How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-06-2006
tfs star

I love this thread. I too am pale and cheap and dont want to buy new makeup!

I just avoid going outdoors, or staying in shaded areas. Sometimes sunscreen if I need to be outside for a while. (And a note to people who dont want to prevent tans, still wear SPF, because skin cancer is no fun.)

11-06-2006
Diamond

Maybe a parasol would be in order? I've actually been thinking of getting one.

~Madeleine Albright
11-06-2006
V.I.P.

^I have several....ppl may laugh a little but hey, it keeps me tan-free! I like Clinique's factor 30 sunscreen. Or the kids factor 60 sunblock is excellent.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
11-06-2006
VSFS 2009!

Oh...I have a parasol too....embarrased...Lol. It's pink. I have the Clinique one, it's really good, not all that greasy. A big floppy hat, perhaps?

31-05-2007
backstage pass

Hellllp!

Does the UK sell La Roche Posay sunscreen and if so which vendors carry it? I haven't seen it in local Superdrugs or Boots. I'm here for the summer and I'm out...

Also, it's immune to extreme heat, right? I left a bottle in my car in Florida where it's routinely like 115 degrees in the car every afternoon (no joke). No seriously, I feel like the plastic container might melt and meld with the sunscreen!

Last edited by galviggo; 31-05-2007 at 10:25 AM.
31-05-2007
backstage pass

And per marqueemoon's advice, unfortunately I don't have an eBay account ( I'm like the only one left in the universe). Don't want to open one due to too many active accounts already to keep track of, any other options?

31-05-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchina View Post
Summer is here, and I've grown to appreciate my light skintone. I'm a Mac NC-25, and way too cheap to buy new makeup. I apply facial sunscreen every day (even in the winter), and I'm wondering how I'll be able to prevent a tan this summer? I like wearing skirts and tank tops, so I don't want to cover up. Any help?
hey guess what? im a MAC NC 25 too (even thought under certain light it look too yellow for me)
u wanna try a brand call shiseido anessa?

Midnight blooms.........

What brand 60+ does everyone use on their bodies?

backstage pass

Sunscreen
Stay out of the sun
Cover up
Exfoliate
Masks

It's simple, really

trendsetter

We need sunlight people, what we don't need is sunburns. If you wanna stay pale use a lot of sunblocker and avoid exposing yourself directly to the sun between 12 am and 5 pm, but don't avoid sunlight as much as you can because it's necessary for your bones and nervous system!

02-06-2007
tfs star

Galviggo:
There's a version of the La Roche now on the American market that you can find in most big drugstores. It's not as strong as the European stuff, but still much better protection than you'll get from American brands. It's only about 15-20 bucks I think. You don't have to order the normal La Roche on ebay, btw. I know of a woman who runs a business in Florida called Heavenly Skin and you can order it from her over the phone for thirty bucks. I've ordered from her before and she's very good. Stuff arives in 2-3 business days irrc. You mentioned that you didn't like the consistency of the Extreme Fluide, but I found one that has much better feel with the same strength called Anthelios Peds SPF 50+. It doesn't have that runny quality that the other formula has and comes in a larger bottle. It lasted me a long time. If you're interested, I can give you her email/contact info. Mexoryl, the ingredient in La Roche's products, is highly stable so it won't break down unless it's in extreme heat or sunlight for a long period. Other formulas are more likely to break down.

Also, this other European sunscreen is supposed to be really good. Haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it's great from others and it has a strong, highly stable formula:
http://www.frenchcosmeticsforless.co...d=6081&cat=112
You would have to order it online, but there are plenty of online pharmacies that sell it. You don't need to use ebay.

Neutrogena Dry Touch is also pretty decent in strength and can be found in most stores but the consistency is kind of gross, imo. It gets all tacky. It would be ok to use on your body but not for your face.

HTH!

Oh shoot, I just realized you're in the UK. I don't know what sunscreens they have over there so ordering online might be a better option. They should have the La Roche. Are you sure they don't? What about Shiseido? They have fairly good sunscreens as well. Look for sunscreens that have Tinisorb or Mexoryl listed in their ingredients. Also pay attention to the PPD -- not just the SPF. The PPD indicates the UVA protection. 28 or 30 is the highest PPD possible.

Last edited by marqueemoon; 02-06-2007 at 11:37 PM.
03-06-2007
front row

Glad someone asked this question!
*writes down notes*

03-06-2007
trendsetter

does those 45 spf sunlotion for babies work on ur face too?
and what kinda moisturiser have more then spf 30?

tfs star

^Yes, the Anthelios Peds I mentioned is actually for kids, but it works just as well for adults -- it's just somewhat gentler on the skin and sticks better.

I don't know about moisturizers, but honestly if you wear a relatively fluid sunscreen all day, your skin doesn't need any more moisture. The sunscreen already does a great job.

Last edited by marqueemoon; 03-06-2007 at 03:35 AM.
03-06-2007
tfs star

Two more things I forgot to mention.

La Roche also makes a very light spray sunscreen that's also got a high PPD -- it's called Anthelios XL 50+ spray. That consistency may work better for some.

Wearing Vitamin C serum under sunscreen and after sun exposure has been shown in many studies to boost the skin's repair against sun damage. A good serum is Skinceuticals C+E and ferulic acid, but it's expensive and doesn't last too long. Many people serious about skincare mix the serum on their own so it's fresh. It's actually very easy to mix. You just need two ingredients. Here's the formula
1/2 Solgar Vit. C crystals (l-ascorbic acid)
4 tsp distilled water OR KY Ultra gel
A freshly mixed 'batch' lasts two weeks.

The ingredients can be purchased cheaply online at vitaminshoppe.com and amazon.com respectively.
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=CF-1399

So a basic good skincare routine that actually has scientific evidence to back it up is...
Morning -- cleanse face with something gentle like Cetaphil facewash. Lightly pat dry. Apply a dab of Vit C serum, and then over it sunscreen (20 mins before leaving house). Get neck, chest, hands and other exposed areas.
Reapply sunscreen at least once during the day. Wear sunglasses/hats when possible.

Night -- Wash off sunscreen thoroughly with DHC cleanser. Wait 20 mins and then apply a pea size of Retin A Microgel .04. Tap lightly onto face, don't rub in. Avoid mouth, eye area. Apply Generic .025 tretinoin or Avage around the eyes and mouth because it's a bit gentler. Usually best to use the Retin A only every other night. Sleep on your back to avoid getting sleep lines.

That's it! If you follow that simple routine you'll have beautiful skin for a long time. My skin has improved so much since I started.

Last edited by marqueemoon; 03-06-2007 at 04:00 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
preventing, tan