How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-11-2005
front row

I'm pale anyway.. but without getting into the fancy whitening products, this is what visibly lightens up my skin due to how it exfoliates or peels... the difference has been noticed every time, it just refines away the dead layer of skin and the skin underneath looks much better. (Don't dry your face on a colored towel or I think it will bleach it.)

L'Oreal Refinish Microdermabrasion Kit
http://www.lorealparisusa.com/skinca...nish/index.asp

(they are about $20-$25 U.S. in the U.S. and I actually like the sunscreen that comes with it)

04-11-2005
scenester

you know the best thing is probably to go to your doctor, he/she will be able to prescribe for you something which has these active ingredients in high enough concentrations to actually work effectively - all this without the blown up prices of department store skin whitener/brighteners.

the best way of course is prevention: use a high SPF sunscreen and avoid sun exposure

04-11-2005
V.I.P.

thankies heaps everyone! haven't checked back here for a while since tFS keeps stuffing up on me anyway, i'll look into those products! thankies!

04-11-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiangsi1980
But personally I feel that whitening products are there to make the skin more transluscent and to even out the skin tone and not to bleach it.
No, this is exactly right. The Japanese love the idea of "delicate,translucent skin"--just enhancing your own naturally pale complexion, it's not a racial issue or anything. The products are not dangerous at all, they don't have BLEACH in them, they have a high conc. of Vitamin C to suppress melanin production...and so many people use them after tanning in the summer. I agree that peeling products and microdermabrasion should help in sloughing off the dead skin cells containing melanin, helping the turnover process along. But I highly doubt these products make naturally darker complexions whiter.

Kose' has a line "Sekkisui" which is a popular "whitening" line, as well as the Shiseido UV White line.

04-11-2005
V.I.P.

^Yeah...bleach products would be the illegal stuff they use in Jamaica to literally whiten the skin.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
04-11-2005
tfs star

Thanks for clarifying this,ladies.Because the thought of actual skin lightening creams is just...*scary*.

It does sound as if the lady posing the question wants something to actually lighten her skin colour,though...

Last edited by QuirkyCool; 04-11-2005 at 08:21 AM.
04-11-2005
trendsetter

^ I think chanel sells a whitening cream in Japan.

04-11-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuirkyCool
Thanks for clarifying this,ladies.Because the thought of actual skin lightening creams is just...*scary*.

It does sound as if the lady posing the question wants something to actually lighten her skin colour,though...
You're welcome Quirky! I totally understand where you're coming from, since lighter skin IS still valued in some cultures--probably as a remnant of Western colonialism, directly or indirectly--which is actually really sad.

I think the original poster perhaps just wants to undo her tan...she says "thanks to the Aussie sun"...maybe she's originally pale?...in which case obviously a higher SPF factor is needed...and if so, these "whitening" or "radiance" products will work...they do lighten spots and tans and scars.

04-11-2005
rising star

Haven't tried personally, so this is just speculation, not experience......
the current "whitening-du-jour" trend is to take a glutathione supplement.

It is supposedly very effective at shutting down your body's melanin production, which is what causes it to tan/darken. Darker people naturally have more melanin than naturally fair people.

I wouldn't count on it alone but maybe you're curious and can see..........

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande
since lighter skin IS still valued in some cultures--probably as a remnant of Western colonialism, directly or indirectly--which is actually really sad.
actually thats a very common misconception.. I once even saw that idea televised

preference for pale skin, in many cultures, comes from the idea that the pale skin are for the rich/wealthy. and since fashion used trickle from the top to the bottom, people found that beautiful. The rich women would never be dark since they didn't have to do any menial labour such as farming under the sun, etc..

In some places, they would always like to keep themselves plump to distinguish themselves from the poorer who could not afford as much food..

yeah so if one day this comes up in a trivial pursuit game..

04-11-2005
tfs star

What about lightening of freckles? I should have listened to my mother all these years and worn sunscreen everyday, but now I have freckles. At first it didn't bother me, but now some of the freckles are merging to form larger freckles and my skin is starting to look "dirty." I'm Asian, but have fair skin.

04-11-2005
front row

Dior Snow is a pretty awesome line. In regards to Asian cultures and wanting lighter skin, it is NOT a feat to become one of the Anglos, it's been a trait favored by their culture for thousand of years. Tanned skin means laborer and harshness, light skin is doll-like and delicate, that's just what they consider beautiful to them. However, I know a lot of asians who also like darker tanner skin to achieve that 'golden' glow too. So to each their own.

04-11-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande
I think the original poster perhaps just wants to undo her tan...she says "thanks to the Aussie sun"...maybe she's originally pale?...in which case obviously a higher SPF factor is needed...and if so, these "whitening" or "radiance" products will work...they do lighten spots and tans and scars.
yeah i was originally pale. when i came to Aus as a kid, i was actually pale but i didn't care much about it cos why would a kid care about their skin when they can play? but now i'm really regretting all those times i walked out without sunscreen/hat...

04-11-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky*
actually thats a very common misconception.. I once even saw that idea televised

preference for pale skin, in many cultures, comes from the idea that the pale skin are for the rich/wealthy. and since fashion used trickle from the top to the bottom, people found that beautiful. The rich women would never be dark since they didn't have to do any menial labour such as farming under the sun, etc..

In some places, they would always like to keep themselves plump to distinguish themselves from the poorer who could not afford as much food..

yeah so if one day this comes up in a trivial pursuit game..
Oh wow Pinky that makes total sense...thanks for that info!

06-11-2005
Of too many minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendrv
What about lightening of freckles? I should have listened to my mother all these years and worn sunscreen everyday, but now I have freckles. At first it didn't bother me, but now some of the freckles are merging to form larger freckles and my skin is starting to look "dirty." I'm Asian, but have fair skin.
You sound like you have the same type of complexion as my sis!

Her freckles have diminished after she started using SKII's Whitening source (I sound like a broken record, don't I?) and sunblock.
So maybe you'll like to try that out...

{*princessimp.blogspot.com*}
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lightening, products, skin, whitening