How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / The Beauty Cupboard
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-04-2007
trendsetter

jjbunny, benzolperoxide can be used for bleaching, it's often used in acne treatments. unfortunately, it can make everything worse if you tend to hyperpigmentation (as I do )

29-04-2007
backstage pass

does skin whiteners even work?

11-05-2007
V.I.P.

Has anyone tried Clarins "Bright Plus" ?

11-05-2007
windowshopping

for acne scars, i started using dermadoctor immaculate cream,... it's only been a week and i notice a big difference in my skin. but for lightening, i am not sure it works. i'll have to keep using and see if i notice a difference. i tried this whitening line by lancome in japan and also shiseido UV white, but it doesn't work and i spent a fortune on it.

17-05-2007
Spring of Cůrdoba

lemon juice doesn't do anything. atleast not to me >_<

rising star

Lemon juice is the most effective thing you will ever try for lightening skin and you've got nothing to lose.If you try some product there's a risk you'll be left with discolored uneven skin for the rest of your life.

17-05-2007
& b

Clarins Bright Plus is very very similar to Diorsnow, I've tried them both, and personally I like Dior better. Clarins' spf has less amount and its sorta greasy, and the scent is too "plant extract-y".

But! I have been using Shiseido's White Lucent for a long time now, I discovered that it works way better and faster than Diorsnow, but the prices are higher of course. But soo worth it. The serum is amazing. The toner and face wash I could care less about, same as every other face wash n toner.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
But! I have been using Shiseido's White Lucent for a long time now, I discovered that it works way better and faster than Diorsnow, but the prices are higher of course. But soo worth it. The serum is amazing. The toner and face wash I could care less about, same as every other face wash n toner.
What moisterizer do you use? Do you use thiers?

17-05-2007
& b

No I just use the serum, because here in miami the weather is soo hot, I can get away with only using the serum. But, if I had to wear a moisturizer, the shiseido white lucent one is fantastic.

trendsetter

Thanks. I am in Atlanta so is can get pretty humid here too. Think I am going to try it. I have some brown spots from sun damage and hormones.

18-05-2007
backstage pass

I posted this link in the Pale Skin thread, but I guess it helps here as well. Below is reviews of the products, and I'm on the way of finding them when money isn't an issue at the moment.

http://www.gothbandphotos.com/prettygothic/lightening/

Quote:
Hydroquionine or HQ is the most popular and effective ingredient out there, and is the standard for comparison of all other lighteners. Percentages range from 2% -10% and are usually combined with other ingredients (namely, Tretinoin) to make them more effective. Results usually appear after 2-4 weeks of usage, and plateau after about 4 months.

This product is usually safe overall, but a small percentage of people may experience mild skin irritation or, more famously, exogenus ochronosis. This condition is basically the opposite of what your intentions with lightening are, causing darker skin, mutations and irregularities where applied. However, only those using very high percentages of HQ are at risk, and the product must be used for years before the condition appears. These risks are very minimal with advanced combinations in formulas, but if you get your hands on pure HQ, know the risk of prolonged use and definitely discontinue if itís not working after 4-6 weeks.

N-acetyl-4-S-cysteaminylphenol is also effective, and has been found to be less irritating than HQ. A study of 12 patients with melasma (brown pigmentation on the cheeks, around the eyes and sometimes on the forehead or above the lip) showed a 66% improvement after 4 weeks of use.

Azelaic acid is a naturally occurring substance that has been shown to be as effective as a 4% HQ, when mixed with glycolic acid. Itís a little more irritating than HQ, so those with sensitive skin beware.

Kojic Acid is an antioxidant that is actually consumed in Japan for good health. Topically applied, concentrations range from 1-4%. This is as effective as but more irritating than HQ. DO NOT use any products containing mercury. This will not make you more authentic. It will make you more goth, however, because you will be dead.
If you decide to use a lightener, follow the directions. Some companies, like Shiseido, sell entire lines of products to achieve optimal effects. Iím not rich so I use one product, although I would love to see if there would be a big difference. Results are usually noticeable after 3-4 weeks of daily use, and will fade after discontinuing use. Bleaching cream is usually applied before any moisturizers or makeup, and moisturizer is recommended to soothe the slight exfoliation effect of the lightening ingredients. You must use a sunscreen of at least 30 SPF everyday because your skin will be more susceptible to sun damage since it will have less to protect it naturally, and any exposure will counteract the lightenerís effect. After 4 months of use, you must give your skin a 30 day break.

After two weeks of using Philosophyís "A Pigment of Your Imagination," I noticed an overall evenness of complexion. Past acne scars and freckles faded, but there was no incredible increase of paleness. It did save me time in putting on makeup because I had less to even out with cover-up. A nice dermatologist or plastic surgeon will assist in stronger concentrations if you are really intent on optimal whiteness. But here are a few over the counter brands that may be helpful -- all products and descriptions can be found at sephora.com. And remember, the price goes up with the potency:

Some Lighteners to Try

Dr. Brandt lightening gel $65
Awake Nano lotion white $40
DDF Skin brightening soap $20 and Intensive Holistic Lightener $45
Decleor Whitening Series $48-$75
Komenuka Bijin Essence (contains no HP!) $40
Philosophy A Pigment of Your Imagination $22
Peter Thomas Roth Lightener Line $45-$110 (they even have a body lightener!)
Phytomer Complete Line $25-$54

Homemade recipes

(I have not tried these, but Iím sure you can achieve some effect with them)

Buttermilk Mask (lactic acid in milk lightens, soothes, and hydrates) 3 Tbl. pulverized bran, 4 Tbl. buttermilk. Mix in food processor until it becomes a paste. Apply for 20 min. and rinse with warm water. Splash with cool water and pat dry.

Lemon Skin Lightening Pack 2 T. fullerís earth (found at health food stores), 1 tsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. buttermilk. Mix all ingredients into a paste and apply in light, upward strokes. Leave on for 20 min. Rinse with Skin Lightening Tonic.

Lightening Toner 1 lemon, sliced, 1cup white wine, 1 T. sugar. Place lemon slices and wine in a glass or enamel pot and bring to a boil one minute. Remove from heat, stir in the sugar, let cool. Strain the mixture and store in a tightly capped bottle. Use as a refresher and after masks. Makes 8 oz.

Rose Mask 1 cup heavy cream, 1 t. vanilla, 1 T. honey, petals of one rose. Process lightly in food processor and leave on for 10 min.

07-06-2007
trendsetter

biotherm in Asia have a new line call "White Detox" something.
anyone heard of?!

backstage pass

Obagi. It's expensive but it works. . .maybe it works too well.

07-06-2007
flaunt the imperfection

i think the only thing that really works is a peel...
i think products are just a marketing gimmick...

07-06-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i think the only thing that really works is a peel...
i think products are just a marketing gimmick...
I disagree. As someone who used Obagi, my skin has lightened 2-3 shades in a month. I've stopped using one of the creams because it was lightening my fact too quickly and not evenly.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
lightening, products, skin, whitening