How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-03-2010
rising star

L-Glutathione prevents damage to cells, especially to red blood cells, by superoxides, so can be thought of as an antioxidant. However glutathione is not required in the diet, and in the body it is synthesised from the basic constituent units of protein. If ingested, it would be broken down into the basic building units of protein and be synthesised into other proteins that probably would not be glutathione.

13-10-2010
rising star

Where can I find Obagi online? I've used Murad, but it's only 2% and I wanted to try something with a little higher percentage.

Thank you!

15-10-2010
tfs star

has anyone tried Neostrata? they have a great lightening gel.

03-12-2010
V.I.P.

bumping the thread

I've got discolouration/pigmentation on my arms which I really want to do something about but I'm wary about using skin lightening products with hydroquinone etc in them...anyone using anything at the moment they'd recommend?

15-12-2010
front row

^
I have the same problem. I am black with fair skin and its hard to find good products to treat pigmentation/scarring.

17-12-2010
front row

I don't know if anyone already mentioned it but have you tried white henna? It helps a lot with the discolourations and stuff.

front row

^
Really? Never heard of that. Thanks for the tip. Off to google it.

17-12-2010
front row

^^^ Any time!

rising star

White henna? I've never heard of that either. Thanks for posting that WidowOfCulloden.

Has anyone tried it?

15-01-2011
V.I.P.

I've googled white henna and from what I've read it doesn't look very safe.
I think you have to mix it with hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. I'll pass. That's the same reason I won't touch anything with hydroquinone in it

10-05-2011
trendsetter

No offense, do Caucasian people need whitening products?
I am totally amazed by how Asian women are spending money on whitening products, even Estee Lauder also released kind of products in Asia market...
Seems most of those Japanese, Chinese and Korean girls tend to be as white as Caucasian ladies...so, I am wonderingdo Caucasian people need whitening products? Can companies selling whitening staffs get profitable outside the Asian market?

Last edited by balmain1914; 10-05-2011 at 04:51 AM.
10-05-2011
rising star

Well, I think that's an interesting question !
The thing is most caucasians nowaday want to look tanned. Maybe natural redheads tend to protect themselves from the sun to avoid freckles.

Being very pale myself, I often feel embarrassed because I kind of feel naked... So, no , I won't used whitening products or I will be ill looking. Even more ill looking than naturally...

10-05-2011
backstage pass

I think yes, if someone has pigmentation issues they need some whitener to get rid of them regardless of their race or coloring. Like getting rid of melasma, perma-tan, age spots, obvious sun damage... It's only possible with effective exfoliation and a pigment suppressor.
However I do find it weird to "whiten" skin for vanity reasons, but then again, I think the same about darkening skin for vanity reasons, aka tanning, but people constantly chase after the thing their don't have (not everyone, is a generalization). People with straight hair want curly, dark skinned people want lighter skin and vice versa. Not sure if they are happier/more whole when/if they get that though.

windowshopping

I use whitening products because my nose has hyperpigmentation spots that really bother me. I'm going to be getting dermabrasion next year and hopefully will make it a bit better. I'm very pale I wear Shiseido SPF60 PA+++ sunblock religiously and that combined with the whitening stuff seems to keep my nose from getting any worse.

I'm cool and pale, blue eyed with naturally dark brown hair and being tan just seems like it would look weird on me; I like my skin how it is because of the contrast it provides being so pale (I just want it even though).

10-05-2011
rising star

I guess it could be popular with anyone with pigmentation issues, usually that tends to be people with olive or darker skin. I use a whitening moisturiser from Shiseido because my olive skintone is a bit uneven. I read somewhere that one of the signs of aging in people with darker skin is an uneven skintone, whereas for people with fair skin it is wrinkles.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lightening, products, skin, whitening