How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-03-2004
tfs star

Semi-Permanent / Henna Tattoos
I friend of mine recently told me about a special type of tattoo that only lasts a couple years before fading away. She lives in England and has a bizzare sense of humor, so I dunno if she was bullshitting me or not, or if it's availible in the USA. Help would be greatly appriciated

24-03-2004
backstage pass

No I don't think it's true. When I was researching tattoos (before I got one myself) there were websites warning against these rumours.

24-03-2004
V.I.P.

Well, there's always henna, which lasts a while.

25-03-2004
rising star

The only kinds of ink that will fade at that rate have nasty carcinogens in them. Avoid "temporary" tattoos.

25-03-2004
V.I.P.

A girl that goes to my school got one of those hennas last summer at the fair. It looked very authentic at first, but after a few weeks she looked dirty in that one spot.

I also know some kids that have given themselves temporary tattoos with a safety pin and a pen...

25-03-2004
windowshopping

kids at my school give themselves tatoos with this ink we use in art (they steal the bottles of it) and then they us hot pins.

25-03-2004
offline.

Mine are pretty permanent.

25-03-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Mar 25th, 2004 - 7:41 pm
I also know some kids that have given themselves temporary tattoos with a safety pin and a pen...

29-05-2006
V.I.P.

Henna Tattoos
So I was wondering if anyone else is into the whole henna tattoo thing. Let me tell you, I am! It's a great thing to have in the summer, and it's getting easier and easier to do it yourself.

Anyone have any recommendations of henna products/books/kits that they use? My personal recommendation is the Earth Henna kit. It's about $15 but the nice thing is that you get an applicator bottle where you put the henna after you've mixed it and it has a cap with a really, really skinny tip which is good for fine details.

01-06-2006
backstage pass

gosh i wish i did know... i love it too
hope someone has answers

tfs star

I cant remember which brands I used, but I got some at Hot Topic and I was OBSESSED with henna! My friends would all ask for me to give them some henna tattoos. I think olive oil makes them last longer.

Fierce Flava

^ What do you do to the olive oil? Apply it to the tattoo everyday like moisturizer?

08-08-2006
V.I.P.

Oh, WOW . . . how, FUN, FUN, FUN!!! . . . OMG, this is a nice little trip down memory lane for me . . . my "Bollywood" phase/obsession that to this day, still lingers . . . but not quite as extreme . . . and let me tell you I didn't stop at the Henna, I had the full-on ear-to-nose, and mid-parted hair jewel down-to-forehead (I don't really know the name) and the hand jewels . . . and bindis galore . . . anyway, sorry, I got a little too excited there . . .
. . . but the best products to use, are the ones straight from the source . . . if you live in a major city, look through your directory guide for either an indian grocery or any indian store and inquire to see if they carry any henna products or if they can recommend a place where you can get it from, and see if they sell the tubes (I can't really tell you the brand that I've used as I honestly couldn't read it ~ it was recommended by the store owner). Anyway, those are the most potent, with stronger pigments . . . which means that your design will come out more prominent, and the ink stays longer on the skin . . . if you so happen to come across one, a little trick I was taught for longer staying power: after you're finished with the design/application . . . take a lemon and squeeze the citrus over your hand, then wait till the henna dries a bit, then take a clear plastic saran-wrap (or whatever you use in the kitchen), and wrap it around your hand or arm, or wherever you applied the henna on, and keep it wrapped over night. (make sure it's wrapped tightly, and be careful not to smear your design). In the morning, wash off the henna, and Viola! This is what was instructed to me by my local merchant, and it worked for me in terms of lasting power (expect 2-3 weeks before the fading period begins). . .
Oh, and Sephora Socialite, since you're from LA . . . if you're close by Cerritos/Artesia, or if you're near by there, make sure to drop by Pioneer Blvd . . . . it's Henna, Sari, Curry heaven! If you need directions, just PM me . . . . . . . oh, lastly, in case some of you didn't know, "henna" is also good for the hair, very moisturing and deep conditioning . . . so, if your tresses are in need of some tender & loving care, and if you can get a hold of the "henna" shampoo, it does wonders . . .

02-04-2010
backstage pass

Resurrecting this thread!

I'm absolutely infatuated with mehndi (henna)! Been practicing the traditional Indian and Moroccan symbols to make patterns with. Such an ancient art, lovely to see it still exists today.

Here are some scans I just did from a book I'm reading, Mehndi : The Timeless Art of Henna Painting by Loretta Roome. I'd really recommend the book, by the way, if want to learn more, it's quite rich with information and inspiration.

My favorites.

rock-chic

I did my hands with mehndi when I got married. I got the pre-printed designs from Bombay Stores in Bradford, and from what I remember, you apply them to wet hands and when they are fully dry, you remove the excess powder. I loved the look of it and it lasted about a week until finally washing/wearing off.
With henna, avoid getting the black henna temporary tattoos as they can cause an allergic reaction which can lead to scarring. The browny-red henna is absolutely fine.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
henna, semipermanent, tattoos