How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-12-2003
backstage pass

Retin A Micro
I don't have horrible acne, but I do get pimples from time to time. My friends who have used this all now have flawless complexions and I want one too! I have seen that your face usually gets red and peely for about a week and then your skin completely clears up.

Has anyone here used it? If so, what were your side effects, how long did it take to work, did it work...

thanks guys,

lil

Ps: I have fairly sensitive oily skin, if that helps.

18-12-2003
yes

Vida......i also have sensitive and sometimes oily skin......

to be honest........retin-a doesnt do an awful lot for the skin......it just seems to peel the very very top layer off like candy floss......it kinda stings too

18-12-2003
backstage pass

theres a lot of different great prescriptions you can try, you just have to find one that works for your skin. retin a can be harsh. i personally recommend one called duac. talk to a dermatologist.

18-12-2003
front row

Vida, try taking vitamins. I promise you your skin will clear in no time.

18-12-2003
backstage pass

My friend tried it and it worked for like the first month then her pimples came back and her face got really red and gross looking

19-12-2003
& b

I've never used it. But Proactiv has worked for me very well... the thing about skncare for acne is, that there are soo many different skin types, meaning that what works for me, it doesn't necesarily has to work for you ...

backstage pass

ok, my two cents on retin A acne treatments --

i use Tazorac myself and its like a miracle drug. ive been using it for about a year now and my complexion is flawless now which i never thought would be possible. people keep saying that all it does it peel your skin -- well yeah thats what its supposed to do. you get pimples because when the dead skin and sebum in your pores get infected with backteria -- so inturn you get the raised red spot known as the dreaded pimple. retin a treatments help becuase they shed the skin faster thus less chance of dead skin getting into your pores that could get infected and turn into pimples. retin a treatments are preventative medicine, so they dont actually kill the zit them selves which is usually why a dermatolgist should prescribe some kind of topical antibiotic also

if you have had really bad experieces like your face peeling too much or never getting better most likely you need to decrease the frequency or the amoutn u use. when you start off your only supposed to use them every other day for the first 2 weeks at the most. ive known some people that were told to do it every third day and then gradually eevry second, every otehr and then every day. the amount you use is really importnat too. if you use too much you'll probably overdry your face. its different for different people. i use about a pea size amount for my enitre face. if i use more i get overdryed. also since myc skin is flawless now i've decreased to every other day. so all these people complaining need to step back and see if they need to do any of these things before downing retin a treatments.

when i first started i was very very dry but use Purpose face moisturizer. unfortunatke it gets worse before it gets better but, all i can say is hang in there cuz you will defintly see results

my dad's a dermatologist sorry lol

22-12-2003
backstage pass

pro activ i heard works really really well on some people too. just didnt work for me. seriously, its whatever works best for you

28-12-2003
windowshopping

My skin is just like yours. I use retina micro... but it works best with another acne medication. Topical is good.
;)

02-04-2005
windowshopping

Can I Use Retin A Forever!
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on the wonder cream Retin A. Im probably the old woman of the forum, Im 42 and have been using this cream for 10 years. I originally used it to eliminate acne scarring, pimples and the beginnings of wrinkles, the stuff has done a brillian job, though I look hideous for 6 weeks of the year, the 3 times a year I do it.

Im big into skin, probably because I worked in make-up, skin and hair and have always used good products, stayed out of the sun etc. At 42 I have no wrinkles which I put down to this cream mainly and genetics. What is concerning me is this? Has anyone had long-term experience with this cream, or seen anyone who used it long-term? Can we keep burning off the epidermis with this cream and not have any bad effects? I know the dermis continually grows but this stuff does really wipe out your top layers. My skin is definately sensitive, I have to stay out of the sun and there is only a handful of products I can use that donot burn my skin. That has been o.k. because I dont want to bake my face and as long as their not to potent Im o.k. It seems that the effects of this cream only last for 4 months or so and them I get the spots again and little wrinkles appear so I go in with it again. I know I probably sound like a freak but when your in your 40's you want to hold on to what you have and this cream has been wonderful but Im worried that one day my skin will be like paper. Is there anyone out there who has first hand experience with this cream. Web sites only tell you about it - not the longterm effects of it. Any idea's or even other products would be appreciated. Thanks - Monique

04-04-2005
windowshopping

well, i can't really give any advice, but i'm probably going to try retin-a-micro for pimples soon. however, i'm really curious as to what your skin looks like and i'd be very thankful if you could post a picture or two? thanks

04-04-2005
windowshopping

Hi V.Happy,

One of these days I'll work out how to put pitures on here and then I can give you one. I started using this stuff when I first went into the cosmetic business. I had post acne scarring, large pores and uneven skin tone. Over the years it has erased all acne scarring, refined pores and evened skin tone, though I still get outbreaks if Im off it too long. The down side is plese be careful when you start this treatment and dont be suprised if your skin looks dreadful for 3 months. (nO pain - no gain). I found the cream much better on my skin than the gel. I'll give you some tips that I hope will help.

1. Use a good basic cleaner that will not aggrevate the skin
2. Dont use any other treatments while on Retin A (no masks etc) can further burn the skin and irritate.
3. Stay out of sun!
4. Only use lukewarm water on face and pat dry (DO NOT RUB - will aggrevate).
5. Expect redness, dryness, servere flaking, some burning
6. Dont use directly under eyes
7. Get a good basic emolient protective (e.g Ella Bache cream intex is excellent while using retin A (calms skin and hydrates)
8. Stay away from products with strong chemicals
9. Buy a big hat to wear while in treatment

Please let me know how you go

04-04-2005
V.I.P.

EEEK IT BURNS OFF THE EPIDERMIS

MY GOD I'M NOT GOING NEAR THE STUFF!!!!

04-04-2005
windowshopping

Yer, it can be pretty dangerous stuff if you dont use it properly. Im talking here about prescription only retin A which is tretinoin 500mg. Remember you can buy plenty of safer alternatives in an already emolient base with only 3mg. I call this stuff the "heavy duty Bulldozer" of my arsenal. A lot of people only use it on spots, Im talking about all over the face - wrinkle eliminator so yer its much harsher. Lots of people prefer fruit acids etc anyway. I didn't mean to scare anyone off it. I do think it has its place and it can be a very useful product as long as people use it properly and protect themselves. The worst problem seems to be what I have witnessed working in salons where clients have used it without being taught how to use it properly and have gone into the sun. I suppose we should remember it was originally designed for acne and the result was they found evidence that it did infact take out wrinkles at the same time. What I have found though is that at the end of the treatment you really have to re-boost your skin and spend quite a bit on nthe right products to do it. Its an interesting product though and I really hope to hear from people that have use it long-term and their results and any problems they may have had.

05-04-2005
V.I.P.

oh k

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
retina