How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-09-2009
In other words

Rag & Bone

Source: style.com

13-09-2009
In other words

Alexander Wang

Altuzarra

Source: nymag.com

13-09-2009
In other words

Karen Walker

United Bamboo

Source: nymag.com

13-09-2009
In other words

Vena Cava Goes Deep For Spring
Quote:
Vena Cava Goes Deep For Spring
September 11, 2009

When we made our way to the second floor of Milk Studios for Vena Cava, our first backstage encounter at the revamped venue, we were greeted by an unexpected sight. Models were walking between the hair and makeup stations sporting deep violet pouts, a hue that tends to be included in the fall color palette more so than spring. Makeup doesn’t have to be seasonal,” makeup artist Lloyd Simmonds explained of the custom color he created using four different shades of MAC Pro Lipmix in White, Burgundy, Red, and Blue. Unwilling to make the call that darker lip shades will persist into next year (”this is my first show!” he quipped), Simmonds did mention that his motivation to stray from the pastel lilacs more suitable to the season had little to do with a desire to break the mold and was actually a direct correlation with the collection itself. “It comes from the clothes,” he said of the color, which he kept matte for a touch of sophistication, a word hairstylist Ted Gibson also used to describe his coifs. Gibson called his messy chignons “sophisticated chic. Not too put-together, put still put-together,” a dichotomy he achieved by twisting the models’ ponytails before pinning them into buns and pulling pieces out in the back for texture. The nails were a similar mix of business casual, a turquoise/cobalt shade Butter London’s Nonie Creme whipped up especially for the occasion. “We’re calling it Corporate Blue,” she said of the bright lacquer, a reference to the background color of a Staples ad the designers sent her way for a point of reference. It’s all about finding inspiration in the everyday, no?
Photo: Paul Morigi / Wire Image; Marcio Madeira
Source: style.com/beauty/beautycounter

13-09-2009
In other words

A Small Piece Of Funkified Flair Backstage At Rag & Bone

Quote:
A Small Piece Of Funkified Flair Backstage At Rag & Bone
September 12, 2009

The backstage story at Rag & Bone is essentially the same very year. The hair and makeup team of Teddy Charles for Frédéric Fekkai and Revlon’s Gucci Westman are out to create the quintessential Rag & Bone girl: “rock and roll, sexy, laid back,” as Charles put it at yesterday’s show. In beauty terms, that translates to rough and tousled hair, which Charles created using a few spritzes of Fekkai Tousled Wave Spray to make hair piece-y and Fekkai Au Naturel Dry Shampoo for a matte finish, and makeup that “enhances the girls’ natural features,” said Westman, who crafted a matte brown eye and a matte nude lip, which she added to a canvas of “squeaky clean skin.” This season, Westman also incorporated a “British bit” to the overall look, a touch of irreverent London street style to remind designers David Neville and Marcus Wainwright of home. Hence the acid yellow nail, a surprising embellishment that seemed to work well with the label’s utilitarian feel. Less surprising was the bottle of neon lacquer used for the effect: that would be Essie’s Funky Limelight, your favorite neon chartreuse and mine.
Photo: Courtesy of Essie; Don Ashby

13-09-2009
trendsetter

Great nails!

In other words

At Jason Wu, The Statement Lip Continues To Dominate

Quote:
At Jason Wu, The Statement Lip Continues To Dominate
September 12, 2009

Alright. We may only be three days into the spring shows, but we’re going to go ahead and call it: the Statement Lip is here to stay, with the season’s predictable nudes and sheer pastel glosses being replaced by the deep, opulent pouts popular for Fall. Lucia Pieroni’s handiwork backstage at Jason Wu yesterday sealed the deal. In an attempt to recreate a “Tim Burton girl with big, simple sparkling eyes and amazing lips,” Pieroni came up with three different lip shades, each more decadent then the last. Some girls got a shade of wine, which Pieroni painted on using MAC PRO Lipmix in Burgundy, others got a blood red courtesy of MAC Lip Pencil in Brick and Lipstick in Classic Dame, and a lucky few walked the runway sporting a dark plum shade crafted using MAC Lip Pencil in Currant and Lipstick in Media. Pieroni kept the eyes light and more traditionally Spring-like to showcase the lip, patting MAC’s new Crushed Metal Pigment on top of a “soft wash” of taupe-y brown shadows. The combination provided a young sophistication that worked well with Odile Gilbert’s Minnie Mouse inspired chignons. “If you go too much into perfection, you can look a bit old,” Gilbert said as she took sections of hair and spontaneously looped them over a piece of black tulle for what resembled a beautiful, haphazard bow concoction. “Today, it’s about looking cute, funny, and attractive.” Let it be known.
Photo: Marcio Madeira

13-09-2009
fashion icon

I thought the makeup for Jason Wu complemented the clothes really well

14-09-2009
In other words

Derek Lam

Source: style.com and elle.fr

14-09-2009
V.I.P.

I love that Derek Lam makeup, I'm really into that whole pastel overexaggerated eye. The Rag & Bone nails though-I love them, but I have Funky Limelight and I can honestly say it's the most difficult nail polish ever-and I've used glitter polishes which are tough.

I think I confidently can put yellow eye makeup as another big trend continuing into the spring.

14-09-2009
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeFrancoise View Post
Why so very orange? It's not even like it's slightly orange.
Here is the explanation:

Quote:
Erin Wasson ordered up a gritty-pretty backstage beauty look: “girls who have been out in the desert, have gotten all dusty, and have had too much sun,” explained makeup artist Charlotte Willer, who was charged with creating a fake-baking effect equipped with downtown sentimentality. To simulate a tan, Willer brushed Maybelline New York Dream Liquid Mousse all over models’ skin and topped that off with some mineral powder for sheen.

we were in love

14-09-2009
In other words

Diane von Furstenberg

Source: nymag.com and style.com

14-09-2009
In other words

Tuleh

Quote:
MAKEUP: All makeup by M.A.C. "I thought about how a teenager would do her version of 'adult' makeup," explained Osmond. That translated to lots of pink! Eye Shadow in Rosy Outlook and Perky, anchored with Fluidline in Dip Down (a chocolate brown) along the lashes. "The skin in very matte; I used Invisible Set Powder in the T-Zone." Lips got bubblegum pink in the form of a new color coming out this spring (it's not even named yet!) and the M.A.C. Pro Pink Lip Line.

NAILS: NYC natural spa Priti has a new color coming out this spring: Crocus; a sheer, pearlescent gold/yellow that debuted at this show.
Source: style.com, daylife.com, and stylelist.com

14-09-2009
VSFS 2009!

Derek Lam had beautiful make-up!

14-09-2009
In other words

Carolina Herrera

Quote:
MAKEUP ARTIST: Diane Kendal for MAC
MAKEUP: All makeup by MAC. Dust Retrospect over lid for a creamy base, and accent with Down Brown in the crease and outer corners. Finish with Fluidline Eye Liner in Blacktrack and a couple coats of black mascara. Twig lipstick gives the lips a natural, feminine glow.

Source: style.com and stylelist.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
10, makeup, runway, s or s