How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-02-2011
don't look down

Luten's first new scent for 2011 is about to be launched - Jeux de Peau is described as a gourmand scent for both genders that's supposed to evoke the smell of buttered toast. Perfume Shrine reported:

Quote:
The formula like a nurturing and appetising breakfast of tartines and butter exhibits pronounced sandalwood/milky notes at the top, progressing into a "toast accord" with a few sweeter and floral facets next (reminiscent of rosewood), alongside sweeter and spicier ones such as a mix of licorice and coconut. The finish is built around a fruity touch (between apricot and osmanthus).

"It gets me back to the 'don't forget to pick up the bread on the way back from school!' At the boulangerie at the end of the road, its captivating odour and its blond and warm light, a golden moment..." says Serge. To recreate this harmony, Lutens and his perfumer have assembled dozens of essences, but also wheat and barley.
There's also talk of another new release, Vitriol d'Oeillet, for this summer, possibly as a Paris exclusive.

12-02-2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
that's supposed to evoke the smell of buttered toast.
Wow, I'm not sure how that will come across but as it's a Serge fragrance it'll be beautiful regardless I'm sure. Keen to smell it!

technicolor tweed

I love gourmands... and buttered toast sounds delicious!!!

20-02-2011
don't look down

I got a sample of Jeux de Peau from Serge Lutens, and I was most amused that it did smell of buttery continental bread on me, with a touch of crystallised sweetness, like crunchy honeycomb. Eventually, hours later, I'm left with a light undertone of cedar or incense, something a bit autumnal and burnt, yet still warm and milky.

I see one blog has described it as a 'woody gourmand', I would agree with that... it's a scent that I would wear for myself, so I could marvel at how my own skin smells to me, rather than as a perfume that might please or impress the nose of other people.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
I got a sample of Jeux de Peau from Serge Lutens, and I was most amused that it did smell of buttery continental bread on me, with a touch of crystallised sweetness, like crunchy honeycomb. Eventually, hours later, I'm left with a light undertone of cedar or incense, something a bit autumnal and burnt, yet still warm and milky.

I see one blog has described it as a 'woody gourmand', I would agree with that... it's a scent that I would wear for myself, so I could marvel at how my own skin smells to me, rather than as a perfume that might please or impress the nose of other people.
that sounds divine . . . I haven't been to a Serge Lutens counter at Barney's for a while because the ladies have always been SO pushy, but I might have to stop in to smell this one.

barcode

^ Actually since Serge Lutens will have online shopping for the US starting in April you can now request samples through the website without having to deal with overeager SAs.

28-02-2011
front row

^really? that would be amazing . . . most sites won't let you request samples unless it's with a purchase, though.

barcode

That doesn't seem to be the case with SL. I received a few samples from them after requesting the ones I was interested in. They were extremely generous with them, which is more than can be said for most companies.

Last edited by Spike413; 28-02-2011 at 05:51 PM.
28-02-2011
front row

Awesome, I'll definitely check it out!

don't look down

The launch of Vitriol d'Oeillet is imminent, with another new perfume, De Profundis, set to arrive in late autumn. From graindemusc.blogspot.com:

Quote:
Vitriol d’Oeillet is a fierce carnation that reminds us that "clove" and "nail" are the same word in French ("clou"), in the tough-powdery line of Bas de Soie, with hints of the lily which is really the carnation’s olfactory sister… Excerpt from the press release:

“After a moment of hesitation, the carnation – alias the clove pink – is what I am in every sense: this fragrance fraught with anger is my riposte. Its petals, laced with tiny teeth, hold out the solution: a burst of fragrant spikes. Would it make you smile to know that the wallflower packs a real fragrant punch, that the pepper comes from Cayenne and that the scent of cloves lies deep within this composition?”

De Profundis takes its name from Oscar Wilde’s letter to Alfred Douglas written in prison as well as Baudelaire’s “De Profundis Clamavi” (“Out of the Depths Have I Cried). It is built around the funereal chrysanthemum and, fatally, incense. The potion itself takes on the emblematic colour of the Decadents -- and of ink, to drive home the literary point --, "the color violet (love restrained, mysterious and veiled; the canoness' color)", wrote Baudelaire, veering towards the ultraviolet which is the only light capable of illuminating black. Excerpt from the press text:

“What if the hearse were taking the deceased, surrounded by abundant flourish, to a final resting place in France, and leading altar boys, priest, undertaker, beadle and grave-diggers to some sort of celebration where they could indulge gleefully in vice? Now that would be divine!”

Vitriol d’Oeillet is part of the export line. It will be launched in July at the Palais-Royal, then worldwide in September. De Profundis is part of the exclusive Palais-Royal line. It will be launched in October.

The limited edition bottles will be available in November. Both Louve and Serge Noire will also be edited in engraved bottles, the former with a Balinese puppet motif, the latter with a crucifix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lutens 1.jpg (8.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Lutens 2.jpg (7.3 KB, 3 views)

tfs star

I tried Jeux de Peau and I loved it...very seductive...I don't think it's for me though...

Oh, you all have to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Gxd...eature=related

Oh I don't know whether to snort with laughter for his utter pretention or kiss him for his utter unabashed purity...

"what is perfume? It is harmony with discord"...
"The cedar is the accused...I am the judge in love with the accused"...

in either case, gotta love him! What a character...
I love aesthetes like this, who live their artistic vision unapologetically, whatever it may be...

08-07-2011
barcode

I'm dying to try Vitriol d'Oelliet, and now having read about it, De Profundis.

Damn you and your non-export line Uncle Serge, damn you to hell!

13-09-2011
windowshopping

What are you think about Un Lys?

front row

sa majeste la rose is one of my favorite perfumes ever..i haven't sampled any other serge lutens though but i really want to test out louve, a la nuit, fleur d'oranger and un lys

don't look down

Lutens is about to release his second "L'Eau" - L'Eau Froide or Icy Incense. Reviewing a sample, Grain de Musc described it thus:

Quote:
Ripped out of the oriental formulas in which it is most commonly featured, [incense] is rather cold than warm, a quality Serge Lutens had already highlighted in the austere Encens et Lavande.

Though towards the drydown, L’Eau Froide takes on the slight mineral tinge of certain spring waters, throughout the development the stress is more on the adjective than the noun. The citrus-y, peppery and terpenic (as in pine and turpentine) facets of incense are boosted by mint and woody-aromatic notes likely to feature laurel and vetiver – the sinus-clearing effect is not unlike sucking a eucalyptus or pine-sap candy.

This salubrious splash is about as comfortable as an ice-cold shower until the very end, when the incense is finally coaxed by musk into releasing its rounder balsamic notes, at which point it takes on a warm, sweet, almost fatty tinge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fragrances, lutens, serge