How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-01-2006
windowshopping

Mineral Makeup
Hi everybody!! I'm thinking of buying some mineral makeup but am caught between which brand to buy. sheercover and bare essentuals seem to be the big two, but people seem split on which is better. also, when i search on ebay i see that there are other brands that offer TONS more powder for a fraction of the price. but are they just crap??

thnx a lot for your replies, i love this forum!!

Last edited by Hipkitten; 02-01-2006 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Please don't link to ebay

02-01-2006
Diamond

We have a lot of Bare Minerals fans on tfS: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ying-8617.html

However, let's keep this thread for discussing other "mineral" brands besides BE

~Madeleine Albright
02-01-2006
Diamond

Does anyone have experience with Jane Iredale mineral make up? My aesthetician uses/sells this and I was wondering if it was any good

http://www.janeiredale.com/index.html

~Madeleine Albright
02-01-2006
Storm & Sommer

I recently bought a liquid mineral foundation by YoungBlood - I'm not all that impressed - it's okay but no HG (their powders look promising tho)

03-02-2006
backstage pass

I finally tried a mineral foundation. It wasn't BE though, but I didn't see another mineral thread so I figured posting here is okay. After reading about a million reviews on makeupalley.com, I settled on J. Lynne cosmetics-- mostly because they offer really cheap generously sizes samples and have about a million shades! Also, it gives a more matte finish than BE, which I like since I am super oily. Anyway, I love it! I think the coverage is a bit sheer for my taste, but I don't think it's any more sheer than BE. Maybe even more coverage, from what I've seen. Anyway, I'd really recommend j lynne to anyone who wants to just try out mineral makeup without shelling out the money for a BE starter kit.

My fave models: Gemma, Sasha, Stammy, Trentini, Vlada <3
01-04-2006
front row

Philosophy "the supernatural" airbrushed canvas is nice. One step basically.

01-04-2006
backstage pass

Oh, if anyone is interested in trying mineral makeup you should really try j.lynne... they give really generous samples for $3 and they have every skin tone imaginable, not just BE's light, medium dark. They have a whole spectrum of cool to warm, light to dark, really handy if you're like me and asian and warm toned, so hard to find foundation. It gives more of a matte finish than BE which is better for oily skin but probably not for those with dry skin. I also found this code, it's for new customers only though so I can't use it, but I don't think there's an expiration and it gives 10% off any order! "RHH26177"

02-04-2006
front row

Has anyone tried the one by Neutrogena?

03-04-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne38
Philosophy "the supernatural" airbrushed canvas is nice. One step basically.
I love the Supernatural! I used to use BE and switched to Supernatural because most of my skincare is with Philosophy. I think the coverage is about the same, but the Philosophy mineral makeup is more natural-looking. BE always left me kind of sparkly, and I didn't like that.

03-04-2006
backstage pass

cardboardboxed, where would you find j lynee foundations? I LOVE Bare Escentuals, but even the lightest shade is too pale for me, and this looks like they might have something better suited for me.

03-04-2006
backstage pass

I thought Bare Escentuals was terrible

I heard that the Neutrogena one is sheer, not too much coverage

03-04-2006
backstage pass

ugh the Neutrogena one is a MESS! It just keeps coming out and ends up looking cakey cause you cant make the powder stop coming out of the brush. Even if it DIDN'T explode, it'd still be pretty crap.

03-04-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Loves Marc
cardboardboxed, where would you find j lynee foundations? I LOVE Bare Escentuals, but even the lightest shade is too pale for me, and this looks like they might have something better suited for me.
It's only online, at jylnnecosmetics.com or something like that

27-04-2006
front row

dont know if this has been mentioned but there's another brand which is quite alike bare minerals. it's called afterglow cosmetics and it's pretty good! they have sample sets you can purchase which works out good since they dont have a store (i think) the main difference betwn afterglow and this is that it's said bare minerals give you more of a sheen whereas afterglow has more of a pure matte finish. so it depends whether you prefer a glowy look or one thats more natural!

27-04-2006
front row

off topic, but has anyone tried neutrogena's mineral sheers powder foundation? it sounds similar

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makeup, mineral