How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-09-2006
front row

i think the most practical and effective path to a healthy diet is to concentrate on eating a variety of organic whole foods, one good tool is to color code fruits and veggies so you get a complete balance of nutrients, i do think the raw food diet is a lil fadish but if people eat more produce good for them, i like salads but even in my salads i will add seared salmon etc. to spice it up a bit, for the most part though i just eat whats appealing to me and energizing, though i'm a pescatarian i try not to be too restrictive beyond that, i was vegan and vegatarian for years and the rules became too religious in nature so i just went for what my body craved and responded to, it should be that simple

08-09-2006
fashion insider

It isn't that simple because a lot of vegans and vegetarians believe that you should take responsibility for the wellfare of other animals on this planet, not just ourselves so by giving in to cravings of eating meat you're just causing more suffering for the sake of one food product.

I personally get really hungry when I just eat raw foods, maybe I just haven't found the right ones yet.

I don't like eating fish because of all the chemicals dumped into the sea and lakes and the nature of artificial fish farming, so I don't see how you can eat organic food and then eat something like salmon..personally

09-09-2006
backstage pass

i can't eat raw fruits and vegetables in any season except summer.
i used to have a remarkable digestive system... until i got an e-coli & giardia infection.
now if i eat a raw apple - i am sick for 3 days. same with salads.
it's daft!!!

so while i think increasing raw fruits & veggies is a good idea,
i'd still exercise some caution.

even if you aren't ill like me -

breaking down and digesting raw foods takes a lot of internal 'fire' to do so... and if you're low on 'fire' for whatever reason (including adrenal exhaustion, thyroid problems) - then eating raw might make you ill.

my 2cents

front row

so eating wild salon is bad ethically or nutritionally, i dont get what you are saying???

Quote:
Originally Posted by misssakura
It isn't that simple because a lot of vegans and vegetarians believe that you should take responsibility for the wellfare of other animals on this planet, not just ourselves so by giving in to cravings of eating meat you're just causing more suffering for the sake of one food product.

I personally get really hungry when I just eat raw foods, maybe I just haven't found the right ones yet.

I don't like eating fish because of all the chemicals dumped into the sea and lakes and the nature of artificial fish farming, so I don't see how you can eat organic food and then eat something like salmon..personally
:

09-09-2006
Bel
front row

I eat lots of raw fruit and veggies, I don't like cooked vegetables very much.
But I eat chicken, fish, sometimes red meat but not much.
Some foods become more nutritious after cooking, such as eggs.
I think the most important think about this diet is that the food is unprocessed, not so much that it's uncooked.

09-09-2006
fashion insider

I think ethically AND nutritionally it doesn't make sense in today's world to eat salmon. Stocks are depleted, other animals need to eat salmon, it causes pollution and drains the eco-system, wreaking havoc on the oceans, lakes and rivers. There are good alternative for omega-3 oils that don't screw up our planet quite so badly imo. Most of the rivers and oceans are badly polluted from human waste, illegal toxic dumping, factory by-product...also the fact that any sort of fishing doesn't use skilled catching methods, just drag nets which aren't exclusive to the sort of wildlife caught.

I just think that because salmon and all other kinds of fish are filled full of chemicals and other nasties, and because it does affect the environment as much as it does, it doesn't make sense to eat it if you give a damn about your body and the world around you...

16-09-2006
V.I.P.

Personally I think if you're going to eat fish only eat Sardines because they have the lowest level of mercury since they don't get big enough Prince of the Sea brand is best (I think you can order them off of Amazon.com)

V.I.P.

Well I am a sardine fiend so that is a good tip Bonchic.

However I am coming round this raw food thing. Except when I go to my parents our out to a restaurant, I am eating ONLY fruit and nuts and veg. It is so easy and shopping is easy too because instead of going to Morrisons or Waitrose aisle by aisle, I just need to go to the fruit bit. I am in and out of there in like 5 mins now. AND I don't miss anything. Meat a bit but I'll still have meat once a week. It is GREAT. I don't feel hungry at all.

This is a good article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4389837.stm

I HATE the misconceptions perpetuated by the food industry that you NEED dairy to get enough calcium and protein etc. It is patent balls. Most people don't know that you have enough carbs you need in veggies... you don't need frickin sugar overloaded cereal. And people don't know that protein you get in natural products is far better assimilated than from meat products.

Raw foodism is like an epiphany. I am eating less calories but my hair is so strong right now.

18-01-2007
V.I.P.

Ok my dentist says I am still getting too much sugar on a fruit/nut diet. Now I don't know what to do. Can anyone help?

18-01-2007
Naturellement pulpeuse

Cut down on fruit, I had to because the amount of fruit I was eating was ruining my teeth by calcifying them. (You can tell if this is happened because the teeth look whiter than is natural.)

Roasted scallops, fricassee of squid, assiette of suckling pig, breast of Gressingham duck, braised halibut, vichyssoise of haddock, warm calf liver salad = good reasons not to live on a raw diet.

Last edited by PrinceOfCats; 18-01-2007 at 04:20 AM.
18-01-2007
V.I.P.

^ Erm eww? None of that sounded very appetising... ok the calf liver but then I am a sucker for entrails of varying sorts.

I am not going to get to 48kg on that diet for sure.

18-01-2007
fashion insider

Always eat with somebody who eats way more than you. That way, you get less food on your plate.

19-01-2007
rising star

I just recently started a "raw vegan" diet and it's been going great.

I'm really lazy so i've been having my meals shipped weekly from rawlifeline.com,the food is exquisite and affordable!I still incorporate some organic fruits and veggies of my own between each meal for snacking.

20-01-2007
V.I.P.

^What were you before? A veggie? or have you just jumped in from a regular modern diet?

I swear all this fruit and nut is giving me a runny tummy. The pains I go through for my body is unbelievable.

20-01-2007
V.I.P.

Oh and Kaleigh, will you give us an idea of what the company who ships you food, gives you? Like a menu idea. Just so we know what percentage of food groups to incorporate.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
foods, raw