How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-12-2005
scenester

scoliosis interefering with your height
Who here has gained height or lost height as a result of scoliosis?
what kind of scoliosis did you have, and was it able to be corrected so you could reach your actual height?

scoliosis is strange because i've heard so many conflicting concepts of it. some professionals say you can indeed correct it with the right treatment, such as chiro., and other says it won't change because it somehow can't. i think it can since bones are meant to move around and be flexible. Either way, it appears that scoliosis should be corrected because it's been documented to worsen later in life.
what do you all think?

25-12-2005
daisy in my lazy eye

Oh.. there's this therapy, it has the name Alexander in it I think, but I've heard that it can correct scoliosises. It has been mentioned here before. My personal therapist says she's able to do it herself too but that it's a tough process but I really want to get rid of this stupid twist ... I think in my case it's a matter of 2/3/4 cms. I could be 5'10"

I'd like to know what causes scoliosis according to the scientists

25-12-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlefine
I'd like to know what causes scoliosis according to the scientists
Bad/wrong poisture, I suppose...?

25-12-2005
V.I.P.

Too late to edit, so here I am...

Some time after I typed that I realized that I actually know of an example where it wasn't poisture... My own that is... Apparently I managed to forget even that...

The thing is, in my case scoliosis has an orthopedic nature... When your feet are not in the right position it affects the position of your hips, which, subsequently, affects the position of your spine... So, I suggest checking up with an orthopedic, cause you may not even know something isn't right as I hadn't...

And, Yes, I believe scoliosis does interfere with your height.

26-12-2005
fashion icon

Well I have scoliosis, but considering my parents are both short, I think I was always bound to be short. The only thing that was it has affected is the curvature of my hips. On one side of my body I have a beautiful curvy, womanly shape and on the other side its' very straight, like a boys shape. I would love to correct that, but I think I"m stuck like that forever.

dlg

26-12-2005
windowshopping

I'm 29 and had surgery for scoliosis when I was 16. I had a huuuge double curve and NOTHING I tried (from the age of 11 when it was first diagnosed and onwards) did anything to help it....and I tried everything.

I tried chiropractors, all types of braces and all types of exersise. I'd be very weary of all those people that claim that they can correct scoliosis.

I always had an exellent posture as well since I was a ballet dancer and despite my huge curve people couldn't really tell that anything was wrong. Scoliosis is genetic and probably herediatary. Nobody really knows why it happens but the posture thing is a myth. If it was all about bad posture, half the planet would have crooked backs.

As far as height is concerned, when I had my surgery I instantly gained 5 cm (sorry, don't know what it is in inches). I still have a smallish curve left that is probably reducing my height at about 3 cm. I'm 1.68 and would probably be around 1.71 if it wasn't for that. However, scoliosis won't make you shorter than you're genetically predisposed to be . It only takes inches out of our back and this becomes a problem only when your curvatures are severe. If someone has a big scoliosis issue, I believe height will be the least of his worries anyway.

27-12-2005
scenester

only inches? how you can u be so sure it would only reduce that much height?

scoliosis, from what i've gathered, can be caused my muscles and fascia pulling the bones out of place, as well as the bones not growing in proper alignment due to the fact that they are being hindered my tight muscles or poor nutrition or lack of strength to simply stay in place. This is called a functional scoliosis, where it can happen to anyone due to circumstances, and there's a chance of it being corrected if taken care of in different circumstances. Back braces rarely help in this type because the muscles will worsen, since the brace will increase the lack of mobility and tightness the muscles already suffer from. I'm hoping there'll be others out there wanting to share their recovery stories.

structural scoliosis is where you may be born with it, where the bones are deformed and grow in a deformed or dysfunctional fashion and can't really be moved because that's how their made to be. you may not have any pain or muscle pulling, it may just be the way your bones want to grow and mold together. I'd like to know which type of scoliosis is most common.

is the service you refer to called the Alexander Technique?

my scoliosis bothers me because it makes my one shoe wear done more on one side than the other, causing my shoes to become unusuable and worthless and it makes my right side heavier, literally, than my left. My weight shifts by about 8pounds to my right, when i put both feet on seperate scales. my right side of neck leans lower than left causing intense muscle cramping. Scary indeed. i hope to find the right treatment.

Last edited by it's happening; 27-12-2005 at 02:08 AM.
29-12-2005
scenester

keep postin...

29-12-2005
windowshopping

Nonstructural scoliosis, is reversible and is caused by things like leg length.Structural scoliosis is irreversible. It may be caused by an injury or infection or its cause may be unknown (idiopathic).

I can't be of much help because my case was idiopathic and was only 'cured' by spinal surgery and a metal rod. However, after the surgery, my hips were uneaven because my body had a 'memory' of what it used to be. So my doctor said I should practice the corrrect hip possition in front of the mirror until my body finds the correct spot. It was fixed in months. I don't know if this method can be applied with nonstructural.

I still have a slight curve and what has helped me immencely is yoga. It helps harmonise the body and gets rid of all the muscle cramping caused by the curve.

Last edited by citron; 29-12-2005 at 06:09 AM.
29-12-2005
front row

I have a light case of scolosis myself. what my doctor told me is: with regular special exersice I can strenghten the needed muscels sufficently so that they can kind of hold my spin in the correct position, but that one cannot heal scoliosis. so that the moment I stop excersise my spine will go back to the unhealthy position.
from my own experience I can only say that this is true - at least for my case. I also got specials shoe inserts (which are dreadfull because they don't into most nice shoes) which corrected my feet and hence also did some good for the spine.
I stopped the special excersie, and changed to yoga & pilates which also does the trick for me.

Meg
inspired contemplation

It's weird. I just remembered yesterday that I had been diagnosed with scolioses. I thought it was quite common? It doesn't affect me painwise or anything.....I wasn't even diagnosed until I was 17 or so and I was at the doctor's for something else and he said 'you have scoliosis you know' and I said 'no....I didn't' and i had been to chiro's and things before. The feet thing seems to make sense though....i was extremely pigeon-toed as a child....had to wear braces and the whole bit....i just have an extremely curved back. Not necessarily a 'hump' or anything but the curve of my lower back is quite deep.

29-12-2005
backstage pass

diagnosed at 10 w/ a 25degree curve
wore a milwaukee brace for 5 years
went down to 20degrees

BUT THEN
i got a second curve in upper back
AND it started rotating too...
which really pissed me off b/c the doctors had told me it wouldn't progress.

so i deal with chronic pain
and my ribs pop out of place from time to time.

Pilates helps immensely
Yoga helps
Massage and 'Chiro' helps me too (i used to pay for chiro, but now my husband cracks my back from time to time)
and i've got an inversion table that helps a bit.

i find when i take Silicea gel internally, the pain lessens.. which i didn't expect.

i've been told that i'd gain 2-3 inches if my pain was straightened.

in my case it's hereditary.. my half-sister and paternal cousin have it as well - but mine's worse.

scenester

This has been fascinating, id love to hear more stories.

Nonstructural scoliosis, is reversible and is caused by things like leg length? Where did you get this from, and what length is causing it --one leg to short or too long? How can it be reversed into normalcy?

is your husband licensed to adjust u?
in my case, both of my legs are the same length, barey any noticable difference. My pelvic bones are rotated and my ribs, too, pop out of place periodically, and feel like they're bulging out or weighing heavier one my right side. It yanks on my muscles dramatically and causes intense, bizarre pain sensations.

Exercising has been difficult because it causes pain or ends up strengthening areas that are already too strong. I would love to find a free trainer who'd guide me and personalize a very specialized exercise routine, as i've been warned against taking ANY type of class since it doesn't focus on personal abilities.

30-12-2005
windowshopping

http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/hw72376

...but it's best to talk to a good doctor.

30-12-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by it's happening
Exercising has been difficult because it causes pain or ends up strengthening areas that are already too strong. I would love to find a free trainer who'd guide me and personalize a very specialized exercise routine, as i've been warned against taking ANY type of class since it doesn't focus on personal abilities.
that's exactly why my doctor gave me the adress of a physiotherapist. they do special training with you (no classes) to strenghten exactly the needed muscels. it would be really best if you get a good doctor and talk it over with him/her.
anyway I think one can also get pilates - which is in first place a method of physiotherapy which became later popular because it also makes a flat belly - with a personal trainer.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
height, interefering, scoliosis