How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-11-2005
fashion icon

I just tried that salt scrub on my nose and all my blackheads are gone after one wash!! My self-esteem just shot through the roof haha! Thanks so much! This thread rocks!

02-11-2005
fashion icon

Hey guys,

I read somewhere about a facial treatment using live yoghurt and papaya. It's supposed to make your skin really soft and glowy afterwards but I'm yet to try it... I think avocado would be good too, especially the really oily textured ones, if that makes any sense.

Also with lemons, instead of using the juice straight onto the skin, I've tried using the leftover bits (after I've used them in cooking) and just rubbing it straight onto the skin. It's not as strong as the juice and works a treat for me - leaves it smooth, supple and after a few times, spot free!!

02-11-2005
fashion icon

OoH OoH OoH!!!!! Another thing...

Add a few drops of concentrated or 100% lavender oil in warm water, saturate a facial wash cloth and squeeze, then wash your face with it before using any sort of scrub.

The lavender oil is suppose to soften the dead skin cells so that the scrub can remove the dead skin cells easier. It also reduces the appearance of scars.

And 100% tea tree oil is really good for zits. Just drop some onto a Q-tip and dab it onto the pimple. It reduces the redness and the pimple should be gone with 2-3 days.

03-11-2005
urd
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Louise
I couldn't resist trying this and, I have to say, it worked GREAT! My skin felt so soft and silky, and the pores were almost non-existent. It lasted for a few days.

I shared your beauty tip with my girlfriends on my e-mail list. One friend has NINE cats--I suggested she be the guinea pig and try it first, but she volunteered me. Glad I did. Many thanks for the terrific, inexpensive & simple advice.
Amy
that kitty litter stuff souds SO weird, I might have to try it and soon..

03-11-2005
rising star

Location: Roseville, CA (but you can't take the New Yorker out of my blood!)
I know--kitty litter, who'd of "thunk" it! But, I'm telling you, I was amazed and really glad this tip was shared in this thread. Give it a try. I've been trying to convince my friends to give it a whirl, and one finally did after I supplied her with a little jar of the stuff. Sure enough, she loved it and now is a convert.

I bought some scented, really heavy-duty granule litter at Walmart just because that's where I was and even though scented wasn't supposed to be used. This week, I discovered 2 full bags of Johnny Cat (which was the suggested brand) just sitting out in our garage--I'd forgotten we had it. So I'm switching to that.

After a little trial and error, I figured out the perfect way to use the stuff--so it doesn't clog the sink drain. I put a little litter in a strainer and sit it on top of a plastic container with hot water just covering the granules. I then smoosh the stuff around so that it gets strained and falls down into the container. I toss out the granules in the waste basket and use the liquid on my face. I found it works great in clearing up any breakouts--I just apply it and let it sit and reapply during the day (I work at home).
Amy

05-11-2005
front row

Yogurt masks really do work for me. Makes my skin glow for a day or two. But they're so cold coming out of the fridge! I guess I could let it come to room temperature first...

I also like taking a little olive oil (the kind you cook with), warming it up in the microwave, and massaging it into my scalp. I part my hair and work in sections, because the oil will clump your hair together. It works to give your hair some body and shine, and it got rid of some of the dry flakes I get in the Winter. Better results if you also wrap your hair in Saran Wrap for 10 minutes, but I usually skip this part. You'll have to wash your hair once or twice to get the oil out afterwards.

I got that tip from my Indian friend, who has gorgeous, thick shiny hair. They sell little bottles of hair oil in Indian shops, but I find that the olive oil that you cook with works just as well.

06-11-2005
scenester

I mix an egg yolk, honey, and oats in a clean bowl and then exfoliate until no end. It works well.

06-11-2005
V.I.P.

I'm gonna get brave and try that kitty litter facial hopefully this week Can't wait to see how well it works:p

trendsetter

does anyone use baking soda to exfoliate. my friend told me this but i'm kinda scared to try it. any thoughts?

12-11-2005
doldrums

^I'm not sure about the baking soda but I'm trying the kitty litter facial. Today

13-11-2005
front row

Natural Skin Care Products/routines
Share your best finds below

I'm currently interested in Origins, Dr. Hauschka and Aubrey Organics.

I've tried some things byAubrey Organics, but find their vegecol toner was the only thing I really liked. It totally soothes my skin, is alcohol free, evens out my skin tone and is quite inexpensive!

For Dr. Hauschka I'm currently interested in how their quince day cream and toners work for people? As well as all their products, really... I have the morning day cream(i believe thats what it's called) and am not too fond of it at first it seemed nice but it seems way to oily, and i find im getting tiny little cysts all over my face from it

as for origins.. never tried 'em. interested in them though

i find the the whole apple cider vinegar w/ water thing can be a nice toner sometimes, too! i wasn't too fond of the applying lemon juice to my skin though

anyway, feel free to ask questions and share!!!

13-11-2005
front row

hey you guys joined my thread to this one.. but i wasn't particularly interested in household beauty recipes.. more about stores finds :-/

13-11-2005
rising star

A really good toner for oily skin:
steepsage leaves in hot water for about a half an hour then strain the leaves out. Then just put in on your face using a cotton ball.

by the way, the aspirin mask really worked!!! thanks (i can't wait to try the kitty litter mask; sounds so weird!)

14-11-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alouisa
Anybody know a good BODY mask? Something to make my skin supple and moisturized?
Well a whole body mud mask is supposed to be really good because mud has lots and lots of minerals in it but it's so messy that it's easiest to go to a spa to do it. Or what I do (in summer though) at my summer house is on a sunny day I smear mud (from the bottom of the lake) all over my body and let it dry in the sun and then wash it off.

I just tried the milk mask, didn't really make a difference in my opinion, maybe it evened my skin tone a little bit but that might just be in my head...

I'm trying breathe0xygen's "egg white on a piece on paper" trick to get rid of blackheads right now, I'll post later about how it worked for me...

14-11-2005
V.I.P.

I just saw on Access Hollywood, a nightly entertainment show about celebs etc. They had this lady say to drink, lemon slices or cucumber slices in water for nice skin. Then she also said you can rinse your face off with it, since it is like a natural astringent.
I use to boil carrots, and leftover vegetables(not onions!) in shallow water and boil it, then let it cool, not to much, but just so it isn't scorching your skin. Then lean over it with a towel over your head. Be careful it isn't HOT. It will open your pores and then go into a mirror and push all the blackheads out with a q-tip and forefinger. You have to look close.
It's kind of addictive!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beauty, fixes, home, household, natural, recipes