How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-10-2006
tfs star

Does anyone have lipgloss/lipstick recommendations (esp. Nars) for a nude lip? Please oh please oh please.

12-11-2006
windowshopping

I'm in love with Bobbi Brown foundations I've been searchin for years but no other brands had the rich color that many black women have other foundations that were close to my skin color always made my skin look dull
Black Opal has pretty good foundations for a decent price if your not willing to spend too much

14-11-2006
trendsetter

lorac has some really good shades for nude lips for darker complexions.

19-11-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx
Great thread! I am (or was as I also no longer use MAC foundations) an NC44

I love

- NARS blush in Outlaw
- NARS lipgloss in Sandpiper
- NARS eyeshadow in Night Clubbing
- MAC lipstick in Sharp Beige
- MAC Mineralized Skinfinishes in Shooting Star & Gold Deposit
- Laura Mercier Secret Brightener
- Laura Mercier Lipstick in Pink Champagne
- Shu Uemura Eyeshadows, all the colors of the rainbow!
- Shu Uemura Eye Jelly in White
- Cargo Lipgloss in Soho
- Cargo Eyeshadows in Mojave & Aegean
- Armani Fluid Sheers

The best info on makeup I have ever gotten comes from Kevyn Aucion's makeup books Making Faces & Face Forward. They are my holy grails for information and I think they provide ideas and inspiration to people of all ethnicities.

I also like to watch and see what makeup beautiful stars like Kerry Washington and Thandie Newton are wearing
great info!!!! Does that Secret Brightener from Laura Mercier work well? Does it get rid of the dark spots/circles/and or other discolorations or is it more of a concealer? i'm looking for something that will rid my face of these little tiny discolorations around my face...and give me a more even tone without putting on concealer or foundation.

23-11-2006
trendsetter

Big Bare Escentuals fans here. The foundation I use is DEEP and I also use the TINTED mineral veil - the regular one that comes in the kit will not work for brown skin, least it hasn't worked for me nor my sister.

Arbonne creme stick foundation in N14 is great too, but I prefer powder, so I don't use it often.

29-11-2006
tfs star

Get this look for dark skin?
I wasn't sure whether to post this in the "get this look" thread or in this one, but people viewing a thread about dark skin would probably be more capable of assisting.

Can anyone offer suggestions for achieving these looks?

source: bellanaija.blogspot.com

source: cutie central

source: elite

14-06-2007
tfs star

In addition to looking for the perfect red for a MAC NW45, I would also like to find a perfect nude color and my nude I mean a matte color that matches my skin tone exactly. Do you ladies have any recs? Last time I asked at the MAC counter, the fellow that helped me suggested 'Photo" which wasn't what I wanted. Usually, I resort to using my liquid foundation with a touch of gloss over it but that is really drying on my lips.

14-06-2007
tfs star

Forgot the add, there is an Olay Regenerist ad out now with a black model. I think the ad is for the eye serum pads. Anyway, that model is wearing a beautiful lip color, anyone have an idea of what it might be?

19-06-2007
trendsetter

I find Lorac comes out with a lot of good colours for my skin tone in general. I especially like their Sheer Berry gloss stick - it's just a really nice rosy sheer colour.

The best nude lip gloss I've found for my skin tone is Make Up For Ever Professional Super Lip Gloss in No. 15. It's very sticky though - but lasts a very long time.

19-06-2007
trendsetter

here's the link for the super lip gloss. you can find it at sephora as well

http://www.makeupforever.com/catalog...p/22-4/30.html

19-06-2007
tfs star

I hate sticky gloss. Bourjois just came out with a nice gloss that feels like water on your lips called Eau de Gloss. Unfortunately there are only 6 tints which, aside from the clear, don't look like they would flatter my skin. I'm not sure if it is available in the US yet.

Have any of you had luck with mineral makeup?

22-06-2007
tfs star

Quote:
The Big Cover-Up
Why women of color can't find good cosmetics
by Corina Zappia
May 26th, 2006 12:46 PM

Here's a question: It's 2006. Queen Latifah shills for Cover Girl; Halle Berry, for Revlon. But has the cosmetics industry really come to recognize women of color as a target audience? Somehow, it's hard to erase the high school memory of my East Asian and South Indian friends diving for one of those this-fits-all-brownies lipstick shades—Revlon's Toast of New York, anyone?—as though it were manna in the drugstore desert. But in an business where technological "breakthroughs" in blush and liquid foundation seem to occur every five minutes, perhaps progress has been made since then. How ‘bout that IMAN cosmetics line, sold at Sephora for a while? Or the thriving cosmetics company Prescriptives: "Designed for all skins, all women"?

Curious for an expert opinion, we look to celebrity makeup artist Sam Fine, Cover Girl's and Revlon's first African American spokesperson, who counts Naomi Campbell, Halle Berry, and Oprah Winfrey among his clients; and AJ Crimson, makeup artist for music artists Christina Milian and Amerie.

Voice: Are cosmetics companies getting anywhere with developing makeup for women of color?
Fine: I believe the industry hasn't begun to tap into the vast cosmetic opportunities. Many brands have added a model of color to represent the brand, but have failed to create colors, formulas, or marketing initiatives that are targeted at these women. Additionally, when you review the offerings in the department-store arena, there are very few companies that speak directly to the needs of women of color. Excluding Fashion Fair, there are no brands that are exclusively dedicated to their cosmetic needs.

Voice: What products—foundation, shadow, lipstick—are lacking?
Crimson: The problem is not with color cosmetics, it's with foundation. MAC as a whole markets for all sexes, all ages, all races. But when you get into certain darker skin tones within Studio Fix [a line of MAC foundation], they tend to come up green or change colors. With black women, even some Indian women, they're coming up ashy, the wrong skin tone, mask-like.

Fine: Many companies are attempting to add darker shades of foundation/powder, yet you can't simply "darken" an existing shade, expecting it to contain the correct undertone. Another common mistake is formula. Because women of color scar more easily, they crave products that possess greater coverage—fundamental formula differences that aren't found in core cosmetic development.

Most companies fall short in all areas. Having worked for virtually every major cosmetic brand, I've realized that satisfying the cosmetic needs of women of color is not a priority.

Voice: Why has it taken the industry so long to respond?
Fine: Many companies have attempted to meet the cosmetic needs of women of color, although very few have made an effort to invest long-term.

Crimson: Maybe they just didn't feel like it was that important, but now they're finding that it is, especially considering how much women of color spend per year in luxury goods. These women are taking more powerful roles in the workplace, and as they move up in their careers, they want a quality brand.

Voice: Are there any products you recommend?
Fine: I favor brands that were created to satisfy the needs of women of color, not brands that speak to women of color as an afterthought. Those brands possess a rich heritage and continue to thrive in mass: Black Opal, Posner, Black Radiance. In addition, there are mainstream lines that have increased their offerings and provide select products for women of color: Bobbi Brown, Prescriptives, and MAC.

Crimson: A brand I stand by is Makeup For Ever; I can use their liquid foundations on a client like Fergie, to Christina Milian, to Amerie. IMAN is a really great product—it's been the closet to achieving skin tones for women of color specifically. But it's not a prestige brand, so I have to search for it. It's not even in Sephora anymore. Why is a product like that not in Bloomingdales?

Voice: Do women have it better now than, say, 10 years ago?
Crimson: You have a product called Fashion Fair—it's been around forever, since my mother was a little girl. That was one of the first products for women of color, and they still sell it today. But there's a stigma attached to it. It's a little red, a little orange.

I'm big on packaging and the perception of the product. When I look at Fashion Fair, I'm upset by it. The style in which they promote it—it's a little dated. It's a product that's been servicing black women for years. But why is it that when it comes to selling a product to a black woman or another woman of color, there is not the same quality in marketing or presentation? The marketing would never look as unappealing if Chanel did it. They want us to buy it, but they don't have the same respect. If there's a company that would give it the same flare, it would do amazingly well. Hands down, more women would flock to that. It would step the game up.

It's one of those things, that when you've been offered this dirty glass of water for years, you're like, "Oh this is the best I can get." Then when you're introduced to a fresh glass of water, you're like, "I've been drinking that dirty water all this time?"
source: http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/...,73353,15.html

22-06-2007
tfs star

I agree that FF needs some serious revamping. Everything about that line screams "Granny in an Easter hat!"

23-06-2007
tfs star

Quote:
I Like Her Style!: Tia Williams

I had the pleasure of interviewing beauty expert-turned-author and fellow Glam.com winner, Tia Williams this week. The former Beauty Director of Teen People has also worked at prestigious fashion magazines such as Glamour, Elle, YM and Lucky. She currently writes the must-read beauty blog "Shake Your Beauty". With all that experience under her belt it was only right and proper that she share her superior beauty wisdom with us mere mortals. We are not worthy…

What is the number one beauty mistake black women make?
Ashy foundation! It’s so important to choose a foundation or concealer that’s yellow-based—it’s the most natural shade on brown skin.

What is the best beauty advice you can give black women?
If you’re stumped when picking out a lipstick or gloss, stick to sheer bronzes, coppers, and gold-flecked neutrals. You can’t go wrong with a soft wash of metallic shimmer on your lips.

What are your top five beauty products right now?
Narciso for Her perfume, Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler, Revlon Superlustrous Lipstick in Raisin Glaze, Nars Blush in Taos, Creative Nail Design Nail Polish in Passionfruit Poppy. (See stockists below).

How would you describe your personal style?
I’m a mix of classic and bohemian. Basically, my uniform is a flowy top, gold flats, and skinny jeans (or a mini in the summer). Not groundbreaking, but it works when you spice things up with a great bag or fabulous earrings!
Source: I Like Her Style Blog & http://www.tiawilliams.net/blog/

23-06-2007
tfs star

^^^ She looks amazing in that photo.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
african, black, dark, makeup, skin, tips