How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-02-2007
Storm & Sommer

Face Off
London's fashion cliques connect—and compete—at Boombox
February 9, 2007 style.com

Quote:
London is back on a fashion high it hasn't experienced for a decade. A new cohort of a dozen contenders for serious international attention is taking to the runway this week, but as ever in this city, the real story is the exploding subculture that's fueling all the creativity. The source of the optimistic energy ricocheting between designers' studios and the clubs can chiefly be tracked down to Boombox, run by Richard Mortimer at the Hoxton Square Bar & Kitchen in the East End on Sundays. Here, Central Saint Martins student sybarites, drag queens, and young designers compete in a weekly spectacle of outdress-thy-neighbor, taking shoestring-budget sartorial customization—and incredible feats of makeup—to almost editorial levels of innovation.

Their self-appointed photographic chronicler—here, there, and at every other club night worth looking at—is the super-talented Alistair Allan, who posts his beautifully composed, color-saturated close-in head shots on his daily-changing Web site Dirtydirtydancing.com. "I think the reason these clubs are so creative is because it's all the fashion kids hanging out trying to be more extravagant or better dressed than anyone else," said Allan. "It's really competitive, but in a fun and friendly way."

A skim through his catalog shows trends rising, changing, and skewing off in dozens of individualistic directions. Week by week, the tame notion of "eye makeup" has evolved into wildly colorful and meticulous face painting. Lately, long feather eyelashes and demi-veils. Mini-crazes swirl around, from a knowing referencing of the forties-meets-eighties to an army-uniformed WWII vibe. Infinite numbers of things are done with bows, ties, cravats, and ribbons. Pink Dynel wigs are bubbling under. And huge lens-less glasses are yet another side trend.

Boombox's clientele is the opposite of the C-list celebs and drunken footballers' wives who infest the supposedly swanky clubs of the West End, but the door code is strict. "The general rule is you've got to be with a regular to get in. It makes it a communal club night, where everyone is connected, unlike these superclubs where everybody is a stranger," said Allan. Vogue's Edward Enninful and star makeup artist Pat McGrath (who takes her own camera) have a permanent open sesame. "It's really influential," said Enninful. "Some of my stories start there."

Next up: When London fashion week's after-hour festivities wrap, the Boombox phenomenon will be airlifted to Milan. For one night only, Hoxton's regulars will get to light up Italian fashion week, courtesy of a Pitti Immagine trade show initiative. Gray old Milano should brace itself.
–Sarah Mower

all images style.com

pinterest : hanneonpin

14-02-2007
Storm & Sommer

more..

all images style.com

05-03-2007
Storm & Sommer

All pictures from dirtydirtydancing

Ed Banger Gets DZD 27th February

Radical Friends 2 March

Jodie Harsh Birtday 2 March

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

05-03-2007
Storm & Sommer

All pictures from dirtydirtydancing

Antisocial 3rd March

Boombox 4th March

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

05-03-2007
Meg
inspired contemplation

ah boombox. i loathe it but some of the looks pictured here are cool. I like the idea of a place where you can go and just have a crazy face on but in reality it really isn't that 'friendly'. I'm not sure how i feel about the oversaturation/airbrushed quality of the photos but it's interesting. edited to say the first picture on the right of the girl with the headband makes me think of our own susie

Last edited by Meg; 05-03-2007 at 07:43 PM.
05-03-2007
Bel
front row

I LOVE it.

05-03-2007
fashion elite

It looks awesome but it also looks like so much effort and maintenence problems for a few hours!

05-03-2007
Meg
inspired contemplation

the only one i really like is the balenciaga reference one from the 4th March. ruthie they prob. don't look as good in person since these photos are heavily saturated/retouched. though some of them i'm sure do.

06-03-2007
fashion insider

I do not know how to acclaim these magnificent looks!!

unknown
08-03-2007
front row

style.com

this is the only one that i found impressive. the rest just annoy me.

13-03-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fashion
I do not know how to acclaim these magnificent looks!!
photoshop.

too cool for school?

15-03-2007
tfs star

The pictures must be touched up. Oherwise it isn't fair that my make up goes runny and smudgy and my skin doesn't look like that on nights out!

15-03-2007
tea time

Quote:
"The general rule is you've got to be with a regular to get in. It makes it a communal club night, where everyone is connected, unlike these superclubs where everybody is a stranger,"
I find this really pretentious whats wrong with meeting strangers and new people, some fresh blood and new make-up ideas.

I do love all the looks though its great to see people can have fun with make-up on a night out, most i see is alot of black liquid liner.

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
30-03-2007
Storm & Sommer

Melbourn, Australia..

pic: http://blogs.theage.com.au/thirdbest/
(posted by Twill Bill in the Australian Street Style thread)

02-11-2007
backstage pass

how fun is the makeup =) ! makes me smile!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
make, scene