How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-01-2004
front row

Proactiv works great. It dries your skin up a little at first, but after that is clears your face up and keeps it clear.

14-01-2004
scenester

Hate to be the one dissenter here but...

I tried protactive for mild breakouts and whoa was that a bad idea!!

I have sensitive skin so it burned when I first put it on, but the product instructions said that was "a normal reaction while your skin became accustomed to the product" Well, apparently not only do I have sensitive skin, but I'm also allergic to benzyol peroxide (the active ingredient in proactive) After using proactiv for 2 days, I was at my doctor getting steroids to calm my skin.

I'm not saying don't try it, just be careful if you have sensitive skin. Even though its an over the counter product, it has close to the same levels of benzyol peroxide as most dermatologist prescribed medications.

14-01-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Anyway, I was just throwing out my experience with Accutane so people wondering about it have something to consider. Like I said, it's great stuff if you are lucky enough to not experience any of the side effects in a major way
There are some exremely nasty possible side-effects and I think anyone who is considering using Accutane should have a serious think about whether they are willing to take that risk...

I have taken an anti-Malarial drug which was recently banned due to it inducing physchosis in a number of cases...even though I didn't get psychosis myself it's still not a drug that I would advise anyone to take : just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it can't...

& b

Quote:
Originally posted by LilyBird@Jan 4th, 2004 - 4:38 pm
Watch out though, the lotion you use can lighten your eyebrows if your not careful about where you apply it!

No wonder my eyebrows are almost blonde

I was using Proactiv when before I started my holiday break, and it was working super good, my face was clearing up really fast. I left my proactiv at the dorms and I couldn't get it until last monday, when I realized that Proactiv was helping a lot, because I was starting to break out again. But I got the BenzaClin, which is working wonders now...

windowshopping

i've been using proactiv for about 1 1/2 months. i used to have mild/moderate acne, and after 2 weeks, i saw a real difference in my skin (which has never happened before...used to see a zit a day). not only am i getting less pimples, but my skin feels smoother too. it used to be uneven from blemishes and drying bumps. however, i started using oxypads the same time i started proactiv, and i don't use it as advised. i only use proactiv once a day, in combination with cetaphil. i've also started replacing soft drinks and juices with water (a very hard thing to do!) so i have no idea what really worked for me, so i'm just sticking to this routine.

18-01-2004
rising star

Hmmm, I was just wondering, those of you who use Proactiv, do you use it everyday? I was just curious because I have mild acne and whiteheads around my nose, chin, forehead, and have redness in my upper lip area. I'm 30, and I haven't had this much acne since I was a teenager! I am worried because I was wondering how it would react with my cosmetics and anti-aging nightcreams...

Do you have to completely switch over to this system and use it everyday? And, do you have to use a separate makeup remover before using the cleanser?

18-01-2004
front row

I personally love Proactiv. I have never been to pimply just bumps and the occasional whitehead on my forehead. The first day I used it at night, went to bed and when I woke up I noticed my skin was a lot clearer. The whole first week it cleared up most of my skin, then since then it's been more slow going. I have been using it for about a month, and I had only 1 reaction to it, about 2 weeks ago. I used it on a more sensitive spot on my cheeks, although I did not need it there, but my cheeks got a little redder and stung a tad, then went away.
I'd advise anyone with mild acne to use it, but if you have a lot of acne definatly find something stronger.

18-01-2004
backstage pass

I think they tell you that you need the whole system so they can sell you more products. If you don't have acne on the cheeks or around the eye area you can keep using the anti aging creams in those areas while using pro-active on the greasier parts.

I've never used pro-active. I have a hard time believing that it is any better than most of the drugstore acne products. A combination of clean and clear cream cleanser and the pill have worked for me.

19-01-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by Shahna@Jan 18th, 2004 - 5:43 pm
I think they tell you that you need the whole system so they can sell you more products. If you don't have acne on the cheeks or around the eye area you can keep using the anti aging creams in those areas while using pro-active on the greasier parts.

I've never used pro-active. I have a hard time believing that it is any better than most of the drugstore acne products. A combination of clean and clear cream cleanser and the pill have worked for me.
That's a good idea, about using the proactiv in certain areas of the face. I think I'll try that first. You know, when I was on Ortho-Tri Cyclen for a year, it was great, my skin was perfect, but I gained 15 pounds! I am now on Yasmin 28, and have lost some weight, but have found that my skin is pimply again! Must be the lower dosage pill!. Even my hubby noticed the acne lately. Anyhow, I do have mild pimples, so I am going to try it on the acne-prone areas. Thanks!

19-01-2004
fashion insider

I am trying Proactiv right now. I've had it for about a month and a half also. It doesn't work for me. I get black heads in my cheeks and white heads on my forehead. All of my zits leave scars that naturally take a long time to go away, so if I can just find something that stops the zits from coming i can wait on the scars to dissappear, but the zits keep comin'. Although it's great for smoother skin and smaller pores, the zits come and go all in the same day, but it's an every day thing. I just want them to stop coming!

V.I.P.

how long dos it take to work, becuas I have been useing it for a few days and nothing major has happend.

scenester

I tried proactive , but it'nt work for me. But does any one know if acne complex works?

06-03-2004
rising star

I know three people who have used accutane and it honestly did WONDERS for their skin.. they are all now complelty clear. sure they had dry skin and blood tests for a few months, but now they have clear skin FOREVER!!!
luckily my skin isnt that bad at all, so i won't bother, but i really suggest it on behalf of them!

15-04-2004
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by kate@Jan 14th, 2004 - 2:21 pm
Proactiv works great. It dries your skin up a little at first, but after that is clears your face up and keeps it clear.
mhmm

29-04-2004
rising star

I heard about pro active in this forum but I have no idea what is that, is it good?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
proactiv