How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

06-03-2011
front row

Well, I'm pretty yellow myself, so Porcelain (which is the TM shade; Porcelain Ivory is the foundation shade if I'm not mistaken) matched my skin TONE but left a whitish cast, especially in photos. In summer I'll probably match Nude again.

And I agree that Chantecaille makes lovely pale shades, but for me their foundations are too dry. I've got pretty dry skin in winter though, and I only tried them at a counter without primer or moisturizer or anything. Still, I didn't love the texture.

Has anyone tried Benefit One Hot Minute bronzer? It's supposed to be pretty subtle. I still haven't found a great bronzer that doesn't make me look dirty.

11-03-2011
Riot Bug

Lancôme Maquimat BEIGE DIAPHANE works pretty much for me

12-03-2011
backstage pass

pink explosion from joues contrastes by chanel is the best blush I have ever encountered for pale skin.

it's limited edition though

it lasts forever, but does anyone know of anything similar in shade and awesomeness?

13-03-2011
backstage pass

Has anyone tried Clarins Skin Illusion Natural Radiance Foundation in 103 ivory? I know it's not going to be as light as Nars Sheer Glow in Siberia, but is it maybe close?

Btw, I recenty bought Chanel Pro Lumier in 10 Limpide- Nude, as I saw Lisa Eldridge using it on Kirsten Dunst, and I always thought that she was as pale as me. Obviously, she's not. Foundation is waaaaaay to dark for me.Yet another miss. *Sigh*

Last edited by sunn19; 13-03-2011 at 10:32 AM.

13-03-2011
fashion elite

celebs usually wear a foundation a shade darker because the flash on cameras makes skin look lighter than it is because of the light reflecting partials in the foundation.

14-03-2011
front row

clinique city block sheer! makes my skin soooo smooth. really lightly tinted and its spf 25 which is great if you're conscious about sun damage... stops your skin looking greasy as well!

15-03-2011
front row

Has anyone tried out the FACEatelier Zero Minus foundation stuff? I kind of need something to lighten up foundations that I've accumulated that are the right tone but slightly too dark for me now (curse you, Laura Mercier Creme Smooth Blush Ivory!!! 50 bucks for something that is ever so slightly too dark in natural light, ugh)

If anyone has tried out Zero Minus, mind sharing your experience? Does it mix well into foundations (oil free or otherwise)? Does it make foundation photograph oddly (that's sort of a fear for me)! It's a bit of cash to drop for something I can't test out in stores!
(and before anyone suggests MAC Face & Body in white, sorry, not interested for various reasons)

15-03-2011
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fika View Post
clinique city block sheer! makes my skin soooo smooth. really lightly tinted and its spf 25 which is great if you're conscious about sun damage... stops your skin looking greasy as well!
I hate to break it to you, but you need a proper SPF. SPF in moisturizers and foundations lasts for about an hour, and they rarely give you the protection they state.

we were in love

15-03-2011
front row

it's not a foundation or a moisturiser though, you can't use it as either.

15-03-2011
trendsetter

Yeah, I also thought the product was only meant to give you sun protection..

I was thinking of buying it since it's really lovely on the skin. I have a miniature and I've been using it for awhile now. Doesn't make me oily and doesn't feel like it sits on top of my skin.

Last edited by FleurDeLys; 15-03-2011 at 04:35 AM.

15-03-2011
In Bloom

City Bock does not provide sun protection unless you reapply every couple of hours. Waste of money IMO. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are OK if you're not having your photo taken and if you don't mind spending a ****load of cash because you'd need to repurchase once a month.

Chemical filters are way more efficient, waterproof and they last for ages, hence the once-a-day application.

we were in love

15-03-2011
fashion elite

all sunscreens -regardless of whether or not they have chemical or mineral filters and come in the form of creams, lotions, powders or cosmetics with added spf- need to be reapplied at least every 2 hours unless specified otherwise. However there are some sun creams on the market that can be worn for up to 8-10 hours without reapplication but you need to follow the directions carefully.

waterproof/water resistant sunscreens only give 30mins -1 hours protection after contact with water so they also need to be reapplied frequently.

As long as the Clinique City Block provides UVA/UVB broadspectrum protection then I dont see why you shouldn't use it. Just remember to follow the directions (they usually say apply it 15 mins before stepping outside) and reapply it every 2 hours (more often if it isn't water/sweat resistant)

16-03-2011
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by laisla View Post
all sunscreens -regardless of whether or not they have chemical or mineral filters and come in the form of creams, lotions, powders or cosmetics with added spf- need to be reapplied at least every 2 hours unless specified otherwise. However there are some sun creams on the market that can be worn for up to 8-10 hours without reapplication but you need to follow the directions carefully.
Nope. There is one particular sunscreen that lasts for 10 hours straight. You just need to apply it, wait 20 mins, and then do whatever you want. Swim, sweat, whatever. I've used it all my life and I have never ever had a sunburn or a wrinkle.

I'd never waste my money on the Clinique city block. DAMN that must be expensive, reapplying every 2nd hour, and what about makeup? Most sunscreens are excellent primers, but how do you reapply without ruining your makeup? I guess a transparent spray with spf would be handy...but that's another product to spend money on. I think I'll stick to Riemann's P20.

we were in love

16-03-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
Nope. There is one particular sunscreen that lasts for 10 hours straight. You just need to apply it, wait 20 mins, and then do whatever you want. Swim, sweat, whatever. I've used it all my life and I have never ever had a sunburn or a wrinkle.
may i ask you about the name of this product?!

16-03-2011
fashion elite

^there are quite a few on the market. I use one by Boots Soltan but I have seen some by Coppertone, Riemann and Piz Buin (sp??) but I cant remember if they were specifically for the face. The Boots one I use is for the face, its slightly tinted so you dont get that white residue. During the summer I often skipped moisturiser all together and just wore this as I felt it was pretty moisturising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post

I'd never waste my money on the Clinique city block. DAMN that must be expensive, reapplying every 2nd hour, and what about makeup? Most sunscreens are excellent primers, but how do you reapply without ruining your makeup? I guess a transparent spray with spf would be handy...but that's another product to spend money on. I think I'll stick to Riemann's P20.
hmm I already said there are some sunscreens that can last up to 10 hours.

maybe this is not the place for it but anyway, I generally find you really rude.

anyway....
recommended for ultra-pale, fair and freckly skin in this weeks Grazia:

Shu Uemura UV Underbase, £29
liberty.co.uk

Paul & Joe Protective Fluid Foundation in Alabaster, £26
beautyhabit.com/

Dermalogica Ultracalming Serum Concentrate, £51
dermalogica.com

L'oreal Infallible Foundation Brush in 015 Porcelain, £12.99
loreal-paris.co.uk

Paul & Joe Limited Edition Spring Lipstick in 070 Chantilly, £15
beautybay.com