How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-09-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebutter
I'm filipino and you're right, in the Philippines they are really big on having light skin...I may be wrong but I believe most Asian countries are really into having light skin (to emanate western ideals, perhaps?)
I'm not into having lighter skin myself but I have used Eskinol Whitening Cleanser. I couldn't tell if it worked or not...lol! Eskinol has loads of whitening creams, soaps, cleansers and they seem to work pretty well.
Pale skin has been prized in many Asian cultures since ancient times.. before most of them knew about Western civilization! It traditionally signified that folks were well-off enough to take care of their complexions and not be outside all day. Though, in future this may change as many parts of Asia are being flooded with modern Western ideals.. primarily for men though, as this article ( http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/china_tanning_dc ) discusses.

16-09-2006
V.I.P.

If you use cucumber juice mixed with lemon juice (equal quantities) and leave it on an hour or so, it'll lighten the skin slightly. Also honey and cucumber or just lime juice.

16-09-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
What about lightening of freckles? I should have listened to my mother all these years and worn sunscreen everyday, but now I have freckles. At first it didn't bother me, but now some of the freckles are merging to form larger freckles and my skin is starting to look "dirty." I'm Asian, but have fair skin.
I really recommend these two products...I've been using them for a week now and they faded the freckles on my arms.

http://www.godivaskincare.com/shoppi...3&cat=7&page=1

http://www.godivaskincare.com/shoppi...3&cat=7&page=2

Just be sure to wear a good physical sunblock over them during the day!

Last edited by yahoooooo; 16-09-2006 at 04:54 PM.
17-09-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessImp.
I guess it really all boils down to different cultural perspectives. It's true that these products are all the rage in East Asia, mostly because the perspection over there is that it's more elegant to have fairer skin.

But personally I feel that whitening products are there to make the skin more transluscent and to even out the skin tone and not to bleach it.
Now who wouldn't want a flawless complexion?

I find that SKII products work very well for me, especially its treatment essence. It doesn't really make me fairer, which is good, but it does an excellent job of evening out skin tone and giving it a luminous glow!

Another personal fav of mine is Lancome's whitening serum - works like a charm! My pimple scars from teenage years have long faded because of it!

And of course the most essential ingredient in any skincare routine is a good sunblock with SPF!
agree. im chinese with skin that is super pale that come of my asian friend will make fun of me actually im a drugsotre stuff call pinkie white from biore, with should reduce melanin production on my face and more transculantness i guess lol

18-09-2006
front row

my boyfriend has gotten me a supply of Retin A (topical)
here is some background info:

One of the tretinoin creams is used to treat fine wrinkles, dark spots, or rough skin on the face caused by damaging rays of the sun. It works by lightening the skin, replacing older skin with newer skin, and by slowing down the way the body removes skin cells that may have been harmed by the sun. Tretinoin works best when used within a skin care program that includes protecting the treated skin from the sun. However, it does not completely or permanently erase these skin problems or greatly improve more obvious changes in the skin, such as deep wrinkles caused by sun or the natural aging process.

Its pretty hardcore, so im going to be really careful with it. I'll keep you updated on my progress.

20-09-2006
fashion insider

I tried the Shiseido White Lucient and I wasn't impressed. It didn't seem to brighten my skin at all and I actually got a blackhead from it!

I tried the DiorSnow lightening foaming cleanser and while it does give me a bright complexion, I think I've had better. I switched to L'Occitane Immortelle Brightening Cleansing foam and that seems to do as good a job, if not better than the DiorSnow.

Or it could just be that my skin got used to the DiorSnow. I don't know

Anyway, the L'Occitane does a good job of keeping my skin bright but I'm still looking for that product that will give me a porcelain complexion

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy663
Pale skin has been prized in many Asian cultures since ancient times.. before most of them knew about Western civilization! It traditionally signified that folks were well-off enough to take care of their complexions and not be outside all day. Though, in future this may change as many parts of Asia are being flooded with modern Western ideals.. primarily for men though, as this article ( http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/china_tanning_dc ) discusses.
Thanks for that information . I had no idea. Thats really interesting though and it makes a lot of sense, lol

29-11-2006
rising star

Yeah, I think a lot of Asian countries are into lighter skin. One of my asian friends has a bottle of lightening cream. Can't say that it makes a difference though.

07-01-2007
rising star

Do people in the Asia generally work hard at physically blocking out the sun from their homes, bedrooms, and so on with drapery, as much as they avoid it outside? I'm interested in knowing to what lengths people go to completely block out the sun/daylight from the chance of it touching them.

It seems like complete avoidance of the sun--or more accurately, daylight-- is the one surefire way to prevent photodamaging, but it also seems like one would miss the bright, clear beauty of daylight and live in darkness by doing this.

09-01-2007
trendsetter

^ huh??? we go outside and do stuff, it just that we use a lot of sunscreen and mayb use UV-proof umbrella to block sunlight....

rising star

in your homes, what lengths do you go to block out the sun? do you keep your drapes/blinds shut all the time to keep light out?

10-01-2007
trendsetter

I was searching online for home remedy skin lightening methods, and the most popular one seemed to be bathing in peroxide. Seriously.

10-01-2007
trendsetter

^ bleaching is different from those skin lightener... i think bleaching is literally stip melanin from the deep skin layer with those product mentioned in the thread are basically reduce the skin releasing extra hormone as braking down the old one, say sunspot or the tan u got, but otherwise it shouldn't do anything that is very dramatic, because idealy the product supose to make u a bit more fairer not all the way.......

and o0ceania i think u've head the wrong direction of the question

trendsetter

No, I said it right. It's a skin lightening method. You cannot "bleach" with diluted 3% peroxide. (possibly less, cannot recall)

10-01-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateelle
No, I said it right. It's a skin lightening method. You cannot "bleach" with diluted 3% peroxide. (possibly less, cannot recall)
can you show me the product u find on internet???

because whitening product (like cream, lotion, sun screen, make up base, and so on) they sell on market are not bleaches as far as I am aware of because it will be eventually worn out the skin and should cause irrtation and those bad-quality product are more prone of having heavy chemical like mercury and such.

read marqueemoon's post at #50:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
Good whitening products don't bleach your skin, apparently. I've never done whitening because my skin is already fair, but I've read about it. Here's a helpful article:

Last edited by jjbunny79; 10-01-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lightening, products, skin, whitening