How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-10-2005
backstage pass

Q about makeup ingredients
This is kinda odd, I hope someone has some info.

I have to wear oil-free make-up, so I always look for that on the label. I wear Chanel's teint fluide universel (which I LOVE). It has never given me any trouble, blends like an angel's dream. Here's my question: It says oil-free, but the ingredients on the back have "hydrogenated castor oil". ?????? I don't want to switch, especially since it works so well, but now I've worked myself into a state of worry.

Anyone know why they can list this?

Thanks!

26-10-2005
front row

A dermatologist told me that Chanel make up does not block pores.

Mineral oil and lanolin block pores. They are very low quality ingredients that leave a film on your skin, making it feel soft. People get addicted to that soft feel, but your skin does not improve, it just relies on that product.

26-10-2005
backstage pass

That's good to know, thank you

Seeing the word "oil" in an oil-free product is scary...well...if your anal like me

26-10-2005
|/mirror queen\|

I was also surprised to read this in October´s Allure:

False Acne Alarm

Mineral oil, found in a range of cosmetics including baby lotion, bath oil and some makeup, doesn´t trigger acne- despite widespread belief to the contrary among both dermatologists and consumers, according to a report in the Journal of Dermatology.

On a five-point scale measuring comedogenic effect- the likelihood of causing blackheads or white heads- moneral oil intended for cosmetic use (as opposed to industrial-grade mineral oil) ranges from zero to two, several studies have determined.

That means it "won´t clog pores or aggravate acne", says Joseph DiNardo fo Pharma Cosmetix Research in Richmond. He recommends that women with acne prone skin look for products labeled "non comedogenic" rather than "mineral oil free".

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by palyxa
This is kinda odd, I hope someone has some info.

I have to wear oil-free make-up, so I always look for that on the label. I wear Chanel's teint fluide universel (which I LOVE). It has never given me any trouble, blends like an angel's dream. Here's my question: It says oil-free, but the ingredients on the back have "hydrogenated castor oil". ?????? I don't want to switch, especially since it works so well, but now I've worked myself into a state of worry.

Anyone know why they can list this?

Thanks!
hydro.... is jojoba oil, from a plant. I wonder what brands want to say with "oil free"... like what is actually oil to them..

27-10-2005
|/mirror queen\|

That´s a good question ambidextrous, in my reading of the matter, an oil free foundation is just a foundation for oily skin on the opposite, foundations for drier skins have moisturizing ingredients.

tfs star

I've heard that no matter what...try at all costs to avoid products heavy in talc..especially eye shadow. I'm not sure what the problem is with them..just what I heard...any thoughts?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ingredients, makeup