it’s super curly. It’s not easy to manage when it’s curly! [Laughs] Anyway, it’s around $80 a week, but it’s worth it. I usually go to Ricky’s for hair products; I like this line called Mizani—it’s super moisturizing.

For my face, I use Kiehl’s Foaming Non-Detergent Washable Cleanser; it’s really simple and wonderful. And then I use their Pineapple Papaya Facial Scrub—it’s really gentle but you still feel the exfoliation happening. Right now, I’m using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion SPF 15. My face tends to get oily so I keep my moisturizer pretty light. And I know it sounds clichť but I do drink a ton of water. It’s a chore, for sure, but I’m always like, ‘This has to work.’

I’d always been afraid of experimenting with color because I have very dark skin, so it took me a while to get comfortable with adding a splash of color here and there. Now I’ll throw on a berry lipstick—I’ve learned that deep plum colors work well with my complexion. Like what I’m wearing right now—this is ‘Confession’ by Urban Decay. Normally I wear mascara, by Sephora or Givenchy. If something unexpected shows up on my face, I’ll use a little Makeup Forever concealer.”

*Doris Salon, 4641 White Plains Road, Bronx NY, 347-843-7407
intothegloss.com

Last edited by kimair; 02-03-2011 at 10:39 PM.
02-03-2011
Aby
V.I.P.

^she's gorgeous!

front row

Current look right now--trying to change it up a bit so I started doing the winged eye look. This was my first time so I'm going to keep on trying until it's PERFECT

I used some a cheap Drug Store eyeliner, can't remember which. Didn't like it though. It kept smudging and fading. Going to take a trip to CCS to see if they have Fluidline Blacktrack.

Currently:
Foundation: Studio Sculpt SPF15 NC44
Concealer: NW35
Blush: MAC raizin (it's way too dark for me; MAC Eversun (my favorite blush & wearing in picture).
Mascara: Maybelline Colossal.
Eyebrows: some cheap brown eyeshadow
Lipstick: Nyx B52, MAC Creme Cerise (discontinued...)

Nyx B52 is close to perfect, but not perfect enough. On an endless search for the perfect lipstick!

Last edited by oceanhue; 25-04-2011 at 03:53 PM.
25-04-2011
backstage pass

^your makeup is beautiful! it doesnt even look like you are wearing foundation at all. thanks for posting

front row

^^

I have really dry skin so I moisturize with shea butter underneath. Studio sculpt is for dry skin anyway, since there are a lot of oils in it. I definitely do not recommend it for oily skin.

02-05-2011
Aby
V.I.P.

Oceanhue: You're beautiful! Great makeup, very natural I like it.

Tags
african, black, dark, makeup, skin, tips