How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-06-2005
front row

Everyones mentioned all mine already.

But if you have any piercings (this works on everything but tounge and other more extreeme piercings) and they get iritated easily even after healing. The thing to do is to mix a cup of distllied water with enough sea salt so that the water is kina murkey looking, then put some a Q-tip and rup it around each end of the piercing and all over the jewelry, also before you put the jewelry in soak it in the salt water first. This helps alot with all the redness and irritation.

Make sure you're using distilled and not filtered water. Because distilled is pure water with no other chemicals or minerals in it, where as filtered does have some minerals in it that can cause irritation.

Oh and whoever suggested the psyllium husks, not a good idea. That stuff is basically metamucil withiut flavoring and it's a laxative.

Last edited by __neversummer; 08-06-2005 at 10:04 PM.

09-06-2005
scenester

the baking soda thing is awsome i did it last night and saw immediate results in the morning

10-06-2005
rising star

I found a neat site, containing a lot of home made recipes you can use yourself. Here it is

10-06-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by contessacolette
few homemade beauty recipes....

egg yolks as deep conditioning treatment. use the FRESHEST eggs the market has, even better if you find a chicken that just popped a few out
Use the ***COOLEST*** water possible. I cannot stress this enough. Don't ask me how I know, but three words: hair foo young

Best ever home beauty thing I've done: brown sugar and lemon in a dry heat sauna.. let it bake on/in, and then go shower later. Incredibly soft, smooth skin. Can also do brown sugar/cream but the lemon has some special, um, zest... for lack of a better word.

Last edited by cbcb; 10-06-2005 at 12:36 AM.
10-06-2005
windowshopping

Could someone tell me what the salt blackhead remedy is?

11-06-2005
backstage pass

the salt thing fro black heads is just damp your nose with water and rub salt on it in circles. It really works but i think someone mentioned not too use it like twice a day becasue ur skin will dry up a bit. but not sure if a dreamt that! lol

11-06-2005
I loved you

Since I heard egg white can help black heads... i tried it.
I cut a peice of paper towel that would fit around my nose (like those nose packs), cracked open an egg and seperated the egg yolk from egg white. Then dipped the cut paper towel in the egg white. I set it on my nose and waited it to dry fully... Peel it off and cha-ching!... it worked pretty well for me.

11-06-2005
backstage pass

good trick breathoxygen i guess i'll try that one day I have time!! thanks

12-06-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathe0xygen
Since I heard egg white can help black heads... i tried it.
I cut a peice of paper towel that would fit around my nose (like those nose packs), cracked open an egg and seperated the egg yolk from egg white. Then dipped the cut paper towel in the egg white. I set it on my nose and waited it to dry fully... Peel it off and cha-ching!... it worked pretty well for me.
I tried this after you wrote it, worked quite well for me too...only the egg white took some time before it went totally dry.

front row

Hmm... a few thoughts on 'office emergency beauty tricks' inspired by the egg white nose strip post ...

Great blotting paper: fresh new toilet seat covers
Less good but, maybe: scotch tape for flakies and 'kind of' as a nose peel
Salt packets from the condiment rack, with water, for blackheads
Sugar packets, with water and time, as a skin softener-tightener (lemon juice packets too, even better)
Air freshener, if adventurous, for feet
Toothpaste (opaque type): great blackhead mask, but minty kind not for sensitive skin
Aspirin tablets and time, for mini-aspirin mask (crushed in water)... clearing, refining
Butter or margarine - for dry hands. Slather on, warm up, rinse thoroughly

Last edited by cbcb; 12-06-2005 at 01:39 PM.
26-06-2005
rising star

Location: Roseville, CA (but you can't take the New Yorker out of my blood!)
Don't Risk Your Tooth Enamel & Yak...
My dentist told me that lemon rubbed directly on teeth can risk enamel damage! Also, he said Arm & Hammer toothpaste is too abrasive.

However, you can try brushing with a paste of A&H Baking soda, a tiny bit of salt and a little peroxide to get your teeth white and clean. I wouldn't recommend doing this too often.

I've used olive oil on my hair--it's supposed to be so wonderful, but it's so hard to wash out, I figure by the time you get it all off, you've stripped your hair of any benefits.

A million years ago, Cybill Shepherd (sp?) said she washes her faces with a cheap, scratchy washcloth--the kind you get from cheap motels. I found this and Dove soap works great. However, I do have whiteheads underneath. I searched the forum but haven't found a cure for this yet. Looking for more solutions...

Also, any suggestions for combatting hair loss due to extreme stress 9that isn't going away soon)? I've bulked up my vitamins, and that seems to help a little--but if I'm too lazy to take 'em one day, a day or two later, my hair's showing the signs. Looking for faster, better solutions. P.S. Due to an injury, I'm unfortunately unable to exercise--I know that helps combat the stress.
Thanks,
Amy

30-06-2005
backstage pass

I have used olive oil on my body as a mosturizer right before bed. It works very well, making your skin smooth and soft while giving it a healthy glow.

Plain yogurt is a good facial mask. Just slather some on your face and leave it on for about 5-10 minutes. Then, wash it off, and your skin clears up a bit and feels a lot smoother and clean.

Eggs are good for your hair. I've used it twice, and it does make the hair very shiny and gives it a nice healthy look.

Also, I mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 2 tablespoons of sugar, and I use it as an exfoliator for my face and body. It works very well, making your body very smooth and leaving a nice glow on your face.

Also, this is kind of weird, but to exfoliate my lips, I use a toothbrush dipped in some water and "brush" my lips. I'm not too sure on this, but it definitely makes my lips look and feel smoother, and it even plumps them up a bit. Also, vaseline is great for the lips. I use it everyday.

01-07-2005
backstage pass

^ i do the toothbrush trick too. however i like to apply a thick layer of vaseline or lip balm on for about 10mins before i dampen my toothbrush and gently exfoliate my lips

i love this at home mask that i whip up when i have strawberries at home

oatmeal
2 large strawberries processed or crushed with fork
1 drop lavender or geranium
1 drop tea tree *optional, only when i'm spotty

a few drops of distilled water to mix all ingredients into paste and apply

keeps for 5 days in chiller, oatmeal soothes and strawberries help exfoliate

15-07-2005
trendsetter

daria werbowy's trick:

does anyone think it works....

-she said that her mother taught her to put lemon juice on a cotton pad, wipe it over your face, and then wash it off. she then said that once it is washed off, refrain from putting anything on your face for a while (like makeup). she swears by it, knocking on wood and saying shes NEVER had a spot. lucky lucky girl.

so your opinions..?

15-07-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyjuice
daria werbowy's trick:

does anyone think it works....

-she said that her mother taught her to put lemon juice on a cotton pad, wipe it over your face, and then wash it off. she then said that once it is washed off, refrain from putting anything on your face for a while (like makeup). she swears by it, knocking on wood and saying shes NEVER had a spot. lucky lucky girl.

so your opinions..?
Reading Vogue, eh?

I did this a few weeks ago, but it stung like hell and dried out my skin something awful.

I didn't take this as a good sign. Or maybe this is supposed to happen? Anyone?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beauty, fixes, home, household, natural, recipes