How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2003
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Nude / Pale Lips
After reading quite a few replies to J Lo's LV ad campaign on her nude, or "dead", lips, I'm afraid to go with the look anymore.

When I wear black eyeliner, nude lips seem to be the only way to complete the look. I hate the color of my lips, and a nice toned, toned, toned down pink/beige is what I love to wear, topped with gloss. But I don't want people whispering behind my back!

What's the word on the nude lips look?

19-08-2003
fashion icon

Dear Elle,

to be honest, I HATE the "J.Lo pale lips to bubblegum eyes" look, best seen in her "from the block" video. I think it looks absolutely terrible! Especially on a latin woman like her.
Pale lips make the teeth appear yellowish, look dead and are definately not sexy. Do you know any man who wants to kiss something that looks like mud?
So from me a big no-no to pale coloured lips.

19-08-2003
Meg
inspired contemplation

Personally I think it depends. I think sometimes it's great because it doesn't overpower the eye and your eyes become the focus and a nude lip can look sexy, think Angelina Jolie not J.Lopez. However sometimes a bit of a stronger lip can balance out strong eyes. You might try a softer pink instead of a full on nude if your scared of looking dead or something. Just go with the flow and if you think you look great, believe me, others will too!

19-08-2003
Procrastinator.

There are different kinds of nude lips.

JLo's are so bad because they look like they are covered in foundation...they are literally the same shade as her skin.

If you do a nude lip that lets some of your natural lip color show, through, a nude lip can look alright.

Maybe you could just pair the smoky eyes with clear glossed lips...your lips could have either a glassy shine or a soft sheen depending on what kind of gloss or balm you use.

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
19-08-2003
Vision of Paradise

if i were you elle, i would still do the nude lip, but with a kick. have you ever used a stain? such as 'benetint' there everywhere i think even loreal has one. it will give your lip a bitten look just a stain , then layer with gloss, sexy and low maitance wont over power the liner.

front row

Quote:
Originally posted by HBoogie@Aug 19th, 2003 - 5:12 am
There are different kinds of nude lips.

JLo's are so bad because they look like they are covered in foundation...they are literally the same shade as her skin.

If you do a nude lip that lets some of your natural lip color show, through, a nude lip can look alright.

Maybe you could just pair the smoky eyes with clear glossed lips...your lips could have either a glassy shine or a soft sheen depending on what kind of gloss or balm you use.
My thoughts exactly.

front row

if you think you look good in nude lips, then go for it.
if you think you look so-so in them, then find a different look -- don't make anyone your idol, & don't be scared of applying your lip color differently. If you want to literally use the same foundation u used on your skin as a lip color, tweak the look around by tapping your finer tip in a pinkish lip color & apply it on the center of your lower lip.

pale lip colors make the teeth look yellowish, a bit greyish sometimes -- but you could easily overcome this problem by using the same technique i mentioned above, only this time, apply the pinkish color on both upper & lower lips from inside out -- to find the area you should cover, simply put your index finger inside your mouth & between your lips, all the way, pull out your finger.. what you'll cover with the pinkish color would be where the finger moved against your lips.

& as mehg mentioned, when you've got a lot of makeup going on around the eyes you don't want your lips to overpower them -- personally, i only wear pinkish/reddish lip colors when i've got very little going on around the eyes, just mascara or maybe a hint of nuteral color eyeshadow. With the smoky eyeshadow look, i'd never go for a lip cover with intensified colors, most of the times i go for a clear gloss, other times with nothing at all.

02-09-2003
rising star

for me it's either colorful lips and subtle eyes OR nude lips and dramatic eyes.

02-09-2003
front row

I love the nude lip look. I can't help it!

02-09-2003
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally posted by Lush@Sep 2nd, 2003 - 5:05 pm
for me it's either colorful lips and subtle eyes OR nude lips and dramatic eyes.
same here

front row

not everyone can pull this off...you have to have nice formed or full lips... i.e, jennifer lopez, jessica alba, angelina jolie

it would look horribly wrong if someone w/ thin, THIN lips sported this look.

16-09-2003
rising star

I think it basically depends on the tone you choose... You can go for beige, but you can also go for soft pinks or a pinky beige that can make nude lips as well... It depends on the tone of your skin...
But if your eyes are dramatic, then the lips should be nude, otherwise there's no focal point on the face, and two is a huge mistake most of the time...
I'm all for nudes (I wear little make up) but I love a reddish tone with subtle eys as well. So elegant!

Sofia

25-09-2003
front row

a secret to carrying off a nude lip with out looking dead? is flushed cheeks. A golden bronzer or pretty healthy pink . There alot of nudes on the market to choose from that are appropriate to your skintone. Dark sultry eyes, gilded bronzed cheeks contrasted with a fleshy pouty lip....mmmmmm sexy!! even tho im a red lipstick gal

17-01-2005
windowshopping

I love the nude pinky-beige lips look and I always get told I have perfect lips so I would love to try it, any suggestions of brands and shades?

18-01-2005
front row

What is your complexion? I"m extemely white with pink undertones and I've always been able to carry off a black eyeliner with a pinky nude lip. (try revlon lustregloss in nude shimmer)

Em

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lips, nude, pale