How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-02-2010
fashion elite

^looks perfect (although you have great skin to start with!)

Mindbear, have you tried wearing a primer first? you could also try applying it with a slightly damp brush.

I bought a pure white foundation by Stargazer (!!) yesterday to mix with Max Factors Second Skin (this foundation is AMAZING by the way just a bit to dark on me unfortunately.) I wasn't sure it would work because of the different consistencies and the fact that, well, its Stargazer but I'm really pleased how it turned out. The Stargazer foundation is kind of thick and gloopy so I thinned it out with a mix of water and glycerine then added it little by little to the MF foundation (mixing it on the back of my hand with a brush.) I was worried about separation but it held up perfectly.

Im a genius

I'd definitely recommend this method to anyone struggling to find a shade light enough for their skin. I know Illamasqua do a pure white foundation if you are worried about quality but the Stargazer one is a good way to experiment because its so cheap (I paid about £2.50 on ebay)

Also the water/glycerine mixture works amazingly with water based foundations. I tied 1 cup glycerine to 3 cups water and mixed it drop by drop to the foundation on the back of my hand.

05-02-2010
backstage pass

Wow, a fellow Atlas Sound/Deerhunter fan! Hurrah!

I actually already have that white foundation and have used it for mixing before but it didn't work well. However, I haven't used the whole glycerin trick....I know this sounds stupid but what actually is glycerin and where do you get it?

I have actually found a shade light enough, thats not the problem, it's finding a formula thats long lasting and works well on my awkward red oily/dry pore ridden skin. I've tried all the primers under the sun, I have Laura Mercier, Becca, Shu Uemura, Illamasqua, Mac, L'oreal, MUFE and Bobbi Brown. None of them help. I either end up far too dry in places with an oily nose and a crusty area around the base of my nose, or I end up with virtually no make up on because it's slid off my face. It's INFURIATING!

05-02-2010
windowshopping

I've been having a murderous time trying to find concealer for my undereye circles. They are DARK. Once I manage to find something that covers them, it's too dark for my skin (which is, in turn, too light for most foundations). Any ideas?

06-02-2010
fashion elite

^There was some discussion a few pages back about under eye concealer which might be worth reading. One suggestion is to get a concealer pallet with several different colours (salmon, lilac, green, yellow etc) which you can custom mix.

I forgot to mention in that discussion that one of my favourite under eye concealers is Laura Merciers Secret Camouflage (in SC-1). It's a two shade product one side its salmon coloured, the other skin toned (very light coloured.)

If you find that the concealer you are currently using is too light for the foundation perhaps you could apply concealer first and then lightly cover with foundation. There is a danger you will wipe away the concealer so apply the foundation very gently with your ring finger in patting motions. Remember to use products under the eye sparingly otherwise it could make them look worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbear View Post
Wow, a fellow Atlas Sound/Deerhunter fan! Hurrah!
Bradford Cox = god

Quote:
I actually already have that white foundation and have used it for mixing before but it didn't work well. However, I haven't used the whole glycerin trick....I know this sounds stupid but what actually is glycerin and where do you get it?
Glycerine forms the basis of most skin and hair care products (take a look at anything in your beauty cupboard and you'll probably see it listed as one of the first ingredients.) Its also used to relieve dryness of throats and coughs.

You can buy it in any pharmacy. I picked mine up in the cold & coughs section of Boots for about £1ish.

Its a really useful thing to have in your cupboard because its so versatile. You can apply it neat to dry skin or dissolve it in a water, mix it with most skin care products, make home made beauty products (e.g. soap, facial serum) or try adding a drop to hair conditioner if your hair is really dry.

Quote:
I have actually found a shade light enough, thats not the problem, it's finding a formula thats long lasting and works well on my awkward red oily/dry pore ridden skin. I've tried all the primers under the sun, I have Laura Mercier, Becca, Shu Uemura, Illamasqua, Mac, L'oreal, MUFE and Bobbi Brown. None of them help. I either end up far too dry in places with an oily nose and a crusty area around the base of my nose, or I end up with virtually no make up on because it's slid off my face. It's INFURIATING!
I have an oily t-zone but the rest of my skin is quite dry so I get both associated problems

things you could try:

start with a mattifying moisturiser OR primer (you don't have to wear moisturiser under primer) one of the best moisturisers Ive found for oily skin is Garnier Pure A daily moisturiser. Despite being cheap its really effective. good stuff.
Ive not found a primer Im crazy about (currently using the smoothing one by L'oreal studio) but Daniel Sandlers is supposed to be very good as it the Smashbox one. Ask for some samples of them before buying them so you can decide if they work for you.

Applying foundation with a slightly damp brush can help the foundation 'cling' to your skin better.

Apply loose powder after foundation/concealer and then spray your face with a hydrating mist (e.g Avene, magicool) this sort of 'sets' the makeup.

I also suffer with facial redness (I think that's pretty common amongst us pale skin) and haven't found anything that really tones down the redness. Lilac coloured concealer or primer can help although you have to use it sparingly to avoid looking dead.

As for large pores, Ive recently discovered Soap & Glory's facial wipes which claim to minimize pores. Although I was a bit dubious about its claims after 2 and bit weeks use Im actually convinced they work.

Regular facials will help to reduce pore size too and perhaps help with oil production.

Hope that helps

06-02-2010
front row

i've been on the hunt for a new great pale foundation after prescriptives stopped selling - boooo! - and while i've got a little left at the bottom of the bottle, the loreal true match looks promising - i bought the blendable face powder today in shade C2 (cool 2). it seems to be one of the few other ranges that understands that there are cool and warm (and neutral) shades of skin. as a scottish pale person, i'm definitely a cool shade! cool shades tend to have bluey/pinky undertones and warmer tones have beigey/yellow undertones.

06-02-2010
®

Help guys! I have a fairly pale skin and my problem is that it has an uneven skin tone. My forehead skin looks darker by about a shade. It's really weird and it's not very obvious but sometimes it bothers me. I also have an oily T-zone. I rarely use any products on my face but I wish you can suggest one that can correct the unevenness.

07-02-2010
backstage pass

Quote:
Bradford Cox = god
I hope I don't sound an arse but I always feel a bit superficial going on about fashion stuff, when I also have such passion for music. Everyone i've met in fashion seems to not really have that passion, and a lot have been downright ridiculous....it's a shame.

Quote:
Glycerine forms the basis of most skin and hair care products (take a look at anything in your beauty cupboard and you'll probably see it listed as one of the first ingredients.) Its also used to relieve dryness of throats and coughs.

You can buy it in any pharmacy. I picked mine up in the cold & coughs section of Boots for about £1ish.

Its a really useful thing to have in your cupboard because its so versatile. You can apply it neat to dry skin or dissolve it in a water, mix it with most skin care products, make home made beauty products (e.g. soap, facial serum) or try adding a drop to hair conditioner if your hair is really dry.

Oh wow! Thanks for the tip, I had literally no idea, in my stupid brain I thought you'd made a sugar water solution and shoved it in your foundation, which I found confusing obviously! I'm going to get some tomorrow, my other half has a bad cough and I want to play with it and make up!

Quote:
start with a mattifying moisturiser OR primer (you don't have to wear moisturiser under primer) one of the best moisturisers Ive found for oily skin is Garnier Pure A daily moisturiser. Despite being cheap its really effective. good stuff.
Ive not found a primer Im crazy about (currently using the smoothing one by L'oreal studio) but Daniel Sandlers is supposed to be very good as it the Smashbox one. Ask for some samples of them before buying them so you can decide if they work for you.
I'm currently using a chanel balancing moisturiser AND a mattifying primer, I didn't realise you were only meant to use one, so I did try this last night. Sadly, I STILL had the problem where my foundation (I used Armani Luminous Silk Long Lasting) floated and separated and looked awful. I shall look into Smashbox, as one just opened in the debenhams near me in Clapham. They're always giving away samples, fabulous!

Quote:
Applying foundation with a slightly damp brush can help the foundation 'cling' to your skin better.
Do you know if this still applies if you're using a skunk type brush where you stipple it on?

Quote:
Apply loose powder after foundation/concealer and then spray your face with a hydrating mist (e.g Avene, magicool) this sort of 'sets' the makeup.
I do do this, I use either blot powder or shu uemura or armani luminous loose powder. I end up dry around the eyes and mucky around the nose when the oil seeps through. I usually use mac fix, but i've got some magicool so i'll give that a go!

Quote:
I also suffer with facial redness (I think that's pretty common amongst us pale skin) and haven't found anything that really tones down the redness. Lilac coloured concealer or primer can help although you have to use it sparingly to avoid looking dead.
Oooh lilac! I've never used lilac, only green, and I ALWAYS sweat my foundation off and get left with a horrible green face, so lilac sounds perfic!

Quote:
As for large pores, Ive recently discovered Soap & Glory's facial wipes which claim to minimize pores. Although I was a bit dubious about its claims after 2 and bit weeks use Im actually convinced they work.

Regular facials will help to reduce pore size too and perhaps help with oil production.
Good old soap and glory! I'm going to my local boots tomorrow to stock up on them, my pores are offensively large, like you can actually see the muck in them sitting there. Horrid. I did only have one facial once, and I got spotty so badly afterwards I never got another....but thats probably the way its meant to work I imagine...

Quote:
Hope that helps
You = SUPERSTAR

10-02-2010
fashion elite

^

I have to admit I'm already tiring of having to mix my foundation everyday its just so much hassle. ugh. nothing is ever simple.

Well anyway, I just came across a blog featuring pale foundation swatches. Find more here

MAC

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:

1. MAC FULL COVERAGE FOUNDATION (PRO): NW10 : DOEST NO OXIDIZE
2. MAC MINERALIZE SATINFINISH: NC15 : HAS MILD OXIDATION RATE
3. MAC SCULTP FOUNDATION: NW15: MILD OXIDATION RATE
4. MAC SCULPT FOUNDATION: NC15: VERY MILD OXIDATION RATE
5. MAC STUDIO FIX LIQUID FOUNDATION: NW15: VERY HIGH OXIDATION RATE

1. BOBBI BROWN LUMINOUS MOISTURIZING FOUNDATION: 00 ALABASTER : MODERATE TO HIGH OXIDATION
2. BOBBI BROWN STICK FOUNDATION: 00 ALABASTER : NONE TO MILD OXIDATION
3. ARMANI DESIGNER SHAPING FOUNDATION: 2 : MODERATE TO HIGH OXIDATION (DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH PRODUCT YOU APPLY)
4. DIORSKIN NUDE FOUNDATION LIQUID: 010 : VERY HIGH OXIDATION

1. BOBBI BROWN EXTRA TINTED SPF 25 BALM: ALABASTER : MILD OXIDATION
2. BOBBI BROWN SKIN FOUNDATION: 00 ALABASTER : NO OXIDATION TO VERY MILD OXIDATION
3. BOBBI BROWN LUMINOUS MOISTURIZING FOUNDATION: 00 ALABASTER : MODERATE TO HIGH OXIDATION
4. BOBBI BROWN STICK FOUNDATION: 00 ALABASTER : NONE TO MILD OXIDATION
5. ARMANI DESIGNER SHAPING FOUNDATION: 2 : MODERATE TO HIGH OXIDATION (DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH PRODUCT YOU APPLY)
6. DIORSKIN NUDE FOUNDATION LIQUID: 010 : VERY HIGH OXIDATION

1. ARMANI LUMINOUS SILK FOUNDATION: 0 WHITE : NO OXIDATION (BLUE UNDERTONE)
2. MAC FACE & BODY: WHITE : NO OXIDATION (BEIGE UNDERTONE)
3. DERMALOGICA FOUNDATION COLOR CORRECTOR: - MINUS : NO OXIDATION (CREAMY UNDERTONE)

1. Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation: Soft Ivory
2. Bobbi Brown luminous foundation: 00 alabaster
3. Make up for ever HD Foundation: 110

1. Diorskin icône: 010 ivory: Moderate oxidation
2. Tarte ReCreate foundation: 00 Porcelain: Moderate to high oxidation
3. Giorgio Armani Face Fabric: 01 : Low oxidation
4. Korres Ginger and Vitamins Foundation: LF1: High oxidation
5. Clinique Almost make up: 01 Fair : High to very high oxidation
6. Maybelline Clear smooth aqua gel foundation: 11 Ivory: Moderate to high oxidation (and extreme creasing)

1. SKII Power Signs treatment foundation: OP-1 (Moderate oxidation)
2. Diorsculpt: 010 Ivory (Moderate oxidation)
3. Shu Uemura Nobara cream stick foundation: 774 (Low oxidation) (runs very yellow)
4. Q10 Fluid foundation: OC-00 (Moderate to high oxidation, runs very yellow)
5. Paul & Joe Compact moisturizing cream foundation: 00 Alabaster (No Oxidation to low, runs a bit yellow)
6. Lancome Photogenic Lumessence: Ivory 1N (Moderate oxidation, runs pink)
7. Max Factor Colour Adapt: Rich ivory

Concealers/ correctors

1. Lancome Renergie lift duo concealer: 01
2. Laura Mercier Secret concealer: 1
3. Laura Mercier Secret Camuflage: 1
4. Bobbi brown Corrector: Porcelain Bisque
5. Bobbi brow concealer: Porcelain
6. Mac Studio sculpt concealer: NW15
7. Mac Select cover up: NW15
8. Mac Select Moisturecover: NW15
9. Make up for ever Lift concealer: 01
10. Bobbi Brown Eye brightener: Light

source: confessionsofazydrateaddict.blogspot.com

11-02-2010
backstage pass

I got the soap and glory wipes btw, they ROCK!

I've tried nearly ALL those foundations above, and none of them work for me, not one of them. The only thing I have that is near my color is a sodding sample of color id by lancome that is discontinued. Fabulous.

13-02-2010
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

^ Ugh, there is nothing more frustrating than finally finding something that works, only to have it be discontinued! Good luck on your search!

15-02-2010
tfs star

I am soooo getting these soap and glory face wipes.

15-02-2010
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I am soooo getting these soap and glory face wipes.
Im buying another pack tomorrow while they are on offer in boots (1/3 off)

Girls (and boys?):

NYX Liquid Foundation in Pale (LM 01)

SERIOUSLY pale
YAY

NYX do not sell in the UK so I was apprehensive about buying it online without trying it but as it was only £13 I thought it was worth a try. SO glad I did. This is by far the palest foundation I have ever found. It was quite strange to see myself in the mirror with a face that matched my super white neck and chest.

Unless you are super white then the shade up (down?) might be a safer bet

(Ivory LM 02)

The finish is matte but not chalky however if you have dry or dry/combination skin then it would probably benefit from being mixed with either moisturiser or a mixing medium (MAC pro does one or you can try the water/glycerine mix I detailed above.)

in short: its great. buy it.

no more foundation posts for me. I swear.

Now onto that perfect blusher....

ETA: all images from cherryculture.com

Last edited by laisla; 15-02-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: image source

16-02-2010
scenester

what do you think about Shiseido, Foundation (Dual Balancing Foundation SPF15 ) I would love to buy it but I'm not sure about color could you help ?
this is my photo ( well part of my face )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled 3.jpg (3.6 KB, 124 views)

17-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by laisla View Post
I have to admit I'm already tiring of having to mix my foundation everyday its just so much hassle. ugh. nothing is ever simple.
Me too!
But I think now I know what my problem is: my neck has little bit tan and my face is pale and there are red parts. They don't match ever.. I guess I try to make my face looks good, I have tried to find good moisturiser and then more covered foundation. I hate my face

Last edited by Annu; 17-02-2010 at 04:40 AM.

17-02-2010
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by laisla View Post
Im buying another pack tomorrow while they are on offer in boots (1/3 off)

Now onto that perfect blusher....
I got them! Theres a pore refining mask on offer too. I think I'll try that too!

While you're mentioning blusher, I use Dior Pro Cheeks in catwalk pink. Its a cream one so its easy to just put small amounts on and build it up.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fair, fave, pale, products, skin