How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-06-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresMyUmbrella View Post
Have any of you tried the new MAC Mineralize powder foundation? I saw it on their website, and I was impressed with the range of darker tones. How does it hold up? Does it look ashy? And how do the colors compare to the rest of the line? Is "deeper dark" NW40-ish?
I tried this in the store the other day and was not impressed. It looked dry and cakey when she applied it to my face in the store. But my skin does not do well with powder foundations. I couldn't wear Studio Fix either which is very popular. If your skin is oily you will probably like it. I prefer the Mineralize Skinfinish Natural over the Powder Foundation. It's more sheer.

ETA: I wear Deep Dark and I'm an NW45. HTH...

24-06-2008
rising star

I really want to try the Armani LSF! I love my MAC, but I'm always on the look out for something better.

This sounds lovely!

25-06-2008
Aby
V.I.P.

^you should try it Chanel Ivan.

Since I got Armani's LSF, I'm addicted to it and I'm not used to put makeup daily but I love the texture and nice colour.

I've just switched to Bobbi Brown tinted mosturizer now that it's so hot but otherwise I'm really happy with this foundation and it's so hard to find one that truly suits our skin tones and it's worth the expense.

Last edited by Aby; 25-06-2008 at 04:17 AM.
26-06-2008
fashion insider

Im wondering about the brand of foundation you guys use.

It seems that alot of BW love Mac but IMO its not as good.

Ive heard some really good things about BB and Becca

28-06-2008
backstage pass

wow this thread just saved my life.
i have been struggling to find the right foundation!
right now i am using mac- NC44, but im not happy with it. it doesnt seem to have the right undertone. its like, too red. my face looks completely different from my neck! its awful. i believe i have a yellow or olive undertone? (not sure.) my skin is the same color as the girl in my icon. i have combination skin, i also am also EXTREMEMLY acne prone and am battling scars and breakouts daily unfortunately.
so this thread has helped, now i have a better idea of where to look. i think i might try laura mercier or bobby brown. anyone know what shades i should be looking for?
also, what is the price range for these brands?
sorry, but paying $30 for foundation is already a stretch for me so anything cheaper would be marvelous.

thanks ladies

29-06-2008
Aby
V.I.P.

All those brands: BB, Mercier are pricey. I don't know about US price tags but here their products are all over 30 €.

I always liked Gemey Maybelline liquid foundations in the cheaper range. I used Wonder Finish but the brand discontinued my tint (true cocoa).
I never suffered from breakouts using it.

I would also recommend Makeup for Ever but it's more expensive though I can't remember the price range.

I never liked L'oreal and couldn't find a color suited for my complexion anyway.

29-06-2008
tfs star

It's been awhile since I bought BB foundation but I think it was around $35 or 38 USD last time I bought some.

29-06-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
i have been struggling to find the right foundation!
right now i am using mac- NC44, but im not happy with it. it doesnt seem to have the right undertone. its like, too red. my face looks completely different from my neck! ...
Mine is the opposite problem ... I have russet skin ,and shades that are even slightly golden make me look like a zombie. I can usually find reddish foundations, but concealer is impossible! Do brown concealers that aren't warm-toned even exist?

29-06-2008
tfs star

I bought a Kimora Lee Simmons concealer at Sephora awhile back that is way too red for me. If you want it PM me and I'll mail it to you for free. I only used it once and it's a stick so it would be easy to sanitize.

29-06-2008
backstage pass

im on the laura mercier website and im trying to figure out which would be best for me: the oil free foundation (liquid), the stick foundation, or the powder foundation.
so far i think the powder foundation looks best bc you can wet the sponge and it gives even more coverage. it's also oil free. plus i live in a VERY hot/humid climate and liquid foundation might get sweaty and gross. and of course ive got acne prone skin.
so what do you think should i go w/ the powder foundation?

jeez, $42, this stuff better work miracles..

30-06-2008
tfs star

No one in your area carries it? I think buying foundation without testing it first is too risky, unless it's a cheap drugstore brand.

30-06-2008
backstage pass

oh im gonna go check it out at sephora!
but i wanted to see what you guys thought would go with my skin type and all

08-07-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish View Post
I have been struggling to find the right foundation!
right now i am using mac- NC44, but Imo not happy with it. it doesn't seem to have the right undertone. its like, too red. my face looks completely different from my neck! its awful. i believe i have a yellow or olive undertone? (not sure.) my skin is the same color as the girl in my icon. i have combination skin, i also am also EXTREMELY acne prone and am battling scars and breakouts daily unfortunately.
So this thread has helped, now I have a better idea of where to look. I think I might try laura mercier or bobby brown. Anyone know what shades I should be looking for?
Also, what is the price range for these brands?
Sorry, but paying $30 for foundation is already a stretch for me so anything cheaper would be marvelous.

thanks ladies
I use toffee bronze, but when you go to the counter the sales/makeup artist
Should try it on you and you can decide what works for you.
Look at it in different lighting and you'll figure out if it works or not.
I love laura m, And I plan on using this for a while

As far as your acne, I suffer with the same problem but I get extractions every 2 weeks to a month until my skin gets better per my Derm's recs.
I also switched my skin care regime to mostly Clarins products and It really helps. I was a little skeptical at first but the products have helped my skin a great deal. Me esthetician comments all the time on what great improvement b/cos she knew how it was when I first started. I'm still going, I have an aptt on Thursday.

backstage pass

thanks mizblue
luckily ive gotten hella samples over the past few days,
from make up forever,armani, bobbi brown and laura m
ive worn each for a day except the bobbi brown (thats for tommorrow), and out of those i would def say laura mercier felt the best on my face. make up forever was too cakey(but i was using the matte finish, so maybe that had something to do with it.)
armani was nice and shimmery but the samples didnt match my shade exactly.
laura m oilfree foundation in Suntan beige was a *tiny* bit dark in certain lighting which is annoying, but it felt marvelous, it just glided on so nicely.
so i dunno, ill try the bobbi brown tomm and then make my final decision.
this is seriously a chore.
thank god for samples.

09-07-2008
tfs star

scanned by me from Lucky

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
african, black, dark, makeup, skin, tips