How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-03-2006
Obsessed

thanks!!! i love this thread

31-03-2006
rising star

ooo i love this

fashion icon

Mary Greenwell is my favourite artist!

01-04-2006
V.I.P.

Hanne you're fabulous! Karma for you!

04-05-2006
Storm & Sommer

from www.vogue.co.uk

Trade Secrets

Sharon Dowsett, make-up artist: ''When it comes to beauty looks that last, the old school smoky eyes are always a winner. I pile on plenty of kohl and mascara and to look really healthy I use the Guerlain's duo matt and shine bronzer. Body Shop also do brilliant eye shimmers that act as a highlighter on their own but then give a really good intense colour if you put them over a shade that you already have on. It's like day-to-night make-up. Dust over with Benefit's Get Even powder and add a dash of its gorgeous brightly coloured lip gloss and you're there.''

Val Garland, make-up artist: ''YSL mascara is perfect for any occasion - it creates lovely long eyelashes and it comes in a gorgeous gold canister. I love the Lancome Juicy Tubes too. They look great and taste delicious and you can choose one for every mood. To really glam it up I always go for Dior Addict red lipstick and I love Chanel's Les 4 Ombres sparkly eye colours. My really hot tip for gorgeous skin is an oxygen or lymphatic drainage facial from Edith Williams, at 36 Beauchamp Place. But if you can't afford that, put on an SK2 hydrating mask an hour before you go out. You look like Hannibal Lecter while it's on but it's just brilliant. It's wonderful to get yourself on track for a big date or something the next day.''

Netia Hibbert, make-up artist: ''My make-up wish list includes the Beyond Long by Prescriptives - nothing gives you better lashes.
For foundation go for Color I.D from Lancome - it is a miracle worker if you use a brush to apply it, as fingers can redden the skin and make it look angry. For under the eyes, I'm a huge fan of Clinique's Airbrush Concealer - put it over the eye and onto the browbone so the highlight in it will give you a big bright party eye.
Armani eyeshadows come in beautiful colours and last forever and the best lipgloss is Guerlain's Kiss Gloss.
For blusher, Nars Orgasm works on everyone if applied on the apple of the cheeks.''

For a lesson with Netia on how to look your best, using the best products to suit you, call Hari's salon, 305 Brompton Road, London SW3. 020 7581 5211 - surely the best Christmas idea for the girl who has everything.
www.netiahibbert.com

Mary Greenwell, make-up artist: ''Smother yourself in Oil of Olay's Total Effects body lotion and then spray on the Dior Addict scent. It's so beautiful and really sexy. Eyebrows are very clean cut at the moment, and Chanel can always be relied upon for plenty of stunning colours. I love the berry-coloured stains for the lips. They give any look a glamorous, polished finish. In fact, even on their own they are stunning.''

Miranda Joyce, make-up artist: ''MAC's Strobe Cream is my most essential product. It's excellent for giving a slightly iridescent highlight along the cheekbones. I like experimenting with all the fresh, bright colours available at the moment. It's fun to wear bright blue on the eyes, say, and then a candy pink on the lips. Red lips seem so standard, but then for real old-style glamour you can't really do without it. If you aren't sure about wearing really bright colours, just use a bright green eyeliner, or even a white one, along the inside of the eye, above your eyelashes. It makes you look really fresh and sparkly.''

Jon Mort, Versace's UK make-up artist: ''One of my best tricks is to use a highlighter - traditionally used to define the corner of the eye and just below the brow - very lightly along the edge of the upper lip line. It creates the illusion of a much fuller lip. I also like to use skin illuminators instead of proper blushers, but in the same place - just under the cheekbone. It creates a dewy brightness and defines the facial structure but gives a much more natural finish than artificial bold blusher.''

04-05-2006
Storm & Sommer

from www.vogue.com.au

Expert Advice (Make-up Artist Dotti)

HOW TO APPLY LIPSTICK
The fundamental tools for a luscious pout are a moist base and a lip brush. “Dark colours like rich reds and purples should always be applied with a gorgeous brush to give a better line,” says make-up artist Dotti who offers these lip-enhancing tips:
STAINS
Always ensure lips are moist before you put on a stain. It keeps the stain sheer and the colour even. If lips are dry the stain will catch in the cracks.

GLOSSES
Use your finger for this bleed-free method. Start on the interior and smooth out with your finger so the gloss softens rather than finishing right on the lip line. This is the modern sensual mouth.

REDS
I like to start with Laura Mercier Lip Silk to moisten lips and stop the lipstick from going on dry or cakey. And always use a lip brush for a sharper line.

DARK COLOURS
To give a softer line apply an eyeshadow two shades down from your lip shade on your lips. Use it as a base to avoid hard lines and bleed-out and to give you a velvety finish. And don’t forget to use a lip brush!

LIPSTICK BOO-BOO?
Use a cotton bud to clean up any application faux pas.

1 Revlon LipGlide Color Gloss in Fuchsia Flash, $21.95. 2 Christian Dior Diorific in Flirty Rose, $46. 3 Orlane Rouge Extraordinaire Lipstick No. 30, $37. 4 Chanel Hydrabase Creme Lipstick in Vertigo, $42. 5 Lancôme Juicy Tubes Lip Gloss in Fraise, $39. 6 Chanel Hydrabase Creme Lipstick in Siréne, $42. 7 Estée Lauder Re-Nutriv All Day Lipstick in Orangeade, $39.
8 Maybelline Wet Shine Diamonds in Spoiled in Rubies, $11.95. 9 Estée Lauder Re-Nutriv All Day Lipstick in Grenadine, $39. 10 Chanel Hydrabase Creme Lipstick in Desire, $42.
11 Christian Dior in Movie Rose, $46. 12 Lancôme Juicy Tubes Lip Gloss in Prune, $39.

04-05-2006
fashion icon

Great thread Hanne!!! WOW you are amazing, thanks!!!

Storm & Sommer

from w4.lhj.com
The Most Wanted List

Carol Straley, Ladies' Home Journal Beauty & Fitness Director, talked to the pros and gathered a collection of first-rate beauty tips. Here's what they had to say.

These are the eight great essentials that makeup artists and hairstylists count on at photo shoots and fashion shows. What works for top models can do the trick for you, too.

Corrector-Perfecter

Makeup artists think of YSL Touche eclat ($35), a highlighter/concealer/makeup refresher, as a magic wand. With a quick click, the brush delivers enough product to hide lines, cover dark circles or retouch makeup. "The texture is so creamy it won't cake." --Matthew Sky, NYC-based makeup artist

Word of mouth

"I never leave home without Bobbi Brown's Lip Pencil in Natural ($15.50; Bobbibrown.com). The neutral shade goes with almost any lipstick." --Maria Romano, NYC-based makeup artist

Eyes wide open

"Like most makeup artists, I'm never without a tube of Maybelline Great Lash Mascara ($5.95). It's inexpensive and easy to apply. The formula goes on clump-free and never dries up." --Eve Pearl, makeup artist for "The View"

Pucker up

"Kiehl's Lip Balm #1 [$5; to order, call 800-543-4571] uses natural humectants that make it extra-moisturizing. A little balm helps lipstick go on more smoothly and soothes any chapped areas." --Kat James, NYC-based makeup artist

Tweeze ease

"Mehaz Rubis Swiss Tweeze Slanted Tweezer ($33) grabs every stray hair -- even short ones -- without pinching your skin." For stores, call 888-225-6342. --Robyn Cosio, eyebrow expert in Los Angeles and NYC

A win for skin

Originally formulated to soothe minor skin irritations, Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Skin Protectant ($14) leads many lives. "After applying makeup, I like to use a tiny dab to highlight lips, eyelids and cheekbones." --Tina Davis, NYC-based makeup artist

Shine control

"My clients love Shiseido Puff For Face Powder ($9.50) so I order it in bulk. The velvety-plush texture of the puff blots shine without adding too much powder." --Troy Jensen, Los Angeles-based makeup artist

The mane thing

"The Mason-Pearson Junior Hair Brush ($70) is fabulous because it lasts forever. [To order, call 800-645-6503; in New York State, call 516-599-1776.] It is particularly wonderful for back-brushing [teasing] the crown, brushing out teased hair or blow-drying hair smooth. The special combination of nylon and natural bristles eliminates static." --Ward, editorial stylist for Bumble and bumble Salon, NYC

05-05-2006
Storm & Sommer

from www.makeupmania.com

Extract from interview with Make Up Artist Gregory Arlt

Give your best beauty tips:
Less is more and you are out the door! Most people feel they have to pay attention to every square inch of their face. Often you should play up a feature you feel is your best. Don't be afraid to take chances! Most people are afraid to change their makeup because they feel their face is how others perceive them. I think people are nervous to go that extra step whether it is changing a color or texture. The minute you say "frost" people think your taking them back to Studio 54 in 1970. There are so many things you can do now.

Give a "hands on" beauty tip we can do at home:
Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! That's all I have to say. Moisturize to the tenth power! So many people don't do that. Putting foundation on skin not moisturized is like spilling water in the Sahara. Your makeup is only going to look as good as your skin. Take care of your skin ladies, and don't ignore those eyebrows! You want more eyelid space? Get out those tweezers for an instant eyelift.

Extract from interview with Make Up Artist Marietta Carter-Narcisse

What might we find in your makeup kit if we looked inside?
Castor oil. This is my favorite thing. I use it under the eye areas and in dry flaky areas. Beard cover in the orange color family, those are the best concealors. La Femme gold leaf powder, gold shine from light to dark. One of my favorites is Alex de Markopff's Eye Disguise. It keeps eye shadow on till you cut your eyes out. My motto is whatever works, whether it's dime store or department store. I am no product lover. Stock your kits with warm and cool and find those neutrals.

Give us a trick of the trade beauty tip.
Gold. That's what I use on everyone in different intensities.

08-05-2006
front row

Thanks Hanne! This thread is sweet!! I love how there are a variety of techniques being used by the pros.

14-05-2006
trendsetter

anybody knows how to make makeup last longer??? (overall, face, eyes, cheeks,.) i really want my makeup to last all night long at prom!!!! especially foundationnnn>>

15-05-2006
The mod squad

^¨By using a primer, you can take a look at the following link :

http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...19#post1834419

trendsetter

^thaks!!!!

how about spraying hair spray on your entire face just after you've finished applying all your makeup? a friend did that and it appeared to work especially in the eyes.. but is it bad?

19-05-2006
The mod squad

^ Yes extremely bad!!
Please do not do that. Hairspray contains many harsh chemicals and it is
in no way recommended to be used on your face. Try the primer it will
work

trendsetter

LOL! just what i thought.. thanks!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artists, makeup, pros, tips