How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-09-2005
backstage pass

Pancake Makeup
After visiting the MaxFactor museum in L.A., I was amazed to find out that all those old Hollywood stars wore pancake makup. I don't know if any of you have heard of it, but it's the most amzing thing and most makeup brands carry it in some form. It's a stick of foundation and I love it. Has anyone else tried it??

18-09-2005
|/mirror queen\|

Yes.
But itīs only for a total coverage of the face, a foundation stick is like a concealer in a stick, exactly the same thing, and it doesnīt look nice for an everyday look.

Itīs great for television/films/photography or people who have really messed up skin (scars, pigmentation problems, etc), otherwise it will make you look like a doll (in the plastic sense!).

backstage pass

true, but the coverage is addictive. When I first bought it from the MAC store, I put it on everyday, then I broke out, so I just put more on!! Now I only use it every so often (mostly at night) and I make SURE to wash my face!!!

18-09-2005
scenester

I used to use it a couple years ago. for me it was a self esteen factor and I felt that I needed as much coverage as possible. Now days I just wear tinted moistureizer and It makes me happy.

18-09-2005
backstage pass

Yeah...I'm feeling like maybe self esteem did have something to do with it....but this is about fasion!! I can talk to my shrink about that other stuff!

19-09-2005
fashion elite

I have always wanted to try this...

Fierce Flava

I use it only minimally on a scar/pigmentation on my cheek....

I like Make Up Forever Pan Stick.

01-12-2007
backstage pass

I want to try this. Does it come in all shades or is it only for very fair skin? What brands make pancake makeup?

01-12-2007
fashion elite

doesn't it feel uber-heavy?

01-12-2007
V.I.P.

Yeah it feels very heavy. I wore it once and I couldn't wait to wash it off. I felt it made me look like one of the overy made up matte girls from the 80's.

02-12-2007
|/mirror queen\|

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrancofille View Post
I want to try this. Does it come in all shades or is it only for very fair skin? What brands make pancake makeup?
Pancake makeup is nothing more than compact foundation. Most brands have it but now but the stick foundation now is the most covering foundation of them all.
The 4 levels of coverage are:

1- Tinted Moisturizer
2- Liquid Foundation
3- Compact Foundation
4- Stick Foundation

Stick Foundation is TOTAL coverage and it equals getting a huge sized cream concealer and covering all of your face with it.

Imagine, itīs super heavy, but great if you have real skin problems and you want to cover them all at once.
But the other side is that if you something that heavy, you need a full face makeup to compensate for the "lack" of color your face will look like.

V.I.P.

Dermablend is a "good" pancake makeup if you are looking to cover stuff up.

02-12-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofialuv View Post
Pancake makeup is nothing more than compact foundation. Most brands have it but now but the stick foundation now is the most covering foundation of them all.
The 4 levels of coverage are:

1- Tinted Moisturizer
2- Liquid Foundation
3- Compact Foundation
4- Stick Foundation

Stick Foundation is TOTAL coverage and it equals getting a huge sized cream concealer and covering all of your face with it.

Imagine, itīs super heavy, but great if you have real skin problems and you want to cover them all at once.
But the other side is that if you something that heavy, you need a full face makeup to compensate for the "lack" of color your face will look like.
That was a great explanation. I currently use liquid. I want to try a stick. I've used compacts in the past, but it takes a lot of time to blend blend blend so you don't look streaky.

03-12-2007
trendsetter

I used to use this for stage make up when I was in ballet. Max Factor Natural no. 1. For face and on my shoes so the satin wouldn't be shiny. It was the kind you put water in the lid and then dip the sponge in the water and then wipe it on the pancake and then on your face. Is that the kind we mean? I think you can adjust the coverage by how heavily you put it on or how many layers just like any other make up. To be honest I didn't really like and would never wear it in real life. It just made my face feel stiff and dry. It does have a spectacular matte quality though if that's what you're looking for.

windowshopping

Pinksatin, that is the original MF pancake you describe and probably what the OP saw in the MF museum. I don't think you can even get it anymore. MF also made a panstick makeup which was creamier and was just applied directly without the water. The pancake was used primarily for stage (theatre and ballet as you did) and screen as it did offer complete coverage. I think the products you see today in compact and stick form might not have the density and therefore coverage that the old MF pancake provided.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makeup, pancake