How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-12-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Borneo 1834 is really nice; the patchouli is not sweet and heavy, but herbal and aromatic. The combination of cocoa and patchouli is interesting!

I haven't worn Noire so can't comment on it.

demimondaine, I like Lush's Cynthia Sylvia Stout shampoo; I find that the smell of it complements the amber-y, oriental smoky leathery scents very nicely!
finally sniffed borneo 1834 and serge noire. liked the latter a lot more than the former. have also purchased the cynthia sylvia stout shampoo and LOVE it! thanks tangerine! still haven't been able to find MKK or the turkish delight fragrance, but want to try them out. ambre sultan might be my next purchase.

17-01-2009
don't look down

I had a 'Petit Livre' years ago, but as the range has greatly extended since that time, I got around to requesting a new one a fortnight ago. It arrived today, with a handwritten note from the Salons thanking me for my card, with a full complement of wax samples. It made my morning.

scenester

I have and LOVE Serge Noire. To me, Noire smells as dark as one very creepy night. It howl with incense and dark petals. It seems mysterious that causes death or worst. Slightly sweet on the middle note and quickly grown butter wood at the end. The rich and longevity are superb!

15-01-2010
don't look down

Lutens is now launching a new sort of scent - L'Eau Serge Lutens - which has been described as 'l'anti-parfum'.

"This creation is my response to a world that is overscented... I might even say 'embalmed'... in the sense that the ritual of wearing perfume is no longer about romance but part of a meaningless ritual."

Here's the master himself in a conceptual video for the perfume:

http://www.salons-shiseido.fr/leau_serge_lutens/v/

don't look down

Oh yes - and Muscs Koublai Khan is now in the export line for a limited time, so it should be a little easier to get hold of a bottle at the moment.

rising star

^good news about Muscs Koublai Khan...

I'm still kicking myself for not getting any of the Bois series when I was in Paris (I bought Sarrasins bell jar for me and Vetiver Oriental for my mum instead). I love Bois et Fruits and Bois de Violette. Next time!

I also own and love Chergui, Gris Clair and Miel de Bois. My all time favourite SL fragrance and one of my top fragrances since I started wearing perfume as a teenager is Feminite du Bois. So so SO glad to see it come out in Lutens' line after it got discontinued by Shiseido.

16-02-2010
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite_Brite View Post
where can one buy these? or maybe order samples?
I'm going to echo this question, because I've decided I need to try out MKK. It seems like an important rite of passage.

I've also been dying to try Ambre Sultan and Serge Noire.

16-02-2010
Soviet Camaro

Barneys and Neiman Marcus carry Serge Lutens, so if you can get to one of the stores, you can try them there.

Other than that, the only samples I know of are the wax ones you can request from Les Salons. I've never seen liquid samples.

don't look down

I get my liquid samples from Les Senteurs in London, although I have to report that MKK turns into a soft musk on my skin, with slight tones of leather. I like it, but it's not the feral monster of perfumery myth and legend, perhaps on a man, but not me.

Borneo 1834 opens with this wonderful blast of spices and flowers, which soon reduced to what's been described elsewhere as 'high grade hash' - I had to layer it with something else before going out.

I have a full bottle of Ambre Sultan somewhere, it's gone off slightly with the passing of time, but I still wear it sometimes when I'm alone in the house, I can't imagine the world appreciating the harshness of what it's become. It would probably work really well if I turned it into a soap, but it seems like a sad end for a Lutens scent, to get turned into something as mundane as that.

Serge Noire I like, Clair de Musc was too soft for me, but the one I've worn the most this winter was Cedre, it reminds me of the fragrant green dampness of moss in the forest and the sap within the wood.

Cuir Mauresque I'd love to get a liquid sample to try, but I suppose I'll have to wait until it takes its turn in the export line.

windowshopping

you can order serge lutens samples on theperfumeshoppe.com and theperfumedcourt.com

16-02-2010
Soviet Camaro

Good call, *Truffaut*, I forgot about theperfumedcourt.

tigerrouge, I have the same experience with Muscs Koublai Khan; a soft vegetal/floral musk, very pleasant. *shrugs*

Frozen irony.

I recently bought Chergui and I adore it!

Chêne is also an old favourite of mine.

The Paris boutique will send you samples.

Last edited by pucci_mama; 16-02-2010 at 07:26 PM.
16-02-2010
barcode

Thanks everyone. The Perfumed Court is literally my new best friend.

I'm surprised to hear about MKK. You read about it and it's made to sound so epic, all sweat, dirty sheets and disheveled hair.

15-06-2010
don't look down

Two new fragrances from Serge Lutens are set to come out in 2010, with Bas de Soie launched in June, and Boxeuses set to appear in September. Reviews suggest Bas de Soie seems to be an iris and hyacinth scent that follows along the 'clean' lines of L'Eau Serge Lutens. Boxeuses will be "a woody leather fragrance with gourmand accents including plum and licorice".

tfs star

Oh how could I have missed this! I adore Serge Lutens...although most of his scents I find too heavy and spicy to suit me personally, Nuits de Cellophane is my favorite, and Sa Majesté La Rose is one of the most amazing rose perfumes in existence. L'eau de SL is also beautiful but too light and disappears quickly...

The bottles and names are beautiful too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fragrances, lutens, serge