How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-04-2007
fashion insider

Actually SKII is banned in some countries because it uses a substance that isn't approved by various countries..I can't remember the exact name but it's sorta dodgy. *will research*

29-04-2007
fashion insider

http://english.sina.com/business/p/1...921/89858.html
http://www.newsgd.com/culture/people...0609200049.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...2/ai_n16754614

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...ent_694757.htm

Short summary:

China's quality and inspection regulators in local cities, as well as the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, have asked the company to take action after finding trace amounts of chromium and neodymium in SK-II products, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.
Chromium and neodymium can cause skin allergies and other illnesses.

Last edited by misssakura; 29-04-2007 at 09:12 PM.
01-05-2007
trendsetter

I am shocked! Thanks for the info!

02-11-2007
backstage pass

wow i'm shocked with the comments on skII !!
i thought they were a reputable brand .... :S

V.I.P.

Sk-ii
Anyone tried their products? I just got the box of 6 Facial Treatment Masks and used one for the first time. It's a cloth drenched in the Pitera SK-II essence that you unfold and has the holes for your eyes and mouth and I left it for 10 mins on one side and 5 on the other, then wrung out the cloth and patted the huge amount into my skin. I could compare this to something, but I wont... It was kind of annoying that you could wring out so much product, because I bet a lot of people throw it away. I could have filled a shot glass.

Anyhow I know Pat McGrath has endorsed this line for Saks.com and a couple years ago I taped a Nightline story about women going to beauty counters with hidden cameras and seeing what all the "hoopla" was about this line....they (SK-II) claim that their potent ingredient is Pitera, a yeast that has been fermented in sake.

I googled 'pitera' and I came up with this from the Melbourne Board of Dermatology.

SK-II "Japanese" skincare with "Pitera" replicates the marketing template gullible women appear to adore, no matter how often it leaves them looking older:
  • a crock brand narrative to which themes of mystery, legend, magic, secrecy, international flavour and latent effectiveness are central;
  • a key, easy-to-understand active ingredient which is unique but technically meritless;
  • a confused product range characterized by irreconcilable skin treatment categories based on marketability rather than utility;
  • celebrity endorsement by individuals that owe their appearance not to the advertised product, but to fortunate genetics, plastic surgery, heavy medical cosmetic intervention, and an advertising machine placed to legitimise self-delusion.
The people at SK-II claim that Pitera is a safe byproduct of Sake production, however their products were withdrawn from the market in 2006 after quarantine officials found some examples contained toxic chromium and neodymium.

31-01-2008
little soul

Merged with existing thread

V.I.P.

Thanks for merging, I could not find any search results.

I fell asleep last night without putting products on my face and I woke up and my skin looked really good, glowy...I love these masks. I want to get the Essence now but I like to buy products in quantities of at least 2 because I hate running out.

Someone mentioned now that I can read the original thread that the results go away and their (they wrote 'your' I believed, but this is biased) skin looked terrible once going off of SK-II. Thats why you stay stocked up! Anything that's working will stop once you remove it...compare it to exercise, building muscle. If you quit going to the gym you'll lose your muscle. Quit the products, the rest explains itself.

Anyhow, who is still using SK-II. I am interested in about 5 things, as usual, when I become obsessed with a new line.

01-02-2008
fashion elite

I love the cleaning ritual of the product one word describes it WOW.....been using it for two months now and I have noticed a dramatic interest. Also, its a Japanese prodcut, and Japanese women are known to take care of their screen, so you can imagine how good the product is!

V.I.P.

What product is that, Dulcisima? One of their cleansers?

I'm going to buy
  • Facial Treatment Essence
  • Repair C Serum
  • LXP Ultimate Revival Cream
  • Signs Totality

21-04-2008
V.I.P.

I dont ever want to take off the Facial Treatment Masks! Pure luxury. I just keep it to myself that they are owned by Max Factor.

01-10-2010
V.I.P.

I def. want to try this brand out, but it is so friggin' expensive!

$80+, usually around the $100 range. O_O

But satisfaction brought it back
08-04-2013
V.I.P.

i am thinking about buying the facial treatment essence. i suppose it is like a toner.

does anyone own it?

rising star

I use it... used it for about 2 years

It is an after toner thing (they sell a toner too). ALmost like a watery serum

I use the eye film too and like them both

13-04-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
I use it... used it for about 2 years

It is an after toner thing (they sell a toner too). ALmost like a watery serum

I use the eye film too and like them both
do you use it at night, following cleansing and toning? or the AM before moisturizer with sunscreen?

i'm trying to figure out how i would fit it into my skin routine. i already have so many products i need to get go through!

V.I.P.

I use it AM & PM before moisturizer, actually, instead of a serum. The product exfoliates a bit, it may be too much, I mean: Essence + serum + moisturizer. For my skin the effect is the same I have with Advance Marine Biology Tonic from La Prairie but the essence is less perfumated and smoothes skin day by day...

It's a pity, because this lovely brand is no more sold here in Spain...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
skii