How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-09-2004
front row

if you've read a lot of reviews on the Raw diet, you'll find that most of the claims are unfounded and there are a lot of risks that come along with following it..

The raw diet is nutrient dense, there is little or no saturated fat, it is low in sodium, high in potassium and fibre-rich. These factors are important in helping to reduce the risk of certain diseases such as heart disease and some cancers.

Dr Sarah Schenker, Nutrition Scientist at the British Nutrition Foundation has some doubts. She says, 'eating only raw foods can considerably limit the variety of foods that can be included in the diet, such as meat, potatoes and other cereal products, which in turn can limit our nutrient intake. This could lead to nutritional deficiencies - for example, iron and calcium - if followed for any length of time.'

'Also, people often think that fruit and vegetables are better for you if they are raw. However, research has shown that some of the phytochemicals present are more easily absorbed by the body when the vegetable has been cooked or processed, for example, lycopene in tomatoes and carotenoids in carrots'.

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/dietandfitness/e...98387-2,00.html

03-09-2004
trendsetter

Juliano has a restaurant just across the street from Fred Segal in Santa Monica. Donna Karan did the raw thing....

Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally posted by hotpinky@Sep 2 2004, 03:36 PM
if you've read a lot of reviews on the Raw diet, you'll find that most of the claims are unfounded and there are a lot of risks that come along with following it..

The raw diet is nutrient dense, there is little or no saturated fat, it is low in sodium, high in potassium and fibre-rich. These factors are important in helping to reduce the risk of certain diseases such as heart disease and some cancers.

Dr Sarah Schenker, Nutrition Scientist at the British Nutrition Foundation has some doubts. She says, 'eating only raw foods can considerably limit the variety of foods that can be included in the diet, such as meat, potatoes and other cereal products, which in turn can limit our nutrient intake. This could lead to nutritional deficiencies - for example, iron and calcium - if followed for any length of time.'

'Also, people often think that fruit and vegetables are better for you if they are raw. However, research has shown that some of the phytochemicals present are more easily absorbed by the body when the vegetable has been cooked or processed, for example, lycopene in tomatoes and carotenoids in carrots'.

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/dietandfitness/e...98387-2,00.html
[snapback]354443[/snapback]
Who says you can't eat raw meat?

Just being devil's advocate. Any diet should be carefully constructed to be sure one is getting everything one needs. [/doctor]

rising star

the raw food diet
I looked back but I couldn't find a thread about this diet (but if there is and I missed it the mods can delete this).
I've become interested in the raw food diet because it sounds so helathy! and you get to eat healthy junkfood, which sounds yummeh to me.
so has anyone tried it and if so, how was it like?

23-02-2006
front row

I'm raw.

It's amazing!!!!

It is a life style. You really have to do it for the right reasons for it to be successful. But once you start to eat most of your food raw, your reasons for eating this way will probably change and expand. It really has a huge effect on your mind. You become much more mentally clear. It's like the fog clears or something...

There is so much to learn about nutrition. I look at how I used to eat, even though I thought it was really healthy... it really wasn't.

Raw is the way humans are supposed to eat. It's fun, and you can make really amazing meals. There is no limit to what you can do. There is basically a raw substitute for any cooked food dish.

Last edited by LucindaMay; 23-02-2006 at 08:54 PM.
25-02-2006
V.I.P.

doesn't raw foods create a lot of err .... flatulence? no I"m seriously asking....

25-02-2006
front row

Maybe for the first week or two. Your body just has to get used to it. But then things will be better than ever.

26-02-2006
rising star

Where can I find out more about this? I've been meaning to kick my bad eating habits (Diet Coke, deep fried foods, etc...). Anyone have any good recipes to share?

26-02-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totakeke
Where can I find out more about this? I've been meaning to kick my bad eating habits (Diet Coke, deep fried foods, etc...). Anyone have any good recipes to share?
this site is one of the best: http://vegweb.com/recipes/raw/
more info: http://www.ivillage.co.uk/dietandfit...598387,00.html
http://www.happycow.net/raw/raw_living.html

27-02-2006
V.I.P.

I eat 75-80% raw food (fruits and veggies) and 20-25% cooked (baked potato, whole grain breads pastas,etc..). I find that it is great!

tfs star

I love raw veggies and nuts, I could live on the stuff...but to rule out everythign else is so impractical, really. You feel so much more energy when you eat more fresh and unprocessed foods though.

Totakeke, it's wonderful that you intend to kick your bad habits, but to go from Coke and fried foods to a raw-food diet may be extreme...? I mean, you don't want to rebound, and your body may suffer symptoms. I think going macrobiotic for a few months, or at least vegan or vegetarian, is recommended first.

27-02-2006
front row

You don't have to go 100% raw. It is just about incorporating as much raw food into your diet as you are comfortable with.

You will probably go through detox. But that is just the body cleaning itself, and you should try to think of it as a good thing! Whenever you get sick, that is also your body cleaning itself out. The worst thing people do is take medicine, which just represses the illness.

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/forum/index.php

http://www.rawfood.com/forum/ultimatebb.php

27-02-2006
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonchic
I eat 75-80% raw food (fruits and veggies) and 20-25% cooked (baked potato, whole grain breads pastas,etc..). I find that it is great!
That's about where I stand, as well.

27-02-2006
rising star

Anabel - Thanks!

Melisande - Oh no, I'm not gonna go cold turkey overnight but I've totally eliminated Diet Coke from my meals (it makes me jittery anyway, I don't know why I kept drinking it anyway). Right now, I'm trying to eat less meat, maybe slowly, some cooked veggies and hopefully, after a while, raw veggies and fruits and stuff.

01-03-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totakeke
Anabel - Thanks!

Melisande - Oh no, I'm not gonna go cold turkey overnight but I've totally eliminated Diet Coke from my meals (it makes me jittery anyway, I don't know why I kept drinking it anyway). Right now, I'm trying to eat less meat, maybe slowly, some cooked veggies and hopefully, after a while, raw veggies and fruits and stuff.
Yay, sounds like a great plan!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
foods, raw